Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clerical Officer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Hi just a quick question please. I know this has been discussed before but I can't find it now. How long did the supervised aptitude test in Dublin take to complete and is it timed? Thank you ��

From previous experience of doing it, I think the most i was in there was an hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭doc22

fin12 wrote: »
    This competition really is moving a lot faster than the 2016 one: example Cork:

I was in the 600s in the last completion didn’t get called to stage 2 till June 2018.

This year people in the 400s have been called to sit stage 2 next month.

Some difference.

last time it was sorted by questionnaire, verbal and numeric now it's just the questionnaire hence more people failing tests at PAS and hence going up the panel quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 5 south82

Some might not have bothered travelling to Dublin but also the numerical section was not as straightforward. There is a practice test on the PAS website. It would be no harm to find other practice tests online or check your local library. The main problem I found was time but do not rush. Fifteen answered correctly is a lot better than twenty rushed answers. I jumped from the eighties into the top fifteen after stage 2.

Happy to say I got a call late this week for the Dept of Foreign Affairs which I presume is the Cork Passport Office. Going through vetting process now so I should be starting in the New Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

south82 wrote: »
    Some might not have bothered travelling to Dublin but also the numerical section was not as straightforward. There is a practice test on the PAS website. It would be no harm to find other practice tests online or check your local library. The main problem I found was time but do not rush. Fifteen answered correctly is a lot better than twenty rushed answers. I jumped from the eighties into the top fifteen after stage 2.

Happy to say I got a call late this week for the Dept of Foreign Affairs which I presume is the Cork Passport Office. Going through vetting process now so I should be starting in the New Year.

Congratulations, ya that will be the passport office, I worked there as a TCO, nice place to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lamb stew

claregal1 wrote: »
    Is it the same format as the practice ones that they sent us ? Just did the verbal there and got 22 right , found that easy enough . It's the numerical that gets me every time though so not really confident with that one ...Thanks for that info though!

Yes Same format I think. Infairness layout, and screen icons are easy to see. I wouldnt worry about the format, but if you mean are they multiple choice, then yes they are, so yes same format in that regard. I purchased the careerservices.ie online tests. They were based on previous tests, and i said coming out they were waste of money, as PAS totally changed them and made it away harder. However in hindsight the online tests probably stood to me when it came to the easy and ok ones. I'll say that because it prepared me for any surprise elements of numerical questions. Eg a question might be if a group if 4 went on holidays in Sept or June. A line in the Question might say there is a 10% discount for for groups or 4 or over in September. When you're under pressure or even in general you might forget that part when answering a question. Just read the question carefully and always take notice of discounts etc. Don't let me put you off, as I'm not really good at aptitude. Personality Questionairre was my strongest. Good Luck 🀞

• Advertisement

Just in relation to the supervised tests a few of my friends failed on the Verbal Reasoning and passed the Numerical.Verbal is a lot more tricky than the practise ones.Best of luck to all doing the supervised tests my advice don't panic.

Did they fail outright then. I think you have to pass all 3 sections, if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CandyCane_81

I wonder is there large numbers failing the tests, since they are getting through the numbers pretty fast.

As far as I know we just have to pass the numerical, it is isn’t counted for our ranking.

To be honest the first I've heard of anyone failing was Roseycheeks friends. Didn't think anyone on here said they failed. Beyond me how I passed.

I wonder is there large numbers failing the tests, since they are getting through the numbers pretty fast.

As far as I know we just have to pass the numerical, it is isn’t counted for our ranking.

I'd find that very hard to believe. If that's the case we'd only spend our time doing the numerical.

lamb stew wrote: »
    I'd find that very hard to believe. If that's the case we'd only spend our time doing the numerical.

You have to pass all stages of the tests.

In previous years and I’m not sure if has changed the marks from the numerical were excluded.

Therefore once you passed the numerical, it had no other bearing on your ranking in the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

You have to pass all stages of the tests.

In previous years and I’m not sure if has changed the marks from the numerical were excluded.

Therefore once you passed the numerical, it had no other bearing on your ranking in the competition.

This is the case for AO also:

"While you were required to reach the qualifying standard in each test, your place on the order of merit was determined by your scores in the Assessment Questionnaire and Verbal Test only."

"While you were required to reach the qualifying standard in each test, your place on the order of merit was determined by your scores in the Assessment Questionnaire and Verbal Test only."

So what was the Qualifying standard in each.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 roseycheeks

Did they fail outright then. I think you have to pass all 3 sections, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes I'm afraid they did they were very disappointed because they did far better in the numerical than they thought and they put too much emphasis on that,thinking the Verbal would be easier.

So what was the Qualifying standard in each.

In the AO it was:

Verbal Analysis
    Qualifying Score: 39

Numerical Analysis
    Qualifying Score: 36

Assessment Questionaire
    Qualifying Score: 40

Its will be different in the CO tho as the timings are different and there is a checking test instead of the assessment questionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭yessiryes

botharbui wrote: »
    Anyone on the all irish panel? or heard anything about results of supervised tests?

Me...interview this week, not sure what to expect.

Sorry only reference I could find about it in teh whole thread

Im in for interview next week too, is it just me or does anyone else find the wording of the competencies complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭yessiryes

Im in for interview next week too, is it just me or does anyone else find the wording of the competencies complex.

For the Irish panel? Seems the interview determines oom too rather than how it works in the English stream

yessiryes wrote: »
    For the Irish panel? Seems the interview determines oom too rather than how it works in the English stream

Sorry I'm on about the competencies they sent in the familiarisation material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

yessiryes wrote: »

Interview determine oom for everyone on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Paddy93

Will you be giving a OOM regardless how you do in the interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 bunty7

Congratulations to everyone with job offers so far and best of luck to those still in the process.

Does anyone know where to access the panel rules for these jobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Paddy93 wrote: »
    Will you be giving a OOM regardless how you do in the interview?

Only if you pass the interview. Otherwise it's end of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dublingirlx

Are you allowed a calculator into stage 2 for the numerical?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

Are you allowed a calculator into stage 2 for the numerical?

Yes they provide you with a calculator and a sheet of paper and pen for calculations 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Just got an offer there for Tipp. Revenue in Nenagh.

Congrats what oom were you for Tip

Samsgirl wrote: »

Congrats!!! I called PAS the other day after I received an email from Recruitment Dept. and they said I'm in Clearance for Limerick and they have assigned a role to me but clearance dept. haven't contacted me yet to tell me what it is.

If you don't mind me asking are they sending you a link for vetting now, and have they asked for your references yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Laraghcon21

That’s great people are being my assigned, well done. Any movement on Galway or Mayo?

SB1982 wrote: »
    Congrats!!! I called PAS the other day after I received an email from Recruitment Dept. and they said I'm in Clearance for Limerick and they have assigned a role to me but clearance dept. haven't contacted me yet to tell me what it is.

If you don't mind me asking are they sending you a link for vetting now, and have they asked for your references yet?

Cheers, thank you

They ask for reference today and will be sending out the vetting email soon.

• Advertisement

Where about are you with oom? I am waiting for a call for Limerick....

I am too 15

Thanks a million. I don't have too long a wait so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cunla

Got placed 4 for Limerick after interview (Second Choice)

Still waiting on final oom for Kerry - was placed mid- 40's after stage 1

Probably end up taking Limerick

That's a v good OOM for Limerick. Have you been offered a post?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jo_5cav

I rang PAS last friday with regards to Mayo panel and was told there was no applications received for clearance for either Mayo/Galway, they said it would be more than likely after Xmas now.

I got a second phone call with an offer to defer my placement as it's 80kms from home. So I took that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 WillieHyena

I got a second phone call with an offer to defer my placement as it's 80kms from home. So I took that option.

As in hold off to see if your other region comes up ??

p.s Is it true that 50 % of vacancies are allocated to staff transferring in from other counties ??

• Advertisement

p.s Is it true that 50 % of vacancies are allocated to staff transferring in from other counties ??

Not sure, but a lot of current clerical officers apply for the open competition, as it can be quicker than waiting for a transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Annie K64

Not sure, but a lot of current clerical officers apply for the open competition, as it can be quicker than waiting for a transfer.

It's true, it's a 50-50 split between current clerical officers wanting a transfer and the open panel

Yes, there is a new mobility scheme in place now which means the 50% of the positions are filled from existing civil servants and 50% new candidates.

Didn't think that permanent staff could apply again ...interesting though all the same :confused:

does that mean you are no longer eligible for Tipp panel or will they just call you in a few days with something closer to home?

• Advertisement

Yes, there is a new mobility scheme in place now which means the 50% of the positions are filled from existing civil servants and 50% new candidates.

In that case i'd be inclined to take the first offer I got....

It's just a shame that you can't find out what the actual amount of vacancies for each county is ??......especially with the new 50:50 split :(:(

In that case i'd be inclined to take the first offer I got....

It's just a shame that you can't find out what the actual amount of vacancies for each county is ??......especially with the new 50:50 split :(:(

This tells you all about it...
    https://hr.per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/Clerical-Officer-Terms-and-Conditions.pdf

Thanks appreciate that

does that mean you are no longer eligible for Tipp panel or will they just call you in a few days with something closer to home?

The guy said that cos I'm more than 45kms away I could defer till something closer came up.

The guy said that cos I'm more than 45kms away I could defer till something closer came up.

Aw that’s grand...you could just be waiting a couple of days 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stinkbomb

Does anyone have a rough idea of the take home pay for the CO role?

Aw that’s grand...you could just be waiting a couple of days 😊

Gosh I hope so. I have visions of a long wait.

stinkbomb wrote: »
    Does anyone have a rough idea of the take home pay for the CO role?

After tax approx 690 a fortnight starting off

Can i ask where was initial placement? As in where in Tipp?

After tax approx 690 a fortnight starting off

It’s 23338 per annum which would be €1705 net per month which would be €420 per week after tax or slightly less as most months have more than 28 days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement