Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clerical Officer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

Noseyaf wrote: »
    Did you get the contract by post or email

I Received it via Email.
    Along with pension form and information booklets.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

336699 wrote: »
    Do you have to work a week in hand before being paid?

No, that's the thing I love about the Public Sector. I think you mightnt get paid the first week but you get 2 weeks on the 2nd Friday. In my first long term TCO role we were paid every 2 weeks, but I didn't get paid for a month as it took ages to put me on the system, every pay day had a cut off point to put someone new on the system. I got 4 weeks pay at the end of week 4. In my 2nd TCO we were paid weekly, and I think I didn't get paid the first Friday, but got 2 weeks at the end of week 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 clare3

SB1982 wrote: »
    March forth and I was told it was a hard start date so no others would be offered.

Yes they told me that March 4th was definite but that if there were any changes they’d let us know.
    But you received your contract yes? I haven't see so probably first group to start. Just guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Goldenkt

You get paid weekly.. After tax your net weekly income is approx €390.
    Dependent on how fast your HEO is able to get you set up with payroll etc you may be on a back week but luckily in my case I started on a Monday and got paid a full week that thursday! No back week for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lamb stew

Anyone by any chnce have an update on the Kerry panel???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Booklad86

There seems to be a lot of confusion about salary. I'm not sure if it varies or not but in my contract it states that my rate of pay will be €451.74 (before tax per week, it looks like). Evened out, that means it's around 21k per annum (after tax) which seems a bit on the low side. Can anyone clarify this for me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭336699

Booklad86 wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about salary. I'm not sure if it varies or not but in my contract it states that my rate of pay will be €451.74 (before tax per week, it looks like). Evened out, that means it's around 21k per annum (after tax) which seems a bit on the low side. Can anyone clarify this for me please?

The annual salary is €23,572 which is €451.74 weekly before all deductions.

€451.74 X 52.18 = €23,571.79

All the Pay Scales since January 2019 are listed here -

http://www.forsa.ie/about-forsa/divisions/civil-service/civil-service-pay-scales/

Thanks! I just found that document too. Are the other rates of pay listed annual increments? And, for example, what's the difference between the Clerical Officer scale and the Clerical Officer Higher scale? How do you qualify for the Higher scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭336699

Booklad86 wrote: »
    Thanks! I just found that document too. Are the other rates of pay listed annual increments? And, for example, what's the difference between the Clerical Officer scale and the Clerical Officer Higher scale? How do you qualify for the Higher scale?

Yes the other amounts are the yearly increments.

There was another thread on here about the CO Higher Scale -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057954452

Hope that helps!

It does. Many thanks for this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 sallydolly40

Can anyone advise. Are these definitely permanent positions? On the contract it states you are hired "on a probationary contract for a period of one year" is this something to be concerned about?

You have to pass probation and then offered a permanent position. Its standard in all public service positions. Even if you move departments I think you are put on probation. Nothing to be worried about. I dont think many ever fail probation would would need to have excess sick days/ punch your manager :pac: etc to not pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

You have to pass probation and then offered a permanent position. Its standard in all public service positions. Even if you move departments I think you are put on probation. Nothing to be worried about. I dont think many ever fail probation would would need to have excess sick days/ punch your manager :pac: etc to not pass.
    Yup we have 12 months probation. They can extend it if they aren't happy though just FYI. I assume once we pass we get our perminant contracts

Thanks a mil. Was a bit spooked for a minute lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26 roseycheeks

Hi just wondering has everyone received a contract.I have received nothing even though I got a call about start date in Revenue Limerick beginning of March.

I have...I received it two weeks ago. I wouldn't panic if you haven't received it. Prob just waiting to send them out in a big batch.

Yup we have 12 months probation. They can extend it if they aren't happy though just FYI. I assume once we pass we get our perminant contracts

Thanks a mil. I knew we had a years probation just a colleague has been offered a position too and mentioned this and the wording in it was such that it made me panic lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Noseyaf

Hi just wondering has everyone received a contract.I have received nothing even though I got a call about start date in Revenue Limerick beginning of March.

I got a call from revenue today advising I’d receive my contract shortly and to print sign and post it back asap

No sign of the email yet though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

Noseyaf wrote: »
    I got a call from revenue today advising I’d receive my contract shortly and to print sign and post it back asap

No sign of the email yet though

No phone call or email mail here yet. Got the message on public jobs but that was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Amalia Scruffy Rim

Woodie82 wrote: »
    They are been understanding but they are not solving the problem they are still leaving me down there still not knowing what to do. When I took the position I didn't think I would be so isolated. In a room on my own. As my Sgt told me he would have never given this position to someone who is just a 1st time CO and with no experience working in an office.

Im just finishing my first year in a station, (a week to go to probation ending) it takes a while to get used to it, the training is non existent but the collegues are very helpful, in and out of the stations...ask as many questions as possible....I was like that for the first 3/4 months and now I got the swing of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭mur223

Im just finishing my first year in a station, (a week to go to probation ending) it takes a while to get used to it, the training is non existent but the collegues are very helpful, in and out of the stations...ask as many questions as possible....I was like that for the first 3/4 months and now I got the swing of it

Hi there, Can I ask what kind of work are you dealing with working in a garda station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Amalia Scruffy Rim

mur223 wrote: »
    Hi there, Can I ask what kind of work are you dealing with working in a garda station?

general admin work, excel, word and email are the main computer tools used, depends what area they put you in, I don't have to deal with the public in person, depends as i said, but its relaxed on uniform, jeans and a sweater or a shirt. Its grand, it does take a while to get to grips, but once you do its fairly routine.

I did feel uneasy at first being thrown in the deep end and did want to leave after the first week or two but I suppose learn by doing and ive never had any bad experience with a guard or eo or co in there and they will always help.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 clare3

clare3 wrote: »
    March forth and I was told it was a hard start date so no others would be offered.

Yes they told me that March 4th was definite but that if there were

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ironcage

Galway movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jimjammy10

Donegal movement anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grinchy88

ironcage wrote: »
    Galway movement?

I got a call yesterday evening offering me a position. My OOM is 2 and i was on the open competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭mur223

Kildare movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nynaeve

Hi All, had anyone heard anything about WEXFORD yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LisaD76

Does anyone know anything about positions in Waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

LisaD76 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about positions in Waterford?

No.

I know 127 were called to stage two tests so far. Not sure about interviews or assignment tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Jipzy

does anyone know if there has been movement on the Westmeath panel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jipzy wrote: »
    does anyone know if there has been movement on the Westmeath panel?

3 so far

Me and 2 transfers. I havent started yet but will be in Athlone (i'd prefer not to say where ;) )

It's very slow moving though - slowest year ever by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jipzy

Rikand wrote: »
    3 so far

Me and 2 transfers. I havent started yet but will be in Athlone (i'd prefer not to say where ;) )

It's very slow moving though - slowest year ever by all accounts

Oh god, hope it starts moving soon.
    Heard from a friend there taking on a few in payroll in the Department of Education in Athlone so hopefully that gets it moving. Did you get a start date? was it long from when they notified you of assignment?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Skippy21

Any update on Limerick, I wonder have they started taking people from 2.1 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Got offered Garda station in Tipp this evening.
    Any idea how long vetting takes? I know it's longer that general clerical officer clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hatesthejc

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Any idea how long vetting takes? I know it's longer that general clerical officer clearance.

Hi samsgirl, congratulations my vetting for TCO took 6 weeks 🙈 can I ask what Oom and batch you were roughly?

• Advertisement

hatesthejc wrote: »
    Hi samsgirl, congratulations my vetting for TCO took 6 weeks 🙈 can I ask what Oom and batch you were roughly?

Thanks a million.

Batch 1.1 oom in top 15, not exactly sure exactly what number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

15 weeks here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Snicks

Replying to your post on Westmeath so it looks like it's one from panel and two from mobility, that really changes your placement, like if you are placed 10 you could really be 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Snicks wrote: »
    Replying to your post on Westmeath so it looks like it's one from panel and two from mobility, that really changes your placement, like if you are placed 10 you could really be 30.

Well no, your placing is 20th in that case.

It would go like this

Mobility
    Open
    Mobility
    Open
    Mobility
    Open
    etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ernesto Guevara

Hope Westmeath starts moving along soon. Taking mobility into account, I'm essentially in the early 60s in terms of waiting for a placement. Starting to wonder will I be placed at all during this panel's duration ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Hope 2015

Congrats, where in Tipp did u get, will u have far to travel?

Hi Samgirl, It took 7 months for me! I ended up turning it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ironcage

Grinchy88 wrote: »
    I got a call yesterday evening offering me a position. My OOM is 2 and i was on the open competition.

Thanks, it's just so slow

Hope 2015 wrote: »
    Congrats, where in Tipp did u get, will u have far to travel?

South Tipp, only 20mins from home :)

jimjammy10 wrote: »
    Hi Samgirl, It took 7 months for me! I ended up turning it down!

7 months ??? Yikkes, were you out of the country for any period of time?

7 months ??? Yikkes, were you out of the country for any period of time?

No not at all. I have no idea why it took so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Woodie82

What garda station did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Hope 2015

South Tipp, only 20mins from home :)

That's great, it's hard to get close to home in Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭EireinOZ

Hi

did you hear back from them ? if so did you have any luck ? and how long did you have to wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Hemingway75

Just means that vetting was completed and the report sent to PAS. My vetting was clear...I got a call a short time later from HR in Revenue advising me of start date and contract and bank details.

Hey SB1982,

How are you? Which list were you on again, was it Limerick?
    How long did it take PAS to contact you after you got the email from the Garda Vetting? If you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
Advertisement