Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clerical Officer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Laraghcon21

I currently work in a garda station and I had a speeding ticket from 4 years previously. It held my vetting back 4 months.

I wonder how/why it would hold the vetting back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Noseyaf

With respect to the special vetting for AGS garda stations, will I fail if a family member has a conviction. Younger brother has a marijuana conviction from a few years back and possible still on the radar. Never broke the law myself but just thinking this will cause the vetting to fail? Does any one have information as to where I can check on this?

Highly unlikely i know someone who’s son has a long list of former convictions and it didn’t have any affect

I currently work in a garda station and I had a speeding ticket from 4 years previously. It held my vetting back 4 months.

Out of interest did you declare it on the form?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sallydolly40

Goldenkt wrote: »
    Some people were fully dressed up when I went. Suits and heels. I just wore jeans, neat shoes, plain jumper and nice jacket.. some might say I was underdressed but I moved to first OOM in my area so I don’t think it made much of a difference.

must have been a really nice jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 5 south82

Had a look at the 2016 thread and a contributor there was told that the 2016 panel was finished on the 2nd of November and PAS are now working from the 2018 panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

south82 wrote: »
    Had a look at the 2016 thread and a contributor there was told that the 2016 panel was finished on the 2nd of November and PAS are now working from the 2018 panel.

I said it on this thread as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WinterSun100

Noseyaf wrote: »
    Highly unlikely i know someone who’s son has a long list of former convictions and it didn’t have any affect

Hope you are right, waiting on vetting for 4 months now from 2016 campaign, heard from someone else that they were not cleared due to a first cousin conviction....of a slightly worse conviction even though they didn't even know them personally.

Hope you are right, waiting on vetting for 4 months now from 2016 campaign, heard from someone else that they were not cleared due to a first cousin conviction....of a slightly worse conviction even though they didn't even know them personally.

That seems so unreasonable and surely something that can be appealed
    Everyone has a dodge cousin surely their poor life choices shouldn’t forever directly affect you

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

^^^ I honestly can’t see any truth in that. Why would someone be punished for their cousin - you don’t put your family details on the form - I’ve a first cousin on the run and I got through-

• Registered Users Posts: 18 usename18

No offence, but that cannot be the issue.
    You can't go to jail for a relative, so it can't affect your vetting process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

I wonder how/why it would hold the vetting back?

There was all kinds of complications surrounding it, cause they thought I was living across the border at the time. Eejits down in Thurles couldn't understand that I just drove in to college and still lived in the south....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dublingirlx

Can I just ask those who have been offered jobs and who are waiting to get their documents etc in order, do you actually know at the time of being offered a job early on, where exactly in your county you are being placed? For example, some here have said that they were offered a job and didn't actually start until a few months later by the time they got their garda vetting etc sorted. So come the time you are ready to start, will you know where exactly you are starting at the time you have been offered the job or could you be placed anywhere within your county at the time of actually starting? So if say I'm offered a job now in my local hospital and then, lets say, come February, I have all my documents etc together and I am ready to start, can they say 'we are now placing you in 'said' clinic' which is miles away? Hope I don't sound confusing in what I am trying to ask?

No when the job offer comes out it will state where the offer is for and if you accept that job will be struck off their list and you will start there whenever everything is cleared and ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

Can I just ask those who have been offered jobs and who are waiting to get their documents etc in order, do you actually know at the time of being offered a job early on, where exactly in your county you are being placed? For example, some here have said that they were offered a job and didn't actually start until a few months later by the time they got their garda vetting etc sorted. So come the time you are ready to start, will you know where exactly you are starting at the time you have been offered the job or could you be placed anywhere within your county at the time of actually starting? So if say I'm offered a job now in my local hospital and then, lets say, come February, I have all my documents etc together and I am ready to start, can they say 'we are now placing you in 'said' clinic' which is miles away? Hope I don't sound confusing in what I am trying to ask?

As far as I know. No one on this panel has been offered a job yet. Only on the 2016 panel.

The thing I’m nervous about is when you get the call to tell you they’ve reached your number and then they ask for references and want to speak to current employer...what if it takes months for everything to clear and you still have to work away in your current role even though they know you’re leaving. You can’t hand in your notice until you have a start date so it makes things awkward.

No when the job offer comes out it will state where the offer is for and if you accept that job will be struck off their list and you will start there whenever everything is cleared and ready to go.

Great so the place you are offered is a definite regardless of how long it takes from the time you are offered the position and the actual day you start?

SB1982 wrote: »
    As far as I know. No one on this panel has been offered a job yet. Only on the 2016 panel.

The thing I’m nervous about is when you get the call to tell you they’ve reached your number and then they ask for references and want to speak to current employer...what if it takes months for everything to clear and you still have to work away in your current role even though they know you’re leaving. You can’t hand in your notice until you have a start date so it makes things awkward.

it is just a 'what if' question?
    Also I think it is somewhat good in some ways being able to give plenty of notice to an employer. Yes it might be a bit awkward for you working away there for a few months and everyone knowing you are leaving but me personally, it would give me plenty of time to train someone new to do my old job. I get what you are saying though. Once you have handed your notice in, you just want to get out of there asap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lamb stew

Who carries out the Garda Vetting?. I know it's in Thurles by the Garda Vetting Unit, but is it done by the Public Appointment Service or DEPR etc, or is it done by lets say what ever Dept snaps you off the list. Previous posts here on Garda Vetting seem a little too far fetched for my liking.

Great so the place you are offered is a definite regardless of how long it takes from the time you are offered the position and the actual day you start?

yep :cool::)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

lamb stew wrote: »
    Who carries out the Garda Vetting?. I know it's in Thurles by the Garda Vetting Unit, but is it done by the Public Appointment Service or DEPR etc, or is it done by lets say what ever Dept snaps you off the list. Previous posts here on Garda Vetting seem a little too far fetched for my liking.

It's the Dept of Justice in Tipp Town as far as I know

• Advertisement

south82 wrote: »

As with all things here dont take this as the way it happens but there is gaps between interview complete and jobs for a reason.

I doubt anybody off the 2018 panel will start until early 2019. Maybe there will be offers before then I dont know. But the way HR and payroll works, signing off on contracts, vetting, reference check. new tax year, there will be request for staff but i doubt they will start until january.

was it similar in 2016/2014? I dont think departments get staff until the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

As with all things here dont take this as the way it happens but there is gaps between interview complete and jobs for a reason.

I doubt anybody off the 2018 panel will start until early 2019. Maybe there will be offers before then I dont know. But the way HR and payroll works, signing off on contracts, vetting, reference check. new tax year, there will be request for staff but i doubt they will start until january.

was it similar in 2016/2014? I dont think departments get staff until the next year.

Early 2019 is a push depending on the department, I have a friend who passed her interview in mid 2017, was offered a position with the Garda in early 2018 and is still waiting on her vetting to be completed and she was from the 2016 campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sarah2018

Can anyone clarify if oom changes after interview.. in any other campaign I've done my oom didnt change after stage 2. Your oom was the same and you just either passed or failed the interview and it didnt have an effect on your oom. I see some people here saying they went from top 5 to top 10 and so on after interview. can anyone clarify this? thanks

Sarah2018 wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify if oom changes after interview.. in any other campaign I've done my oom didnt change after stage 2. Your oom was the same and you just either passed or failed the interview and it didnt have an effect on your oom. I see some people here saying they went from top 5 to top 10 and so on after interview. can anyone clarify this? thanks

These interviews for 2018 were competitive. They are not pass/fail anymore and your scores are compared to the other candidates in your area/batch. Your order of oom after interview can go up or down or it can remain the same depending on your interview score.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ismisebridget

Anybody know where in Waterford we might be placed??

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ernesto Guevara

Use this map and you'll see where potential postings are for your given county.
    https://dper.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=83eb12efc9c7478a982d39a89f759663

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

The bigs in Waterford would be DSP, Revenue and the OPW Land Registry.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Annie K64

The Land Registry is the Property Registration Authority, not OPW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Annie K64 wrote: »

The Land Registry is the Property Registration Authority, not OPW

Not sure why i thought it was the OPW haha but yeah the Property Registration Authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 160103

anybody knows perhaps, are they finished with interviews for the first batch of candidates?

160103 wrote: »
    anybody knows perhaps, are they finished with interviews for the first batch of candidates?

No, I am in the first batch and have yet to be called.

• Advertisement

I was told that candidates would be called to stage 2 only if a position is available in their chosen county! I have yet to be called for stage 2! I guess I am in batch 2? How do you know what batch you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nynaeve

160103 wrote: »
    I was told that candidates would be called to stage 2 only if a position is available in their chosen county! I have yet to be called for stage 2! I guess I am in batch 2? How do you know what batch you are?

The first batch interviews are all finished, and we got our results. If you haven't been called to interview yet then I guess you're the second batch.

That's my understanding. If you read a few pages back you will see we all got our final OOMs (which change after interview)

SB1982 wrote: »
    Your oom from stage 1 dictates what batch you are in. If your oom is near the top you’re in batch 1. If it’s lower down you will be in one of the subsequent batches. I believe there are more interviews next week. I think it should say on your results what batch you’re in.

This is the message I got from PAS following stage 1 completion:
    Should vacancies arise and your place on the order of merit be reached, we will contact you in relation to proceeding to Stage 2 of the selection process.

My oom for stage 1 was just over 100 but my message from PAS does not tell me what batch that is for!

This is the message I got from PAS following stage 1 completion:
    Should vacancies arise and your place on the order of merit be reached, we will contact you in relation to proceeding to Stage 2 of the selection process.

My oom for stage 1 was just over 100 but my message from PAS does not tell me what batch that is for!

You should email PAS. They're very helpful. That's the only way to get accurate information. Everything here is hearsay for the most part. No one knows how long it will get take to get called for each stage or to be placed. Only they know the demand per county. If you are around 100 oom you're in a good spot so you should just sit tight and you'll get an email when it's your time. The wait is hard I know. :) but you're right, I checked my messages from the various stages and there was no batch number until the message confirming I had passed interview. We just knew we were the first crop to be brought to stage 2 and interview stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Aisinikins

You don't get notification of what batch you are in until after interview. It was noted in the message I received with results of interview and it was first time I was made aware of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Goldenkt

In regards to mobility, I know it’s 50% mobility 50% open but are they taking 1 mobility then 1 open then another mobility etc? Or are they taking a certain amount of mobility to fill positions and then people from the open competition?

I am in the Top 25 for Kerry (After Supervised Aptitude Test) . I rang weeks ago when I read here that People were being called for interview, just incase I was left out because of clerical error etc. They told me that only 12 or 13 (one or the other) were being called, to interview stage in Kerry and they couldn't say when the rest of those who passed the Aptitude would be called as it would depend on Vacancies arising . Im kinda ****ting it now, especially when OOM changes after interview pending I pass it. I was hoping that aslong as I passed the interview i couldn't go over 30 OOM as I believe that 30 people in Kerry were called for aptitude. Now I'm afraid that the a second lot could be brought for Supervised aptitude soon and then interviewed with me and then drop AWAY down the OOM.

Hey anyone who’s been interviewed and Received results

How long from interview to results

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭336699

Noseyaf wrote: »
    Hey anyone who’s been interviewed and Received results

How long from interview to results

Everybody got their results on the same day, Thursday November 1st. The last day of interviews was Friday October 19th, so just shy of 2 weeks.

Obviously, people who were interviewed the first day of interviews were waiting longer than people interviewed on the last day.

do people who passed interview expect job offers before the end of the year?

i was told it would be 2019 but not offically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

An offer maybe but at this stage I'd say we haven't a hope of starting until new year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

An offer maybe but at this stage I'd say we haven't a hope of starting until new year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

do people who passed interview expect job offers before the end of the year?

i was told it would be 2019 but not offically

You might get told where you're going to be working, but doubtful you'll be starting before mid-january. Start of february at the earliest I'd reckon.

If you have some Christmas work lined up for yourself, I'd go for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Huntline

Rikand wrote: »
    You might get told where you're going to be working, but doubtful you'll be starting before mid-january. Start of february at the earliest I'd reckon.

If you have some Christmas work lined up for yourself, I'd go for it ;)

Where did you get that info?

Huntline wrote: »
    Where did you get that info?

I based it on info from the 2016 campaign and people who were placed top 10-ish in their respective counties picking up jobs in February and beyond.

Like a lot of things in civil service, they dont move quickly. By the time you have had your medical, your references checked, it'll probably be some time before you're actually ready to start the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭mur223

Hi guys, I just had my interview today, it went really well i think :) i am expecting to hear back in 2-3 weeks. Does any one have any idea about how they conduct reference checks? (written/phone) And how many reference they need?

In the CO 2018 Information booklet it suggests it is a written reference from current employer but I presume this might be a bit out dated as it also stated I needed to bring a reference to the Interview and PAS never requested me to bring that today.

Any help much appreciated,

I based it on info from the 2016 campaign and people who were placed top 10-ish in their respective counties picking up jobs in February and beyond.

Like a lot of things in civil service, they dont move quickly. By the time you have had your medical, your references checked, it'll probably be some time before you're actually ready to start the job

Do we have to attend a Medical Exam? I thought all that was left for people who passed their interview was Garda vetting and reference checks.

336699 wrote: »
    Do we have to attend a Medical Exam? I thought all that was left for people who passed their interview was Garda vetting and reference checks.

Oh well hopefully. I thought I read somewhere about needing a medical. But again, I'm in the same boat as everyone else and just getting my information from reading boards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Oh well hopefully. I thought I read somewhere about needing a medical. But again, I'm in the same boat as everyone else and just getting my information from reading boards :)

Just just sign a self declaration about medical status.

• Advertisement

I haven’t heard anything about a medical but who knows what surprises Pas has in store for us :)

Advertisement