Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clerical Officer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Clericalgirl

Right ok, makes sense now.. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭DM26

Got offered a role in CSO in Cork, my second choice.

I'm very hesitant as it would mean I'd have to move there but I figure I'd be stupid not to take it due to how decent a career it is once you get established after a while.

Thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭EireinOZ

DM26 wrote: »

I'm very hesitant as it would mean I'd have to move there but I figure I'd be stupid not to take it due to how decent a career it is once you get established after a while.

Thoughts anyone?

Congratulations, what is the role you have been offer? what number were your in the cork batch? I would write done the cons and pros of the job, and have a good look at them.
    I think if you are over 40km away you can turn it down and not be taken off the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭blondie007

Thoughts anyone?
    Congrats , that's great news! I hear the CSO is a lovely place to work. Can I ask what number you are on the Cork panel please ?

You can only turn down an offer if you live 45km or more from the job in the county in which you live. If you choose a 2nd choice-there's a reasonable expectation that you're willing to up sticks & move to that county. Hope they gave you some time to mull it over ? Best of luck anyway with everything !!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Augustduck

Hi, anyone know if there is any movement in Kilkenny? I am in the 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lamb stew

Thoughts anyone?

You said previously you were mid 20s in Kerry. Is that mid 20s in batch 2.1, or Min 20s overall

Mid 20s in Batch 2.1

I may never get a call for it so is it wise to take the Cork opportunity?

Mid 20s in Batch 2.1

I may never get a call for it so is it wise to take the Cork opportunity?
    What number are you on the cork panel please ?

blondie007 wrote: »
    What number are you on the cork panel please ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mala1313

Any movement on Clare or Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Thoughts anyone?

Take it, you can apply for a transfer after 2 years i think. They way the panel is moving in Kerry i wouldn't be surprised if it takes 2 years to get a place lol. I think you said you were in the 20's in batch 2? i'm in the top 10 in the same batch, you could well be waiting a long time for a place in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Murzo

Thoughts anyone?

I suppose you have to look at it financially. If you have to move there then you have rent costs etc. The starting salary is approx. 23.5K but there is a mobility scheme in operation which means after two years you can apply to move to an office closer to home. It is very flexible and you do get an increment every year so a lot to consider before you accept or turn it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Majorkate2018

Fracture wrote: »
    Take it, you can apply for a transfer after 2 years i think. They way the panel is moving in Kerry i wouldn't be surprised if it takes 2 years to get a place lol. I think you said you were in the 20's in batch 2? i'm in the top 10 in the same batch, you could well be waiting a long time for a place in Kerry.

Fracture are you top 10 in batch 2 or in batch 1.2 ?

Fracture are you top 10 in batch 2 or in batch 1.2 ?

Batch 2.1 Kerry

Batch 2.1 Kerry

I’m in top 10 of 1.2 - I rang last week and they were placing the last person in 1.1

• Advertisement

I’m in top 10 of 1.2 - I rang last week and they were placing the last person in 1.1

Every time I call them i seem to get different information. I was told they were finishing 1.1 a few weeks ago too and that they had already started 1.2 before that by a different person. I think there is like 20 people in 1.2? I'm not really sure, i know i'll be a pensioner by the time i get called for interview at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Perez2017

Murzo wrote: »
    I suppose you have to look at it financially. If you have to move there then you have rent costs etc. The starting salary is approx. 23.5K but there is a mobility scheme in operation which means after two years you can apply to move to an office closer to home. It is very flexible and you do get an increment every year so a lot to consider before you accept or turn it down.
    What exactly is an increment?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭revenent

Perez2017 wrote: »
    What exactly is an increment?

Pay increase every year,minor but build up nicely. Get them based on year review

revenent wrote: »
    Pay increase every year,minor but build up nicely. Get them based on year review
    well the money is poor but I've accepted the job. Place I work in now is very stressful so hopefully this will be better.

Every time I call them i seem to get different information. I was told they were finishing 1.1 a few weeks ago too and that they had already started 1.2 before that by a different person. I think there is like 20 people in 1.2? I'm not really sure, i know i'll be a pensioner by the time i get called for interview at this stage.

I rang about 3/4 weeks ago and they said they had finished 1.1 and had the first 4 of 1.2 assigned to jobs. The girls I was talking to last week said that only putting the last person for 1.1 into clearance now

Very different information and I’m gasping to get out of my current position so it’s very annoying

• Advertisement

I rang about 3/4 weeks ago and they said they had finished 1.1 and had the first 4 of 1.2 assigned to jobs. The girls I was talking to last week said that only putting the last person for 1.1 into clearance now

Very different information and I’m gasping to get out of my current position so it’s very annoying

Yep, I keep hearing about this last flipping person in 1.1 for the last two or three months. Ah well, atleast she's gone in to clearance now anyway 😂

well the money is poor but I've accepted the job. Place I work in now is very stressful so hopefully this will be better.

Congrats Perez2017..where will you be based?

Congrats Perez2017..where will you be based?

Thank, limerick, hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jock 1

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is much movement on the Kildare panel , how many have been called for interview ? , and how many placed so far ? This competition seems to be very slow moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Redcat75

Thank, limerick, hope it goes well.

Roughly what number were you ? I have my interview for limerick on Wednesday and wondering will I be offered anything before the end of the summer. Plus what can I expect to be asked at interview ? Thank you and congrats !

Interview on Wednesday, any advise? examples of questions you were asked etc ?

Yes I'm mid 20s in Kerry. I was told by the woman who called me to offer the job that I can apply for a transfer once the year's probationary period is up...

Yes I'm mid 20s in Kerry. I was told by the woman who called me to offer the job that I can apply for a transfer once the year's probationary period is up...
    You can apply for the mobility/transfer scheme after 2 years service, not 1. You join a list so you could be waiting awhile to transfer but at least you know you'll have a chance to move to another dept or county eventually. Nothing ever happens quickly in the civil service...waiting game....

blondie007 wrote: »
    You can apply for the mobility/transfer scheme after 2 years service, not 1. You join a list so you could be waiting awhile to transfer but at least you know you'll have a chance to move to another dept or county eventually. Nothing ever happens quickly in the civil service...waiting game....

I thought they changed it within the last two years, to just one year but like you said it's a waiting game, a long one I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Skippy21

Roughly how long does the garda vetting take?

• Advertisement

Skippy21 wrote: »

I presume it depends on the individual. Such as each employment they've had, whether they've lived abroad etc. It probably takes roughly a month on average?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gerrro

Mine was completed today took 12 days in total

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Depends on where you are being placed. If you are going to a Garda station or Dept of Justice there is a longer and more in-depth process and it can take up to 12 weeks. Some times even longer.

Redcat75 wrote: »
    Roughly what number were you ? I have my interview for limerick on Wednesday and wondering will I be offered anything before the end of the summer. Plus what can I expect to be asked at interview ? Thank you and congrats !
    I was number 46. Interview was one of the easier interviews i have done. 2 on the panel, very nice. Just have examples of working as part of a team, etc. Youll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mskimee

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Depends on where you are being placed. If you are going to a Garda station or Dept of Justice there is a longer and more in-depth process and it can take up to 12 weeks. Some times even longer.

Yeah, I've been placed in a Garda Station and started my vetting mid Feb. They told me when they called that 12 weeks was the minimum. I rang a few weeks ago to ask how it was going and they told me it would be a good while before I hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mskimee wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been placed in a Garda Station and started my vetting mid Feb. They told me when they called that 12 weeks was the minimum. I rang a few weeks ago to ask how it was going and they told me it would be a good while before I hear back.

A friend of mine is starting at the end of the month in a Garda station, from getting the phone call form PAS to the actual start date, it will have taken just over 5 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭mur223

How much do you have to pay towards pension per week? Clerical Officer grade 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Donegaljohn

Anybody any updates on donegal panel. Phoned a few times and they said email clearance which I did a few times but they won't reply.

Anybody any updates on donegal panel. Phoned a few times and they said email clearance which I did a few times but they won't reply.
    Just call them up and ask to be put through to the clearance section, they put you through straight away, just don't ring at lunch time. Call them after half 2 or in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

mur223 wrote: »

Around 13.56.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Mskimee wrote: »

Same here. Hoping to start in June / July. My current contract in the public sector expires at the end of May

Probably been asked a hundred times but how long after interview do you hear back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

mur223 wrote:

€13.55

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MCLAW

Some counties are moving along nicely, best of luck to all the new starts.. Laois has just posted their new recruitment for Temporary Clerical Officers if anyone is interested. If you get offered a temp position, have you any chance of a permanent role. Does it make it any easier etc 🀪
    Probably not sure that would make sense 🀭

MCLAW wrote: »
    Some counties are moving along nicely, best of luck to all the new starts.. Laois has just posted their new recruitment for Temporary Clerical Officers if anyone is interested. If you get offered a temp position, have you any chance of a permanent role. Does it make it any easier etc ��

HI Mclaw...you could have 30 years experience as a TCO but it wont give you any leeway into getting a permanent role. You must enter via the PAS competition and pass the aptitude tests and interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 MCLAW

MCLAW wrote: »
    Some counties are moving along nicely, best of luck to all the new starts.. Laois has just posted their new recruitment for Temporary Clerical Officers if anyone is interested. If you get offered a temp position, have you any chance of a permanent role. Does it make it any easier etc ��

HI Mclaw...you could have 30 years experience as a TCO but it wont give you any leeway into getting a permanent role. You must enter via the PAS competition and pass the aptitude tests and interview.
    Thanks Murzo,
    Yes I have entered this competition, no major movement in Laois unfortunately. I will apply for temporary positions, sure if you are not in..... And all that jazz!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have never worked in the public sector or even applied. What exactly is a "clerical officer"?

Is it basically admin/shuffling paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Gaffer78

I have never worked in the public sector or even applied. What exactly is a "clerical officer"?

Is it basically admin/shuffling paper?

If you have not even applied for this comp then why are you contributing to the thread with silly remarks. The dogs on the street know what clerical duties are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Gaffer78 wrote: »
    If you have not even applied for this comp then why are you contributing to the thread with silly remarks. The dogs on the street know what clerical duties are.

I'll just go and ask the dogs then. Paper shufflers it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Michaelhiggins

Does anybody know how the donegal recruitment is going, I'm hoping they are in to batch 1.2 at this stage, seems a bit slow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement