Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clerical Officer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

mariemclt wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Didn't expect a call this early myself. Just to keep you updated; my county was Tipperary. I was in the top 15.

I'm top 15 also so will be watching phone like a hawk next few days!!
    Congrats to you and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sallydolly40

Thanks guys.

Didn't expect a call this early myself. Just to keep you updated; my county was Tipperary. I was in the top 15.

Is your start date before the new year?

I thought they look for you to complete vetting and look for reference before they offer job. did you do this or did they just ring you out of the blue

• Registered Users Posts: 22 clare3

Paddy93 wrote: »
    What's your OOM?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grinchy88

Thanks guys.

Do you mind if i ask about the offer - do they expect an answer straightaway or give you some time to make up your mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mark37

Yes. Stage 2 and further stage (interview) if successful are only held in the public jobs office on Abbey Street in Dublin.
    Was stage two a written exam and interview? Must not be many jobs going in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

Mark37 wrote: »
    Was stage two a written exam and interview? Must not be many jobs going in Donegal

Stage two is a supervised exam done online in Dublin

I rang PAS this morning and was told I'm in clearance. No one has contacted me though yet.
    I'm 12th in Tipp.

I spoke to PAS. No movement in Limerick or Clare yet. He said they expect to start making calls in the next week or two :)

Samsgirl wrote: »
    I rang PAS this morning and was told I'm in clearance. No one has contacted me though yet.
    I'm 12th in Tipp.

What do you mean by "clearance" has your Garda vetting gone through? Did you get a link for Garda vetting?
    I'm confused. Do they send you the link for Garda vetting before you receive a call about placement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lamb stew

SB1982 wrote: »
    What do you mean by "clearance" has your Garda vetting gone through? Did you get a link for Garda vetting?
    I'm confused. Do they send you the link for Garda vetting before you receive a call about placement?

I am called to interview in 2 weeks time and have to bring documents and fill out form re Garda clearance. I take it then i am sent a link. That's how it worked when I was TCO 2 years ago

The only Garda form I filled in was the one we were sent before interview. I have heard nothing at all till I contacted them this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grinchy88

Any Galway heads, I just got a reply from PAS saying :

"We haven’t actually had any requests logged for Galway in the 2018 campaign as yet.
    If you would like to make contact in the New Year for an update"

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ali1993

Does anyone have an update for Kildare?

I got an email to say that I have been allocated a position. Clearance will be in touch with me in the next week or two with all the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭foreverme

congrats. It's great to see people getting jobs. Great news.

• Advertisement

I got an email to say that I have been allocated a position. Clearance will be in touch with me in the next week or two with all the details.

What area are you waiting on?

Samsgirl wrote: »
    What area are you waiting on?

My allocation will be in Limerick 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

What this recruitment process has now become is the very definition of a race to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Anniesland

What this recruitment process has now become is the very definition of a race to the bottom.

How and why do you conclude that this competition is a race to the bottom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sallydolly40

My allocation will be in Limerick ��

congrats sb. what number were you in Limerick?

• Advertisement

Anniesland wrote: »
    How and why do you conclude that this competition is a race to the bottom ?

Have you seen the starting salary? Also comparing the hiring process to the pre-recession era.In the age of the precariat, its symptomatic of a wider societal malais of job security becoming an incredible privilege inside of a basic requirement for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Huntline

Have you seen the starting salary? Also comparing the hiring process to the pre-recession era. Its symptomatic of a wider societal malais of job security becoming an incredible privilege in the age of the precariat.

F*ck, he's actually right. Mind blown

Huntline wrote: »
    F*ck, he's actually right. Mind blown

:)‚Take the red pill my friend. Im speaking from my own experience of working as a TCO for eighth months and going through the mill of countless aptitude tests in Chapter House. I am just about done with the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Have you seen the starting salary? Also comparing the hiring process to the pre-recession era.In the age of the precariat, its symptomatic of a wider societal malais of job security becoming an incredible privilege inside of a basic requirement for a job.

Plus the way you have to fight to get your incremental credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Carlisle2211

Any updates on Donegal panel interviews?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

:)‚Take the red pill my friend. Im speaking from my own experience of working as a TCO for eighth months and going through the mill of countless aptitude tests in Chapter House. I am just about done with the whole thing.

Bitter much?

laoisgem wrote: »
    Bitter much?
    Mid- Atlantic phraseology "much"? Like OMG, as long as you are happy jumping through hoops for crumbs. :)Heaven forbid somebody should get notions above their station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Mid- Atlantic phraseology "much"? Like OMG, as long as you are happy jumping through hoops for crumbs. :)Heaven forbid somebody should get notions above their station.

The only educational requirement for Clerical Officer is that you have a leaving certificate.

Starting salary of 24k is grand considering that.

Rikand wrote: »
    The only educational requirement for Clerical Officer is that you have a leaving certificate.

I must have been over educated so, First Class Honours at Bachelor and Masters degree level behind me, its crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I must have been over educated so, First Class Honours at Bachelor and Masters degree level behind me, its crazy.

Well, like you said, you are just about done with the whole thing. if its beneath you, then go look for work elsewhere :) First class honours bachelors and a masters will surely get a top salary in the private sector. You know, something more suitable of your standing.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭podsull1

Sometimes in life it quality in life than money , the pay will be grand, 9am to 5pm flexi , hons degree too I have wouldn’t bother me the slightest work is work and has great job security and possible promotions :)

Well, like you said, you are just about done with the whole thing. if its beneath you, then go look for work elsewhere :) First class honours bachelors and a masters will surely get a top salary in the private sector. You know, something more suitable of your standing.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Haha trust me I dont come across this conceited in person, just mistakenly thought any type of decent credentials would walk me into one of these jobs like the good ol days. You are dead right, I need to focus my efforts elsewhere.

If the poster has been through a number of these campaigns it’s understandable that one might become weary of it all. It’s can be a very long road for some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

fin12 wrote: »
    If the poster has been through a number of these campaigns it’s understandable that one might become weary of it all. It’s can be a very long road for some people.

If he's been through these campaigns he's either not been good enough to get one of the permanent jobs or just been very unlucky in life.... probably the latter :)

I think you just won the internet lol 😀

I only had to apply once for permanency and made top 10 in both my locations so no jumping through hoops here 😉 if it’s beneath u why keep applying?

I didn’t even sit my leaving cert...

I only had to apply once for permanency and made top 10 in both my locations so no jumping through hoops here 😉 if it’s beneath u why keep applying?

No aptitude tests in chapter house then and waiting1-2 years from application to start date? If thats not jumping through hoops then I dont know what is.Jaysus fair play for disrupting the time/space continuum, can I have your Delorean when you are finished? Im applying for multiple positions in order to back a few horses so to speak in the vain hope that one will actually come in this century considering PAS sluggishness. I think youll fnd it was another poster that said it was "beneath me"

If he's been through these campaigns he's either not been good enough to get one of the permanent jobs or just been very unlucky in life.... probably the latter :)

Im clearing all the required hurdles, started process over a year ago and on on a few interview panels waiting to be called.Hate to piss on peoples sense of achievement but passing the spot the difference exams on abbey st are not an achievement.

• Advertisement

Im clearing all the required hurdles, started process over a year ago and on on a few interview panels waiting to be called.Hate to piss on peoples sense of achievement but passing the spot the difference exams on abbey st are not an achievement, scarlet for ye. :)

If you have such an issue with the process etc. why are you here??? You’re the only person I’ve seen on this thread be negative and insulting towards people. Everyone here is in the same boat and supports and helps other candidates in any way they can. You’re no better than any of the rest of us yet you seem to have a sense of entitlement.

If you have such an issue with the process etc. why are you here??? You’re the only person I’ve seen on this thread be negative and insulting towards people. Everyone here is in the same boat and supports and helps other candidates in any way they can. You’re no better than any of the rest of us yet you seem to have a sense of entitlement.
    he/she would make a grand civil servant:D

he/she would make a grand civil servant:D

Ha you should see some of my superiors when I TCO'd, now thats entitlement. I suppose an unfortunate side effect of education and bettering oneself is a dirty word called aspiration. To answer peoples questions about why im bothering, I had absolutely no idea how the whole system worked until I started over a year ago and have drawn my own conclusion now that the juice most certainly aint worth the squeeze. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that. I dont wish anyone ill will here,best of luck with all yere civil service careers,just not for me ive concluded.

Ha you should see some of my superiors when I TCO'd, now thats entitlement. I suppose an unfortunate side effect of education and bettering oneself is a dirty word called aspiration. To answer peoples questions about why im bothering, I had absolutely no idea how the whole system worked until I started over a year ago and have drawn my own conclusion now that the juice most certainly aint worth the squeeze. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that. I dont wish anyone ill will here,best of luck with all yere civil service careers,just not for me ive concluded.

You’re not the only one here who is well educated and “bettering oneself”...far from it.

You’re not the only one here who is “well educated” and “bettering oneself”...far from it.

Never stated otherwise, was speaking for myself which is all anyone should do. I just found starting a civil service career in its current guise (particularly after completion of higher education and having worked with senior civil servants with next to none.) is a kick in the teeth.

I am one of your superiors :)

I started off a tco. got co.got eo and now waiting on a co position as we have moved to the far side of the country and its faster than waiting on mobility.

• Advertisement

I am one of your superiors :)

I started off a tco. got co.got eo and now waiting on a co position as we have moved to the far side of the country and its faster than waiting on mobility.

Not anymore, I finished as a TCO in the Summer. Unless you were an EO or upwards in my office then I dont think you were my superior

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Anniesland

For someone that claims to be so well educated you come across here as a complete ass. That IT that awarded you a masters should be looking for it back :). Condescending prat!

Anniesland wrote: »
    For someone that claims to be so well educated you come across here as a complete ass. That IT that awarded you a masters should be looking for it back :). Condescending prat!

I.T? If you say so, even if it were what would the problem with it be? Now thats snobbery! :) whats yours in? God the civil service will love you, proper dyed in the wool by the sounds of it if you label anyone who criticises it as "condescending."

I only had to apply once for permanency and made top 10 in both my locations so no jumping through hoops here �� if it’s beneath u why keep applying?

And that’s exactly why you don’t get it. It doesn’t work out like that for a lot of people. You might not have had to jump threw hoops but plenty others do.

You clearly can’t understand what the poster is trying to say, he obviously wants to secure one of these jobs, they are just frustrated at the whole process. I’m pretty sure if he felt the job was beneath him in the first place he wouldn’t go through the process plus he has already worked as a TCO.

Haha if this was intended as a put down, which I am sure it was, then the phrase you are looking for is the "former."

• Advertisement
Advertisement