Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clerical Officer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Majorkate2018

lamb stew wrote: »
    Anyone have any update on the Kerry Panel

They are moving-allocations for the first 4 on batch 1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lamb stew

Thanks, great news. Have you been placed.

lamb stew wrote: »
    Thanks, great news. Have you been placed.

Not yet. Getting very close! How about you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Hi just wondering has anyone taken a significant pay cut to take this role and are they happy about their decision? The role appeals to me because the flexi time and better work life balance but I would probably be down 5k all in all. Are the pay increments shown on the forsa pay scale annually?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lamb stew

Nope reckon maybe 6 or 7 still in front of me, but great news it's moving. Any idea where people have been placed. I know Justice in Killarney took a few from top 5. I suppose aswell because Cork and Limerick are moving also impacted Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Hi just wondering has anyone taken a significant pay cut to take this role and are they happy about their decision? The role appeals to me because the flexi time and better work life balance but I would probably be down 5k all in all. Are the pay increments shown on the forsa pay scale annually?

Dont know about the significant pay cut but yes the increments are annual subject to satisfactory performance and compliance with the sick leave policy.

Are you working in private or public sector at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Hemingway75

Well if you are working in the private sector, the work life balance & the security provided by the public sector for me outweighs anything in the private sector. Plus, the people who I work with are nice. Which is a added bonus, going on my own experience..

Thanks I am in private sector at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Snicks

Folks anymore movement in Offaly at all, I'm hearing of lots of mobility, anyone know where the external panel is at. Congratulations to all who have secured positions.

Thanks I am in private sector at the moment

Your welcome Irishgirl19, best of luck with your choice and new role.

Where did you get posted?

• Advertisement

Where did you get posted?

In the PAS office. Heard its a good spot to get placed so I'm told. Also handy location too

In the PAS office. Heard its a good spot to get placed so I'm told. Also handy location too

Wow, that is brilliant. Very central in Dublin. Beside the Luas , buses around the corner.. very handy.

congratulations. Best of Luck in the new role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Snicks wrote: »
    Folks anymore movement in Offaly at all, I'm hearing of lots of mobility, anyone know where the external panel is at. Congratulations to all who have secured positions.

Snicks I think it’s about 3 weeks now since I was talking to them, they said there was absolutely no movement on Offaly at that time and I was 6 on the panel. Got offered a position in Laois so took that.

Congratulations Laoisgem on your appointment I hope it goes really well for you. Thanks for your reply on Offaly panel, its looking like it will be a big wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Booklad86

Hi irishgirl, I'm in the same boat. I decided to make the move for the same reasons as you (work-life balance and flexi-time). For me, it's a similar sized paycut but I've more or less reached the pay "ceiling" in my current role so I figured plugging away in the civil service for a few years would see my current pay massively improved upon. I think the best way to look at it is long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

Are you sure about this?. I just rang this morning and was told that 2 more people have yet to be placed from 1.1,and that 9 people had been placed altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭mur223

Hi Im just wondering how much notice most people have been given to hand in your notice in your current job. I have to give a months notice in work. I'm hoping they can understand this and I'm not expected to start work 2 weeks from being notified of my placement?
    Thanks

mur223 wrote: »
    Hi Im just wondering how much notice most people have been given to hand in your notice in your current job. I have to give a months notice in work. I'm hoping they can understand this and I'm not expected to start work 2 weeks from being notified of my placement?
    Thanks

Going by posts here, there is nearly always atleast a month or more, usually 6 weeks between being told you're hired to when you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

Thanks

They won’t expect you to start that quickly.
    I had 5 weeks from being given the start date to actually starting. They know people need to give notice in their current jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭336699

Thanks

I was given 5 weeks notice. I’m sure they realise people may have to give a months notice.

They rang from the clearance department to say they reached my place on the panel, was I still interested and then told me about references and vetting. They then emailed me with all the information discussed on the phone. I got vetting link later the same day.

Make sure you have all the contact details for your referee ready, they need one that covers the past 12 months. Also, if you have gaps in your employment and were receiving social welfare payments, they will need a letter with the dates and what payment you got.

My vetting was completed in 2 days.

Once you pass clearance, you get another call confirming the job and are emailed your contract and other information.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭mur223

336699 wrote: »
    I was given 5 weeks notice. I’m sure they realise people may have to give a months notice.

They rang from the clearance department to say they reached my place on the panel, was I still interested and then told me about references and vetting. They then emailed me with all the information discussed on the phone. I got vetting link later the same day.

Make sure you have all the contact details for your referee ready, they need one that covers the past 12 months. Also, if you have gaps in your employment and were receiving social welfare payments, they will need a letter with the dates and what payment you got.

My vetting was completed in 2 days.

Once you pass clearance, you get another call confirming the job and are emailed your contract and other information.

Best of luck!

Thanks a mill for the response! that puts me at ease now as my current employer wouldn't be impressed if I had to leave early.😋

Booklad86 wrote:
    Hi irishgirl, I'm in the same boat. I decided to make the move for the same reasons as you (work-life balance and flexi-time). For me, it's a similar sized paycut but I've more or less reached the pay "ceiling" in my current role so I figured plugging away in the civil service for a few years would see my current pay massively improved upon. I think the best way to look at it is long term.

Thanks I just need to do the math now to make sure I can cover all our bills. I know I'd be happier there. Just the funds

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Booklad86

Definitely. It's quite a pay cut alright so I may have to rein in some of my current spending myself. Good luck in your new role!

Are you sure about this?. I just rang this morning and was told that 2 more people have yet to be placed from 1.1,and that 9 people had been placed altogether.

I rang the other morning and was told that the first 4 in batch 1.2 had been allocated. That’s just the information I was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dorbrogra

Majorkate2018 Great news that Kerry is moving... do you know if there is a batch 1.3?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wezzopalooza

Got assigned to the Department of the Taoiseach. Anybody know what to expect in the role, and what it's like to work in?
    Thanks.

I rang the other morning and was told that the first 4 in batch 1.2 had been allocated. That’s just the information I was given.

Hope your source in PAS is right and mine is wrong 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MCLAW

laoisgem wrote: »

Snicks I think it’s about 3 weeks now since I was talking to them, they said there was absolutely no movement on Offaly at that time and I was 6 on the panel. Got offered a position in Laois so took that.
    Laois gem do you know how many have gone through for Laois to aptitude test stage?
    Best of luck with your new post! Am very jealous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭DM26

Hi all

I'm new to this thread. Anyone that had an interview in Dublin in January for Kerry/ Cork heard anything back yet? The suspense is killing me...!!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭DM26

Kerry gold wrote: »
    Any update on the Kerry panel?

I'm Batch 2 on Kerry panel, haven't heard a thing back. The waiting game is horrible isn't it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Jipzy

Congratulations Laoisgem on your appointment I hope it goes really well for you. Thanks for your reply on Offaly panel, its looking like it will be a big wait.

I was talking to them last week and they said only 1 had been called from the panel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

What is the net salary per week for a single person on the first point of Clerical Officer? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

CZ 453 wrote:
    What is the net salary per week for a single person on the first point of Clerical Officer? Thanks

Something like 370-380, don't get too excited!!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

CZ 453 wrote: »

It's about €405 someone on here posted (someone who is currently working as a CO) though I'm not sure if that is for single/married

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭EireinOZ

Any update in cork? Are they on batch 1 0r 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SB1891

EireinOZ wrote: »
    Any update in cork? Are they on batch 1 0r 2?

I rang PAS last week and was told they are on batch 2.1 number 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭EireinOZ

SB1891 wrote: »
    I rang PAS last week and was told they are on batch 1.2 number 25.

Thanks, where are the details to contact them? They have hire very little for cork

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ernesto Guevara

SB1982 wrote: »
    It's about €405 someone on here posted (someone who is currently working as a CO) though I'm not sure if that is for single/married

I'd imagine that's the new takehome for a single person since the pay increases. €370/380 seems a bit low considering the new starting salary is €450 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 msbolander

I'm on point 4 and my take home is 413.52. that's with standard tax credits and rate band standard USC... €12 goes to union and payment protection which is optional! clerical officers pay isn't great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I'd imagine that's the new takehome for a single person since the pay increases. €370/380 seems a bit low considering the new starting salary is €450 a week.

I was in. the role last year albeit I'm married so sure slightly different but by the time tax/stamp/usc/union deductions are taken I think my figure wouldn't be far off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

msbolander wrote: »
    I'm on point 4 and my take home is 413.52. that's with standard tax credits and rate band standard USC... €12 goes to union and payment protection which is optional! clerical officers pay isn't great!

I'm on point 2 and my take home is 388 + the 26 deducted at source for my tax saver ticket. Are you sure your takehome is correct? Union screwed new entrants (on pension especially) so I'd have no interest in joining them and giving them a few hundred a year as thanks.

Point 1 married person take home is €357 as spouse has most of my credits

It is about 380 a week. You have to consider pension contributions, tax and Union fees..

When I worked as a TCO I came out with 385..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gerrro

im currently on point 2 as a TCO and come out with €411 each week

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CorkCandidate

I rang PAS last week and was told they are on batch 1.2 number 25.

I thought you said it was from batch 2.1 in your post last week, maybe my mistake. I'm 30something on Cork batch 2.1, the wait is so frustrating, hard to make plans for the rest of the year regarding, rent, holidays etc. Rant over lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SB1891

I thought you said it was from batch 2.1 in your post last week, maybe my mistake. I'm 30something on Cork batch 2.1, the wait is so frustrating, hard to make plans for the rest of the year regarding, rent, holidays etc. Rant over lol

Oh I’m so sorry I meant 2.1, I’m number 40 in batch 2.1. I totally understand your frustration its such a long wait. I think i’ll go ahead and book holidays anyway, if its booked before we get word on the job I’m sure there wont be any issues getting the time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Anastasia_

Oh I’m so sorry I meant 2.1, I’m number 40 in batch 2.1. I totally understand your frustration its such a long wait. I think i’ll go ahead and book holidays anyway, if its booked before we get word on the job I’m sure there wont be any issues getting the time off.

I'm just a few after you so please don't be a stranger when you get the call!!

Anyone know how much tax a single person would normally pay on starting point of the pay scale. Is joining the union mandatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Murzo

Anyone know how much tax a single person would normally pay on starting point of the pay scale. Is joining the union mandatory?

A single person's yearly tax credit is 3300 which equates to a weekly credit of 63.46.
    Taking a gross salary of 451 you are liable to pay 20% tax on that minus any pension deductions. So take your pension deduction would be around 15 then you are left with 436 for tax purposes. Divide that by 5 which is 20% and you get 87.20. Minus your tax credit of 63.46 then this leaves you paying approx. 23.74 tax per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

Anyone an idea how many have got jobs in Galway and Mayo thus far?
    I wonder will it be a year or more before the next batch is called?

Thanks

Advertisement