Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clerical Officer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

160103 wrote: »
    those of you who chose two locations, and have passed the interview, were you assigned oom for both locations? i've received oom only for my second choice but no correspondence for the first one

You receive an OOM for both, but perhaps your 1st location isn't ready to hire yet? At all stages I received an OOM for both locations. Like you my interview was for my 2nd location but I still got a revised OOM for my 1st choice after interview. Email PAS. They are very helpful and reply very quickly to emails.

I rang them when I received my notification for interview and only my 2nd choice was written down in the email. They said that interview carries through for both locations but that some regions move more quickly than others and perhaps my 1st choice wasn't ready and didn't have vacancies yet to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Murzo

If you are called for your second choice location and you refuse it are you just 'dropped' from that location panel entirely or will you also be dropped from your 1st choice location also ..?

You get one offer per location. So if you have Westmeath and offaly picked and are offered Offaly and accept then you are off the panel for good. If you get offered Offaly and turn it down then you will still be open to an offer from Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Murzo

Snicks wrote: »
    I selected two locations only received oom for one so far from interview, but pre interview I had an oom for both

What OOM did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 160103

Just called PAS and the reason why I got only one oom and that one only for the location I was called for the interview (although the interview is valid for both selected locations) is because they didn't reach my oom for the interview for the other location. Once they reach my oom for my other location they won't call me in for the interview because I've already done it, they will just use my results to assign me another oom for that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Snicks

Murzo wrote: »
    I selected two locations only received oom for one so far from interview, but pre interview I had an oom for both

What OOM did you get?

Top 8

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nynaeve

Kitsgirl1 wrote: »
    Really? Oh thanks for that. A friend of mine is in for the WEXFORD and Waterford panels.
    She passed, with amazing scores in the competencies - 46, 45, 46 and 45 . She is placed 5th for Waterford, it hasn’t heard about WEXFORD yet. Perhaps she will hear in the morning.

Did your friend hear yet? With those scores, im wondering what the hold up is!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sallydolly40

Nynaeve wrote: »
    Did your friend hear yet? With those scores, im wondering what the hold up is!

her stage 2 results would determine when you are interviewed. would have been called for waterford but not yet wexford as less people called to interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Passed the interview but only just judging by my scores. Went from top 5 for both locations to top 10.

Is the oom assigned now our final number or is it subject to change after more have been interviewed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

laoisgem wrote: »
    Passed the interview but only just judging by my scores. Went from top 5 for both locations to top 10.

Is the oom assigned now our final number or is it subject to change after more have been interviewed?

Final number for the batch you're I .

• Advertisement

laoisgem wrote: »

Final number for the batch you're in .

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sallydolly40

i know this has been asked before but im still unsure. how does going from county council offices to civil service or vice versa work?

i previously worked for a cc but my time there doesnt seem to count if i start work in civil service but somebody told me they worked in a college admin role and when moved to civil service time counted on the pay scale.

surely public work is public work. why do people move from the civil service after being there years to cc offices then. can anybody explain? i dont see why it has be such a grey area.

so by my understanding if i move from cc to civil service you dont move scale but if you go from civil service to cc you can. maybe gaps apply i did 8 years service but 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 liniloo

i know this has been asked before but im still unsure. how does going from county council offices to civil service or vice versa work?

i previously worked for a cc but my time there doesnt seem to count if i start work in civil service but somebody told me they worked in a college admin role and when moved to civil service time counted on the pay scale.

surely public work is public work. why do people move from the civil service after being there years to cc offices then. can anybody explain? i dont see why it has be such a grey area.

so by my understanding if i move from cc to civil service you dont move scale but if you go from civil service to cc you can. maybe gaps apply i did 8 years service but 6 years ago.

Incremental credit is only given if you’re currently working in the public service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

liniloo wrote: »
    Incremental credit is only given if you’re currently working in the public service.

I don't believe that is accurate.

Time served as a TCO in the Public/ Civil Service counts towards incremental credit and by the nature of Temp work, there is always a gap in service.

For the record, I also think @sallydolly40 is mistaken about time served with CC. I believe it does count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

I think this circular should help with the increments and previous service questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

I don't believe that is accurate.

Time served as a TCO in the Public/ Civil Service counts towards incremental credit and by the nature of Temp work, there is always a gap in service.

Correct. I checked with DPER payroll section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

I was called for cork was in the top five and down to the late teens now so I'd guess at least 20 called to interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭podsull1

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Correct. I checked with DPER payroll section.

So do you go up scale if you had 3months contract for a year and half. Is that taken into consideration

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

podsull1 wrote: »
    So do you go up scale if you had 3months contract for a year and half. Is that taken into consideration

Thanks

Yes. They will check with the appropriate HR section.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

liniloo wrote: »

That is true if you are taking up a position with a local authority, but for this campaign they take past service into account even if you break service.

• Advertisement

It says on 2016 thread that some counties will be really slow to move for this campaign due to mobility (transfers) as the 2016 competition didn’t have this to factor in. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so why was there no transfer list part of 2016 panel??

SB1982 wrote: »
    It says on 2016 thread that some counties will be really slow to move for this campaign due to mobility (transfers) as the 2016 competition didn’t have this to factor in. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so why was there no transfer list part of 2016 panel??

I don't think mobility was a simple process up until now and some departments were less incline to use mobility. The new mobility programme which came in earlier this year means that 50% of all CO vacancies must be filled by mobility.

In (tranfer out) counties more vacancies will be created for external candidates but (transfer in) counties there will be less vacancies for external candidates. So some counties will move way faster than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭blondie007

Can I ask when you had your interview for Cork please ? All the very best to you.

blondie007 wrote: »
    Can I ask when you had your interview for Cork please ? All the very best to you.

The second week of October :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Skippy21

Email PAS this morning, currently for the aptitude test they have called for:

Clare – 46

Limerick – 198

Hopefully they call the next round of people soon for the second round of assessments. That it will move fast and won't be waiting until the end of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JohnnyD17

Did anyone get an oom for Offaly yet? I never got one but am on Laois panel.

I was 15 for Offaly and 27 for Westmeath and got called to interview for Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JohnnyD17

For the Stage 2 results in Westmeath I received mine about 2 hours later than others on boards, so that's probably the case. Also anyone know how many were called for interview in Westmeath?

I don't know the total but I am 27 and got called for November 14th

Do the rates on this circular reflect the pay for new entrants coming on stream?
    It says it came into effect from 1st of October.

If so it says starting rate "Clerical Officer is now €24,039(PPC)" and "Clerical Officer €23,338"
    What does PPC mean and which one applies to new entrants from this campaign?

https://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/per/2018/16.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Annie K64

Do the rates on this circular reflect the pay for new entrants coming on stream?

If so it says starting rate "Clerical Officer is now €24,039(PPC)" and "Clerical Officer €23,338"

The PPC is that you are liable to pay full PRSI on your wages. The PPC is applied to the 23,338 wage not the 24,039 wage. And its the 23,338 you'll be starting on.

Annie K64 wrote: »

The PPC is that you are liable to pay full PRSI on your wages. The PPC is applied to the 23,338 wage not the 24,039 wage. And its the 23,338 you'll be starting on.

PPC is personal pension contribution and it applys to all new entrants. You start on the PPC rates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Noseyaf

Has anyone that has completed interview got any tips? What type of questions were asked? IS it suited and booted or more casual?

Noseyaf wrote: »
    Has anyone that has completed interview got any tips? What type of questions were asked? IS it suited and booted or more casual?

Suit and tie. Know your competencies and have examples. Know how send an email to several recipients and maintain privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Anniesland

Know your cv. I got questioned quite extensively on work not related to my clerical experience.

Once you know the competencies and have work situations that relate back to them you’ll be fine.

They’re very nice and one comes out and sits with you before you go in and puts you at ease.

They asked me specifically the competencies based on a particular role e.g during your time working at “X” tell me about a time when you felt you gave good customer service. For each role on your cv be able to tie the 4 competencies back to it.

The men being interviewed were all wearing suits, the ladies blazers and trousers or dress and jacket. The people interviewing were smart casual.

Never go to an interview casual! Why would you even think that?

Know your 4 competencies really well. Really well!

Know your CV like the back of your hand. Know your job history, and any gaps.

Know how to send a group email!

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Thats twice I have seen the group email question mentioned but I wasnt asked that at all. As already mentioned, know the 4 competencies inside and out and have examples you can give for each one of them. At the very end of the interview I had already used up all my examples (i had a dozen or more of them prepared) and had to remember one on the fly to match the question being asked, which I did thankfully.

Always wear your best business attire and be neatly presented. Dont give away easy marks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Noseyaf

Nynaeve wrote: »
    Never go to an interview casual! Why would you even think that?

Know your 4 competencies really well. Really well!

Know your CV like the back of your hand. Know your job history, and any gaps.

Know how to send a group email!

Good luck!

Thanks for the help just to clarify I didn’t say casual I said more casual

On the broad outfit spectrum there is multiple options and categories inbetween suits and casual, I was just curious as to where and what people were veering towards

On the broad outfit spectrum there is multiple options and categories inbetween suits and casual, I was just curious as to where and what people were veering towards

You're right, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to jump on you.

From what I saw, everyone was dressed to the nines.

I really recommend knowing your CV back to front. And be sure you know how to send a group email!
    All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Know what GDPR is... it's been asked multiple times including myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Know what GDPR is... it's been asked multiple times including myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Goldenkt

Some people were fully dressed up when I went. Suits and heels. I just wore jeans, neat shoes, plain jumper and nice jacket.. some might say I was underdressed but I moved to first OOM in my area so I don’t think it made much of a difference.

Goldenkt wrote: »
    Some people were fully dressed up when I went. Suits and heels. I just wore jeans, neat shoes, plain jumper and nice jacket.. some might say I was underdressed but I moved to first OOM in my area so I don’t think it made much of a difference.
    Lol! I was fully dressed up, heels and all. I'm first in my two areas. So maybe it literally doesn't matter at a? !

Anyone who's been placed on panel gotten any further word. Wondering will be waiting until new year...
    Why yes I am the most impatient person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Anyone who's been placed on panel gotten any further word. Wondering will be waiting until new year...

Highly likely.

I read somewhere that a guy who placed first for his county on the 2016 campaign didn't get a job till February 2017.

Just sit back and relax and enjoy the Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WinterSun100

With respect to the special vetting for AGS garda stations, will I fail if a family member has a conviction. Younger brother has a marijuana conviction from a few years back and possible still on the radar. Never broke the law myself but just thinking this will cause the vetting to fail? Does any one have information as to where I can check on this?

• Advertisement

With respect to the special vetting for AGS garda stations, will I fail if a family member has a conviction. Younger brother has a marijuana conviction from a few years back and possible still on the radar. Never broke the law myself but just thinking this will cause the vetting to fail? Does any one have information as to where I can check on this?

Highly doubt it. It will most likely be bog standard garda vetting.

I'm the same...anxiously waiting for someone to comment and say "they got the call". Once we see that then we'll all know we're en route lol :) This is like a holding pen at the minute lol

I'm the same...anxiously waiting for someone to comment and say "they got the call". Once we see that then we'll all know we're en route lol :) This is like a holding pen at the minute lol

Holding pen is exactly it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭claregal1

Garda vetting and references all have to be done before you are placed as well . These campaigns move pretty slowly . I was 9 on another panel ..interview in Sept and wasn't placed until March of the following year - just to give you a time frame . Also Clare is extremely slow to hire staff so my advise is it you are on the Clare / Limerick panel and get offered Limerick to take it . You can apply after the years probation to go on the transfer list then .

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

I currently work in a garda station and I had a speeding ticket from 4 years previously. It held my vetting back 4 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement