Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clerical Officer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭katiek102010

It's slightly worrying that you worked for the police when you can't even spell Sergeant :eek::confused::confused:

It's my phone lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Twe2018

Has anyone any update on limerick 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Ollie321 wrote: »
    Revenue CO training although intense has a very good reputation. I enquired with PAS earlier but no vacancies for my location unfortunately

When I started in revenue in the 90's there was no training

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭DM26

Gaffer78 wrote: »
    Many of the people who passed their interview with Publicjobs in May and were assigned to AGS have still not been through the extra vetting process, so you can expect along long wait.

I passed my interview at the start of the year and my AGS vetting was only submitted after I got offered the job two months ago :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,143 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When I started in revenue in the 90's there was no training

It's likely that a few things have changed in the last 20 years.

I've also been hearing from a well placed source that the Revenue training is thorough, and takes 5-ish months for COs and 2 years (not all the time though) for EOs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Paris123

Gaffer78 wrote: »
    Many of the people who passed their interview with Publicjobs in May and were assigned to AGS have still not been through the extra vetting process, so you can expect along long wait.

Had my interview in July and have a start date with AGS in the station after Christmas ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

Icbaby wrote: »
    I got it for Limerick but I have a holiday in June booked so rang them. They will ring me in the morning to confirm but training is 5 months she said so may not be able to take any summer holidays so I’ll wait and see or else if I apply and can’t take I’m out for the rest of the competition.

Your holidays won’t be a problem. I started in early March and had a weeks holidays booked for Mid-march and there was no problem. They never disprove any leave you want to take

I just flagged my March holidays to them when they made the offer. I took 2 more weeks in September and no issue. The training isn’t 5 months...it’s a 2 day course here and there and a week at the start...the rest of the time you’re working away and learning all the time...your more experienced colleagues will be who you will learn from the most and in my experience everyone is so lovely and no one has a problem with answering questions or helping you along. If you get an email about a training course and you’re on hols on that date you just email back and say you’re away and there’s no problem they just slot you in for the next run and you’ll get an email at a later date for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Icbaby

A question for anyone that jumped from the private sector to the public?
    Background... last year I was 3 away from being placed and the panel closed and I was gutted as I was in a job I no longer liked. This year I’m in a job I love that pays €10k more than I’d be starting in the CS. Some people think I’m crazy but other are telling me the pension and flexi time are worth it. Can anyone tell me working in CS is it worth it? I’m so conflicted right now. It’s a lot of money but I have a 2 year old and the flexi time (summer time) when she’s older and the pension is what is really drawing me to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Background... last year I was 3 away from being placed and the panel closed and I was gutted as I was in a job I no longer liked. This year I’m in a job I love that pays €10k more than I’d be starting in the CS. Some people think I’m crazy but other are telling me the pension and flexi time are worth it. Can anyone tell me working in CS is it worth it? I’m so conflicted right now. It’s a lot of money but I have a 2 year old and the flexi time (summer time) when she’s older and the pension is what is really drawing me to it.

If your happy in your job, 10k better off isn't it a no brainer. The pension is nothing to get overly excited by and you could be placed in a terrible environment. I was placed in the 2016 in a toxic office where 2 other CO's were out for each other (I said it to me wife after my first day). Within 3 days it had started, I left on my own health grounds but like I said if you're happy where you are stay, as with any job change private or public you won't know until you go ;)

If your happy in your job, 10k better off isn't it a no brainer. The pension is nothing to get overly excited by and you could be placed in a terrible environment. I was placed in the 2016 in a toxic office where 2 other CO's were out for each other (I said it to me wife after my first day). Within 3 days it had started, I left on my own health grounds but like I said if you're happy where you are stay, as with any job change private or public you won't know until you go ;)
    Is the pension not supposed to be great in the civil service or has all that changed???
    Thanks for the thoughts, I’m seriously struggling with what’s right on this one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Shador74

Your not guaranteed flexi time in all civil service depts. Phone based depts, some customers service, some guard stations dont have flexi. You can still build flexi days off but have to be onsite from 9 to 5. Just something else to be aware of when your weighing up pros and cons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Is the pension not supposed to be great in the civil service or has all that changed???
    Thanks for the thoughts, I’m seriously struggling with what’s right on this one!

I'm no expert but civil service terms of old are not the same as those these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 sgarvey

Can anybody tell me how it works with your No.1 and No.2 choice locations. I've been offered and starting a job for my No.2 location choice, does that mean I'm taking off my No.1 choice of location list?? I hear you could be up to 10 years waiting for a location transfer.. ����

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Ollie321

sgarvey wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me how it works with your No.1 and No.2 choice locations. I've been offered and starting a job for my No.2 location choice, does that mean I'm taking off my No.1 choice of location list?? I hear you could be up to 10 years waiting for a location transfer.. ����

Yes if you take a position you are removed from the panel, its all a gamble, refuse location no 2 in the hope of getting location no1 which might not happen etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mo-chara1

Hello there,I am in a similar position as you described in terms of salary drop and jumping from private sector to civil service. I put a lot of thought and research into whether it was worth taking up an offer or staying where i am.
    Here are the pros and cons as I see it and hopefully they will make your decision more clear.

Civil service pension: From what I have read and understand in my opinion the pension is not something I would look at as a secure retirement. you cannot top it up with AVC contributions, nor can you transfer any existing private pension into a civil service one.
    There is a pensions calculator online for the public service which gives you a guide as to your benefits when you reach retirement age.when I input my relevant details and assumed still being at the same grade ie: clerical officer when i reach 67, the calculation was pretty poor. I will not be depending on it soley. On the other hand if a person can move up the ranks to EO and higher then the pension becomes something that you can rely on as it is based on your career earnings.

Flexi Time: Whilst it is not Guaranteed as already stated, it is Definitely a plus in my book if you can avail of it in your department.

Salary: This was my biggest concern as like yourself it is a huge wage drop and I wondered was it a massive mistake to take a hit that big.I sat down and went through my finances with a fine tooth comb and took into account every single euro I spend, every bill that comes through the door and how much i spend on food. The end result for me is taking a CS job would be borderline nuts.
    My only light at the end of the tunnel would be to apply for promotion when they come up, but be realistic in that, the competition will be fierce for few positions and the process is the same as for CO. The same aptitude tests, interviews, oom numbers, and even then you might not ever get the chance to progress if your number does not get called up.Unless you do well enough to be ranked at the very top.
    The wage increments are nothing to get excited about as they are small and yearly. It would probably take you 10 years to get back to your current salary level relying on the annual increments alone based on staying at CO level.

€10k salary drop equates to about €150 less a week into your pocket. Depending on your circumstances that is lifestyle changing. No more nice things.No more meals out ect. That €150 a week would potentially see yourself with a handsome private pension in years to come, or take care of those unforeseen bills that happen in life. Your car breaks down, medical bills,even a simple doctors visit could become a big problem without the extra money you earn now.

I suppose to sum it up, you are crazy to consider it but you must have your reasons for doing so.
    I have decided that now is the right time in my life to give it a go, I will always wonder if it would have worked out, and I want to leave my current area of employment behind and make a fresh start on a different path.
    So I have given myself a time frame to stick to and if it does not look like i can further myself in the Civil Service and recoup the salary drop, well at least i will have tried and will know it was/was not for me.

I hope maybe this will give you some help in making a decision but do your own research and see if you think that getting back that 10k a year is possible in the short/medium term because it is a massive difference in quality of life without it.
    Good luck

mo-chara1 wrote: »
    Hello there,I am in a similar position as you described in terms of salary drop and jumping from private sector to civil service. I put a lot of thought and research into whether it was worth taking up an offer or staying where i am.
    Here are the pros and cons as I see it and hopefully they will make your decision more clear.

Civil service pension: From what I have read and understand in my opinion the pension is not something I would look at as a secure retirement. you cannot top it up with AVC contributions, nor can you transfer any existing private pension into a civil service one.
    There is a pensions calculator online for the public service which gives you a guide as to your benefits when you reach retirement age.when I input my relevant details and assumed still being at the same grade ie: clerical officer when i reach 67, the calculation was pretty poor. I will not be depending on it soley. On the other hand if a person can move up the ranks to EO and higher then the pension becomes something that you can rely on as it is based on your career earnings.

Flexi Time: Whilst it is not Guaranteed as already stated, it is Definitely a plus in my book if you can avail of it in your department.

Salary: This was my biggest concern as like yourself it is a huge wage drop and I wondered was it a massive mistake to take a hit that big.I sat down and went through my finances with a fine tooth comb and took into account every single euro I spend, every bill that comes through the door and how much i spend on food. The end result for me is taking a CS job would be borderline nuts.
    My only light at the end of the tunnel would be to apply for promotion when they come up, but be realistic in that, the competition will be fierce for few positions and the process is the same as for CO. The same aptitude tests, interviews, oom numbers, and even then you might not ever get the chance to progress if your number does not get called up.Unless you do well enough to be ranked at the very top.
    The wage increments are nothing to get excited about as they are small and yearly. It would probably take you 10 years to get back to your current salary level relying on the annual increments alone based on staying at CO level.

€10k salary drop equates to about €150 less a week into your pocket. Depending on your circumstances that is lifestyle changing. No more nice things.No more meals out ect. That €150 a week would potentially see yourself with a handsome private pension in years to come, or take care of those unforeseen bills that happen in life. Your car breaks down, medical bills,even a simple doctors visit could become a big problem without the extra money you earn now.

I suppose to sum it up, you are crazy to consider it but you must have your reasons for doing so.
    I have decided that now is the right time in my life to give it a go, I will always wonder if it would have worked out, and I want to leave my current area of employment behind and make a fresh start on a different path.
    So I have given myself a time frame to stick to and if it does not look like i can further myself in the Civil Service and recoup the salary drop, well at least i will have tried and will know it was/was not for me.

I hope maybe this will give you some help in making a decision but do your own research and see if you think that getting back that 10k a year is possible in the short/medium term because it is a massive difference in quality of life without it.
    Good luck

WOW thank you. I could take the drop financially as my child is only small so doesn’t need lots (ie school trip to France - btw when did that become a thing) etc that she would need when older and we do have a good wage from my partner but it is a lot of money, it’s actually the equivalent of what I’m paying creche a week I’d be loosing out on so it’s significant. I was solely going because of the pension and flexi time. But now I’m not so swayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sparks15

mo-chara1 wrote: »
    Civil service pension: [...] you cannot top it up with AVC contributions, nor can you transfer any existing private pension into a civil service one.

This has changed recently - Circular 15/2019 - Purchase and Transfer of Retirement Benefits under the Single Public Service Pension
    Scheme

Any updates on Donegal? Seems no movement since last interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dublingirlx

I’ve been called to stage 2 aptitude tests this Thursday for Wexford. Wish me luck. Any tips or advice please would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 suppet

I’ve been called to stage 2 aptitude tests this Thursday for Wexford. Wish me luck. Any tips or advice please would be great.

Best of luck! Just practice using the tests, and if you get stuck on a question, just move on to the next and of course don't panic! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Spend the last 90 seconds answering any remaining questions C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭shmeee

Practice.

http://www.quickstart360.co.uk/runtest.aspx

You don't even need to fill in details above, just click continue and sample questions will open up.

I didn't have to complete the questions listed as "Categorising Information" at the stage 2 tests, only the other 3 sections.

Don't get bogged down in any questions as the time will fly, set a time aside for each question and move on.

I found reading the questions first in the Verbal Interpretation helped. Again, may work for others and some may find it not useful.

You can make up ground in the Checking Test section, but practice is key for them ones as the slightest difference may go unnoticed.

Very easy get to, it's literally right beside the Jervis Street Luas Stop to the left of Spar.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Calmcookie84

Any update on where they are for Cork interviews?

Limerick batch 5.1 OOM 37 contacted and offered vacancy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SolidAir010

Congratulations, just practice those tests on the public jobs page as much as you can . I did stage 2 exams for Waterford panel in September although Wexford was my first choice location. Ain’t heard anything about Waterford panel interviews just yet , has anyone heard anything? Last I checked they were on batch 5 and I’m in batch 6

shmeee wrote: »
    Limerick batch 5.1 OOM 37 contacted and offered vacancy today.

Well done ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Well done ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Not me ! 😂

I'm still in the hunt.

Just passing on info is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DJOC83

WOW thank you. I could take the drop financially as my child is only small so doesn’t need lots (ie school trip to France - btw when did that become a thing) etc that she would need when older and we do have a good wage from my partner but it is a lot of money, it’s actually the equivalent of what I’m paying creche a week I’d be loosing out on so it’s significant. I was solely going because of the pension and flexi time. But now I’m not so swayed!

Hi,
    Just a quick note that may or may not be of help to you. I'm newly in with the civil service and just like you it was a 10k hit that I'd be taking and that is not something to do lightly.. I went every night reading boards.ie and searching Google and crunching numbers... In the end I took the leap..For me it was a case that I was as far as I could go in my old job, I was stressed and generally I was not happy. I was also working long hours which meant I was missing time with my kids. I'm lucky I'm in a flexi system and even if it's just an extra 1 hour I have in the evenings with the kids it's amazing what a difference this is making at home. The money is woeful. No sugar coating it. 459 before tax... 1st pay check is 393. That is a big downer to taking the job. I already miss the extra 150 😢 Everything else with the job makes me glad I made the jump though, but It is truly a work life balance decision.. If you can take the hit is something that only you can decide. Its going to be tight for me but its done now so I'll just have to be savvy and hope the yearly increments go ahead... Short term pain, long term gain (hopefully)
    Probs not much help... Look at fórsa payscales 2020 increases to see about planning ahead (increment approval pending of course)...
    All the best either way.

Congratulations, just practice those tests on the public jobs page as much as you can . I did stage 2 exams for Waterford panel in September although Wexford was my first choice location. Ain’t heard anything about Waterford panel interviews just yet , has anyone heard anything? Last I checked they were on batch 5 and I’m in batch 6

I am also in batch 6 for Waterford and did the test in September! Heard the same thing as you, not onto interviews for 6 yet! First choice is Kilkenny for me but no sign of movement there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Tacky12

Hi,
    this is my first time applying for the clerical officer position and I was just wondering what happens after the supervised tests. I was put into batch 5 for Donegal and I was told yesterday that they have placed upto batch 4 no 8. Do we get called to interview according to the batch number or do you jusr get placed when they get to your batch and OOM?
    And when does the campaign close?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Twe2018

Limerick update I was in batch 5.1 Oom 55 and I’ve just been offered job .

Twe2018 wrote: »

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tacky12

Well done :)

Tacky12 wrote: »
    Hi,
    this is my first time applying for the clerical officer position and I was just wondering what happens after the supervised tests. I was put into batch 5 for Donegal and I was told yesterday that they have placed upto batch 4 no 8. Do we get called to interview according to the batch number or do you jusr get placed when they get to your batch and OOM?
    And when does the campaign close?

Thanks!

Batch 5 will go to interview next, you may be given a new OOM afterwards and thus receive an offer accordingly.
    However they have not placed up to Batch 4 OOM 8, that's the last batch which were called to interview, as far as I am aware they are still working on Batch 3 with job offers.
    Nobody seems to know with certainty the exact closing date but sometime next year

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lego.andi

Congrats!

• Advertisement

Congrats.

They are flying through job offers for that Limerick batch yesterday and today, 37 was offered yesterday evening and 55 there now for you. Good to see movement.

I've received email for interview next week for Tipperary, batch 4 OOM 16. Quick turn around time to respond and confirm attendance.

Another step closer.

DJOC83 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just a quick note that may or may not be of help to you. I'm newly in with the civil service and just like you it was a 10k hit that I'd be taking and that is not something to do lightly.. I went every night reading boards.ie and searching Google and crunching numbers... In the end I took the leap..For me it was a case that I was as far as I could go in my old job, I was stressed and generally I was not happy. I was also working long hours which meant I was missing time with my kids. I'm lucky I'm in a flexi system and even if it's just an extra 1 hour I have in the evenings with the kids it's amazing what a difference this is making at home. The money is woeful. No sugar coating it. 459 before tax... 1st pay check is 393. That is a big downer to taking the job. I already miss the extra 150 😢 Everything else with the job makes me glad I made the jump though, but It is truly a work life balance decision.. If you can take the hit is something that only you can decide. Its going to be tight for me but its done now so I'll just have to be savvy and hope the yearly increments go ahead... Short term pain, long term gain (hopefully)
    Probs not much help... Look at fórsa payscales 2020 increases to see about planning ahead (increment approval pending of course)...
    All the best either way.

Thanks so much. I think I’m just gonna see how it pans out, (somewhere with flexi and not a call centre and I’m in). Like you I’ll take the short term pain for the gain..,

There will be a 2% pay increase in September 2020 also.

There will be a 2% pay increase in September 2020 also.

When was that announced? :)

DM26 wrote: »
    When was that announced? :)

Just chatting to an EO the other night about jobs etc in the Public Sector and starting pay / advice and he was saying of pay increases and mentioned one of 2% next September. Again, don't hold me on that, but has anyone else heard of anything similar?

Just form quick Google spotted this:

1st January 2018: 1% pay adjustment
    1st October 2018: 1% pay adjustment
    1st January 2019: Pension levy threshold up from €28,750 to €32,000 (worth €325pa)
    1st January 2019: 1% pay adjustment for those earning less than €30,000
    1st September 2019: 1.75% pay adjustment
    1st January 2020: Pension levy threshold increased to €34,500 (worth €250pa)
    1st October 2020: 2% pay adjustment.

• Advertisement

Just chatting to an EO the other night about jobs etc in the Public Sector and starting pay / advice and he was saying of pay increases and mentioned one of 2% next September. Again, don't hold me on that, but has anyone else heard of anything similar?

Just form quick Google spotted this:

1st January 2018: 1% pay adjustment
    1st October 2018: 1% pay adjustment
    1st January 2019: Pension levy threshold up from €28,750 to €32,000 (worth €325pa)
    1st January 2019: 1% pay adjustment for those earning less than €30,000
    1st September 2019: 1.75% pay adjustment
    1st January 2020: Pension levy threshold increased to €34,500 (worth €250pa)
    1st October 2020: 2% pay adjustment.

Also miss points 4 and 8 on the scale. Also .5% in jan 2020 for those under 32K

Also miss points 4 and 8 on the scale. Also .5% in jan 2020 for those under 32K

So (as it seems I won't be starting until next year) what will the starting salary be for someone who starts in January 2020? The best part of 25k?

DM26 wrote: »
    So (as it seems I won't be starting until next year) what will the starting salary be for someone who starts in January 2020? The best part of 25k?

23984 + 0.5% = 24104

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Louise7

Hi all, I see a position for temporary Clerical Officer and wondering if I should apply as I waiting a call for an interview.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dublingirlx

Aptitude test just done and dusted. To the lovely girl I met from Kerry today up since 5am, hope you get home and have that nice glass of wine. Waiting game now. Fingers crossed.

Louise7 wrote: »
    Hi all, I see a position for temporary Clerical Officer and wondering if I should apply as I waiting a call for an interview.
    Thank you

I am in the same boat, just waiting for the CO interview. I have applied for the TCO campaign(just finishing one job now), there's no harm in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Mr lebowski

I see the temporary and permanent panels are reopened as of today. Does anyone know when the 2018 permanent panel will close?, I passed my interview however I dont think my number will be reached in Offaly.

I see the temporary and permanent panels are reopened as of today. Does anyone know when the 2018 permanent panel will close?, I passed my interview however I dont think my number will be reached in Offaly.

Where do you see the permanent panel advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭furrybones

I haven't seen a permanent campaign advertised, where did you see it?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Mr lebowski

furrybones wrote: »
    I haven't seen a permanent campaign advertised, where did you see it?

Apoligies one of my friends shared it on Facebook and the picture said permanent clerical officer panel however when u click into it it says temporary!

• Advertisement
Advertisement