Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clerical Officer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Clairebear12

Kerry gold wrote: »
    For stage 2 in Kerry,the first 43 were selected! I'm assuming there will be another 12 or 13 added to create batch 1.3.

Hi do you mean 43 were selected for stage 2 as in 2.1 or stage 2 as in 1.2?? Also by selected do you mean given a job or selected for the panel? Hope that all makes sense! Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Alexandragr

Does that mean that your competition results where evaluated by the department or organisation that Pas forwarded to and the "disclosure" is their approval or rejection of your performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

Does that mean that your competition results where evaluated by the department or organisation that Pas forwarded to and the "disclosure" is their approval or rejection of your performance?

Just means that vetting was completed and the report sent to PAS. My vetting was clear...I got a call a short time later from HR in Revenue advising me of start date and contract and bank details.

thought for a minute that departments are re evaluating what pas is sending them lol. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Cork888

SB1982 wrote: »
    Just means that vetting was completed and the report sent to PAS. My vetting was clear...I got a call a short time later from HR in Revenue advising me of start date and contract and bank details.

How many references did you have to give? Im with my current employer 8 years wonder would they look for references from before that?

Cork888 wrote: »
    How many references did you have to give? Im with my current employer 8 years wonder would they look for references from before that?

They only look for references for last 12 months so I only had to give one and they called her about an hour after because I had told her they would call. They won’t call your referee until you have given them the green light to do so i.e. until your employer (referee) knows you’re leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kerry gold

Hi do you mean 43 were selected for stage 2 as in 2.1 or stage 2 as in 1.2?? Also by selected do you mean given a job or selected for the panel? Hope that all makes sense! Thanks so much

The 43 did the stage 2 tests in Dublin!Those who were successful will form batch 1,1,1.2 and 1.3 after successfully completing stage 3 the interview!

The 43 did the stage 2 tests in Dublin!Those who were successful will form batch 1,1,1.2 and 1.3 after successfully completing stage 3 the interview!

Thank you. Do you know if they have done the interviews for the 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 yet? Still waiting for interview for stage 2. Might be a while yet I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kerry gold

Thank you. Do you know if they have done the interviews for the 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 yet? Still waiting for interview for stage 2. Might be a while yet I'd say

Batch 1.1 and 1.2 are completed,From what I understand there are about 26 in the combined batch! What is your approximate oom in batch 2?

• Advertisement

Batch 1.1 and 1.2 are completed,From what I understand there are about 26 in the combined batch! What is your approximate oom in batch 2?

I'm late teens in batch 2 but no interview yet so hard to know where it will go! It's a long process!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 clare3

How long does Garda Clearence take roughly?

clare3 wrote: »

I filled mine out on Tuesday morning first thing and it had cleared on Thursday morning.

HR Called me within a couple of hours of it clearing

I filled mine out on Tuesday morning first thing and it had cleared on Thursday morning.

HR Called me within a couple of hours of it clearing
    Thanks. Still waiting. The stress and waiting is far too much. Did they call your references then after clearence

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ironcage

Any Galway updates?

Thanks. Still waiting. The stress and waiting is far too much. Did they call your references then after clearence

They called my reference before clearance but only because I told them they could. They will ask you to let them know when is convenient time to contact them.

Did you track your vetting? From mine I can see there were 9 steps to go through. If you look at the tracking it will give you an idea of the status

• Advertisement

They called my reference before clearance but only because I told them they could. They will ask you to let them know when is convenient time to contact them.

Did you track your vetting? From mine I can see there were 9 steps to go through. If you look at the tracking it will give you an idea of the status

I only got my Clearance yesterday morning and it's on step 6 and did first thing, so must take 2 days. On Wed I told them they can contact my references, as wanted to give my Manager a heads up. Just want to be able to give my official notice as need to give a month notice.

I only got my Clearance yesterday morning and it's on step 6 and did first thing, so must take 2 days. On Wed I told them they can contact my references, as wanted to give my Manager a heads up. Just want to be able to give my official notice as need to give a month notice.

Once they contacted me to tell me where I'd been assigned and start date I handed in my notice and gave my referees name and they called her a short time after (i have to give a months notice too but I'm hoping they let me work on for the 5 weeks. If you're on Step 6 then it won't be long at all. Mine went from 6-9 all at once I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Anniesland

ironcage wrote: »
    Any Galway updates?

Last time I checked a couple of weeks ago the had only taken on e from Galway panel and two more were being processed. Very slow moving unfortunately

Anniesland wrote: »
    Last time I checked a couple of weeks ago the had only taken on e from Galway panel and two more were being processed. Very slow moving unfortunately

Thanks that must be before I last checked
    Just inquired about Galway - Was told there are 14 ahead of me waiting for positions - My OoM is 18

Very slow indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grinchy88

Any Galway updates?

I emailed on Monday and was told that i am next in line for Galway. OOM 2 on the open competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Anniesland

Thanks that must be before I last checked

Very slow indeed

I think it was about 2 weeks ago or possibly 3 since I checked. My OOM is 13 and waiting patiently. Feels like it could be months away yet to get called.

Grinchy88 wrote: »
    I emailed on Monday and was told that i am next in line for Galway. OOM 2 on the open competition.

Wow they must have given me incorrect information. Looks like 18 will be a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grinchy88

Wow they must have given me incorrect information. Looks like 18 will be a while yet

You have to factor in mobility - as far as i know its 50/50. So (and i could be wrong) three people would have been called so far - No 1 and 2 on the mobility list and then No 1 on the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

Grinchy88 wrote: »
    You have to factor in mobility - as far as i know its 50/50. So (and i could be wrong) three people would have been called so far - No 1 and 2 on the mobility list and then No 1 on the open.

I rang for Kerry, and for anyone wondering it has moved another bit, now that could be because of Limerick and Cork moving, as people could have had either Limerick or Cork down as an alternative choice. They said Kerry was slow enough moving. I asked about mobility, and I said if there are a certain amount ahead of me in the panel, is that it, or are there mobility requests on top of that. They said no that, the amount in front of me are the amount in front of me, and that's it, I have no other competition from transfers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Noseyaf

Got a message to say my vetting has been completed and a “disclosure” has been made to PAS. I presume this just means they’ve passed the results to PAS as I’ve never even had so much as a parking ticket lol

99% sure that means you good to go, asked a friend who's in the know as mine said the same and they said that was standard response for no concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dorbrogra

I rang for Kerry, and for anyone wondering it has moved another bit, now that could be because of Limerick and Cork moving, as people could have had either Limerick or Cork down as an alternative choice. They said Kerry was slow enough moving. I asked about mobility, and I said if there are a certain amount ahead of me in the panel, is that it, or are there mobility requests on top of that. They said no that, the amount in front of me are the amount in front of me, and that's it, I have no other competition from transfers etc.

Did they say how many have been assigned a position yet? cheers for the info

dorbrogra wrote: »
    Did they say how many have been assigned a position yet? cheers for the info

They said there was 3 left in 1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Woodie82

Started my position in a garda station 2weeks ago. The man that was training me is now gone to another job in revenue. I am left to figure out anything else I need to know. If I'm stuck I've to ring another station. Is this right? I'm a 1st time clerical officer as I have worked in the private sector for 17yrs. I was expectingI would have had the support of other clerical officers in the building.it was too much to take in 2weeks with alot of different tasks. it's daunting enough starting a new job and then to be left on your own. Is there anything I can do about this or is there anyone in my position too?

Woodie82 wrote: »
    Started my position in a garda station 2weeks ago. The man that was training me is now gone to another job in revenue. I am left to figure out anything else I need to know. If I'm stuck I've to ring another station. Is this right? I'm a 1st time clerical officer as I have worked in the private sector for 17yrs. I was expectingI would have had the support of other clerical officers in the building.it was too much to take in 2weeks with alot of different tasks. it's daunting enough starting a new job and then to be left on your own. Is there anything I can do about this or is there anyone in my position too?

Yes you are unfortunate. Usually there would be loads of support for new clerical officers. I suppose it depends what department you are in. Garda Stations wouldn't have as many Admin Clerical Staff than lets say Justice and Revenue etc. Have you an EO or your HEO, nearby that you could voice your concerns. Hopefully others will be patient and understanding with you, while you get your feet. You were thrown in to the deep end, and expected to sink or swim, which would be more reflective of the private sector.

How would I go about looking to be moved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

You would have to wait two years before you could put in a transfer application, even then depending on where you are it could be a long wait after that, maybe speak to the HR section or as mentioned your EO/HEO and see if they can offer assistance, they need to be made aware that you are struggling and they should be helpful and understanding given your situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

You have to apply for mobility unfortunately I think you have to complete the 1 year probation in your current role before your eligible.

They are been understanding but they are not solving the problem they are still leaving me down there still not knowing what to do. When I took the position I didn't think I would be so isolated. In a room on my own. As my Sgt told me he would have never given this position to someone who is just a 1st time CO and with no experience working in an office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Any news on tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Carlisle2211

Hi there, sorry to ask this question. I was lucky enough to get Oom late 20’as for Donegal. I did my supervised tests in August m. Just spoke to an ex colleague today who did hers in December and she’s now number 8 Oom...can’t understand what this means???

Hi there, sorry to ask this question. I was lucky enough to get Oom late 20’as for Donegal. I did my supervised tests in August m. Just spoke to an ex colleague today who did hers in December and she’s now number 8 Oom...can’t understand what this means???

She’s probably ina different batch to you? If you did your supervised exams in August you must be batch 1.1. Perhaps she is Batch 1.2. If you’re 20’s 1.1 and she is 8 in 1.2 that means you would be placed before her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Woodie82 wrote:
    They are been understanding but they are not solving the problem they are still leaving me down there still not knowing what to do. When I took the position I didn't think I would be so isolated. In a room on my own. As my Sgt told me he would have never given this position to someone who is just a 1st time CO and with no experience working in an office.

This is one of the flaws of this system as the interviewers aren't aware of where an individual are to be placed. That been said how did you get beyond interview stage without any experience working in an office ? I don't mean any negativity by that and certainly feel for you. It's not a nice situation to be in and I don't envy you. Best I can say is do your best and pick the brains of those around you be the Guards or whatever.

In fairness Clerical Officers often over the years came straight in after their leaving. I have done two stints of Temporary contracts with the Civil Service totalling two years, and I have learned sweet f_ck all that I could bring to a private sector office job with me. If was in Woodies position I'd be in the same boat. Hoping I don't end up somewhere like him/her, where I'd be expected to sail the ship alone. I know woody is probably anxious that this will effect his one year probation.

At the moment I feel like quitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Carlisle2211

She’s probably ina different batch to you? If you did your supervised exams in August you must be batch 1.1. Perhaps she is Batch 1.2. If you’re 20’s 1.1 and she is 8 in 1.2 that means you would be placed before her.

Thanks for that, I’m new to this grading system and appreciate all advice.

Thanks for that, I’m new to this grading system and appreciate all advice.

If you check your email with your interview result you’ll see”Our Ref” and a batch number. I’d say you’re 1.1 as I’m 1.1 and I did the supervised exams in August too and then interview in October 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pippa800

Hi woodie82
    I found it best to take notes every time you meet a new form or action. Keep a notebook with marked tabs so it is easy to check back on what is required. When I worked as a temp in the Dept. of Agriculture they had a network shared area. On this was valuable info about the various steps and procedures to take in different situations. It covered most of the forms we had contact with and the actions to be taken.
    There might be a training file somewhere on the computer that will help you. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

At the moment I feel like quitting.

Woodie, Its really unfortunate however you don't really have too many options. I would suggest you keep your head up, and try to stick it out for the year & apply straight away for mobility once your eligible.

As mention above, do try to contact an EO, see if they can arrange additional training for you or perhaps if they have someone at a nearby station you could call down for a day or two to get additional training. There should be some kind of instructions on the duties/task and how to do them so try to find that and read up. Your EO is unlikely to know much if anything about you at this stage so there maybe an opportunity for you to move to another station with other CO's if your still not comfortable.

I think you maybe in a bit of a panic at the moment, I don't think anyone would expect you to do the job perfect after two weeks, it takes time to learn the role and the duties involved.

It might not be comfortable ringing another CO asking for information or advice over the phone when you don't know people but the chances are they have been in the same situation as you so you should do it sooner rather than later (if only to say 'hi, i'm new').

If in a few weeks you still feel the job isn't for you, decide then.

Hello Woddie82 , Its really sad that you feel this way . There is no doubt that you need help and support and its terrible that noone from the building can help you. If i were you i would grab the phone and call the clerical officer of a guarda station near me and ask for guidance. I think that would be the quickest way for dealing with the everyday issues that land on your desk and everything will be fine very soon. Or even visit a Garda station and after you identify yourself as a new civilian staff of Garda have a chat with their clerical officer(s). I am sure that somebody will have 5 minutes to spare for helping a co worker. If a more formal training wont appear at least you have opened a communication line for emergencies. Very good luck, you ll be grant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sallydolly40

Hi SB i missed that call from HR on friday and have not rang back yet. Number they rang on doesnt seem to be able to take a call.

Just wondering if you have to do anything else. I already know start date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Has anyone got an update on Cork? Has Batch 2 started? Thanks

Hi SB i missed that call from HR on friday and have not rang back yet. Number they rang on doesnt seem to be able to take a call.

Just wondering if you have to do anything else. I already know start date.

Hi, yeah he told me to call him back on that number with bank details but the number didn’t work but I have a email address for him and you can just pop him an email. I’ll PM you 😊 he sent me contracts and told me the time is 10.00am

• Registered Users Posts: 17 corcraa

Update on Cork. I rang PAS today and there is still 1 person to be placed from Batch 1.3 (22 in total).

I was in contact with PAS last monday and im in batch 2.1 and I was told I am next to be offered a job in Cork so not sure who's getting the correct info but will update if I hear from them

I was in contact with PAS last monday and im in batch 2.1 and I was told I am next to be offered a job in Cork so not sure who's getting the correct info but will update if I hear from them

• Advertisement
Advertisement