Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clerical Officer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Murzo

HI, I got 8 for Offaly and 19 for Westmeath. I scored 698 overall. Just for people wondering how the OOMs were reached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

tringle wrote: »
    This is the third time I have completed this exact scenario test and I really don't know how to answer it. I'm working as a TCO and asked a few of the managers in answering am I to be loyal to the organisation, loyal to my collegues , a follower or a leader....their answer, all of the above and more. None of them had taken this test and said they couldn't even guess at the answers. Though apparently there is a knack to doing it as someone else has family that always score high in it....does anyone else have this "system".
    Also in answering the skills you have I tried to be honest as two people I know who applied for TCO exaggerated a bit got picked up on this at interview stage and where failed at the interview.
    The aptitude tests has four sections, verbal, numerical and two clerical/ checking type ones.( Thank you whoever posted the info about the samples on public jobs). So I did the samples and found the first two OK and easy to understand and time OK but the second two I found do need practice, for me one was about trying to understand what they wanted in the question and the second was just timing, trying to be accurate and quick.
    There are sample timed tests on public jobs site, I had to use the site map to find them.

Best of luck to everyone, it seems to be an unnessecarily long process.

Are you referring to the online assessment questionnaire that we did at stage 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

tringle wrote: »
    This is the third time I have completed this exact scenario test and I really don't know how to answer it. I'm working as a TCO and asked a few of the managers in answering am I to be loyal to the organisation, loyal to my collegues , a follower or a leader....their answer, all of the above and more. None of them had taken this test and said they couldn't even guess at the answers. Though apparently there is a knack to doing it as someone else has family that always score high in it....does anyone else have this "system".
    Also in answering the skills you have I tried to be honest as two people I know who applied for TCO exaggerated a bit got picked up on this at interview stage and where failed at the interview.
    The aptitude tests has four sections, verbal, numerical and two clerical/ checking type ones.( Thank you whoever posted the info about the samples on public jobs). So I did the samples and found the first two OK and easy to understand and time OK but the second two I found do need practice, for me one was about trying to understand what they wanted in the question and the second was just timing, trying to be accurate and quick.
    There are sample timed tests on public jobs site, I had to use the site map to find them.

Best of luck to everyone, it seems to be an unnessecarily long process.

Thats what i said, ive no idea how they score the answers as they stated there is no right or wrong answer. Well obviously there is .

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dublingirlx

Hi just wondering, are all supervised assessments & interviews done in Dublin only?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

Hi guys I came 26 and scored 660. What does this really mean? Am I likely to get a job soon or not?! Thanks.
    I scored 20 for Waterford and 26 for tipperary.

First of congrats on your good result, but no it has no real bearing on whether you'll get a job offer or not. You could be OOM 1 and fail the interview and that's the end of the road for you. As someone already said here your OOM is nothing more than your waiting room number.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Are you referring to the online assessment questionnaire that we did at stage 1?

It is the third time that the same questions have been asked, the past two TCO competitions and now this one according to a friend who has done all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Pamelabeasley

Just received the following after emailing them about oom

“Qualification at Stage 1 is no guarantee that a candidate will be invited to Stage 2 or subsequent stages.

For candidates the order of merit will change upon the results of stage 2.”

Just received the following after emailing them about oom

“Qualification at Stage 1 is no guarantee that a candidate will be invited to Stage 2 or subsequent stages.

For candidates the order of merit will change upon the results of stage 2.”

So basically oom means feck all in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Gaffer78

So basically oom means feck all in this.

No because your OOM from stage 1 dictates if you will be called to Stage 2 or not. Following your stage 2 results, your new OOM will be determined against those that have also participated in stage 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 taraxxxxx

Gaffer78 wrote: »
    No because your OOM from stage 1 dictates if you will be called to Stage 2 or not. Following your stage 2 results, your new OOM will be determined against those that have also participated in stage 2.

So how do we no if we will be called to stage 2 from our oom? Also if you pass stage 2 you get a new result and oom and that is your number then to be placed.?

Gaffer78 wrote: »

Ye but youll get called eventually anyway as you have got through for the next stage, which i believe is the numerical etc testing ? So those whove got say 10 oom atm and those who are ranked at say 400 are the really the same atm? This will change then change after that stage?

If you are called to stage 2 you will be reranked against fewer applicants (those who were also called to stage 2)

Ye but youll get called eventually anyway as you got through for the next stage, which i believe is the numerical etc testing ? So those whove got say 10 oom atm and those who are ranked at say 400 are the really the same atm? This will change after that stage?

Nope passing stage 1 is not a guarantee of being called forward to stage 2 :(

taraxxxxx wrote: »
    So how do we no if we will be called to stage 2 from our oom? Also if you pass stage 2 you get a new result and oom and that is your number then to be placed.?

You will know if you are being called for stage 2 only when you get a message from publicjobs telling you that you are now invited to stage 2. After you do those supervised tests, and assuming you pass them, you will get a new OOM and told that you may be called for interview if reached - that would be stage 3, the final stage. Assuming you are called for interview, stage 3, its a simple pass or fail. If you pass that interview, then your OOM from stage 2 is the one thats used to decide your placing on the panel for those awaiting assignment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Ye but youll get called eventually anyway as you got through?

Not necessarily. It's basically a how long is a piece of string question. It's dependant on the staffing needs of the area you applied for. You could be 700 in one area and get to stage two but 200 in a different area and not get called

• Advertisement

Nope passing stage 1 is not a guarantee of being called forward to stage 2 :(

Ah get you. Its a stupid system to be honest. Ive no idea how they ranked people as there are 'no right or wrong answers' as they stated.

Ah get you. Its a stupid system to be honest. Ive no idea how they ranked people as there are 'no right or wrong answers' as they stated.

As I understand it, they use a metric that weights the answers you give, versus what PAS deem the most appropriate answer/responses that a CO would/should give in that scenario. So while there are no right and wrong answers, there are answers that are considered more appropriate than others for the role that you are applying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

Thats what i said, ive no idea how they score the answers as they stated there is no right or wrong answer. Well obviously there is .

Essentially yes, there are 'right' answers. The initial assessment questionnaire is a personality test of sorts. You're supposed to answer honestly as to what, in your opinion, is the best course of action in a given scenario. They're looking for certain qualities in their candidates, so there would be 'right' answers in terms of how they mark the questionnaire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

In the first half of my post yes.
    In to second half I am referring to the upcoming aptitude tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭shmeee

I wouldn't worry about your rank after stage 1. I know people who ranked 600's plus in the 2016 campaign and recently got placed. It's all about stage 2 and the interview, you can gain massive ranking score from them.

You've literally just got a waiting number from stage 1.

• Advertisement

shmeee wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about your rank after stage 1. I know people who ranked 600's plus in the 2016 campaign and recently got placed. It's all about stage 2 and the interview, you can gain massive ranking score from them.

You've literally just got a waiting number from stage 1.

Its not accurate to tell people not to worry about their rank after stage 1. Depending on their OOM they may never get called any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Anniesland

The OOM placing from Stage 1 will determine when you are called to stage 2. So those that scored a higher placing on the OOM in Stage 1 will be called to Stage 2 earlier. Subsequently those scoring best at Stage 2 will be called to interview first based on their OOM order after Stage 2. Those that are then successful at interview will then be offered positions. Simple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 StrikeHurls

Hi there, does anyone have any idea of how many applications we're submitted.....or how many left in the competition.....
    Or any idea of when the next stage will begin, based on previous campaigns.

Hi does anyone have any idea of how many applications we're submitted or how many applications left in the competition....
    Based on previous campaigns how long does it take for the next stage to begin....

Hi does anyone have any idea of how many applications we're submitted or how many applications left in the competition....
    Based on previous campaigns how long does it take for the next stage to begin....

Im not sure this time around but there was 28000 in 2014 comp and 29000 in 2016, although this time around Dublin was not included

Thanks

Has anyone any tips on how to prepare for the next stage, numeracy, comprehension etc. Good examples, books or practice sheets. I'm really crap at them because of the time limits, really need to practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bozo

Has anyone any tips on how to prepare for the next stage, numeracy, comprehension etc. Good examples, books or practice sheets. I'm really crap at them because of the time limits, really need to practice.
    There is a few sample tests on the publicjobs.ie site, on the advice section of the page.

Just received a bit of feedback there now from publicjobs. Here is a handy guide for anyone interested

457263.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Just received a bit of feedback there now from publicjobs. Here is a handy guide for anyone interested

457263.PNG

I just got that there as well. So I'm category B...
    And it's out of 800.

• Advertisement

457263.PNG

This clarifies things a bit more I think, usually band a, or the top group are called first then b etc. at least gives a bit more of an idea about progression chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 CopperLady

This makes things much clearer. So each group will be called to do the testing and we'll be assigned a new OOM based on that result if we pass, then called to interview based on the new number?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nanapot

It would be really helpful to know how many positions are available and how many are competing? I got into the A group in Cork which was my only choice. I have been following this post closely my oom is 262, I'm fairly discouraged I was hoping to get a job soon! I might start sending CVs out elsewhere

Nanapot wrote: »
    It would be really helpful to know how many positions are available and how many are competing? I got into the A group in Cork which was my only choice. I have been following this post closely my oom is 262, I'm fairly discouraged I was hoping to get a job soon! I might start sending CVs out elsewhere

Even with a very good place it can take ages. I topped both my panels in 2016 and it still took eight months to start

For a better gauge of your area have a flick through the 2016 thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dilw2

Nanapot wrote: »

Judging previous threads on 2016/2017 campaigns it seems to be a very slow process, people waiting months between each stage. I applied for Carlow/Kilkenny & thankfully am working currently, im applying to other positions too

• Registered Users Posts: 6 deedle_bug

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057897559/1/#post107678786

A thread for any Waterford and or Wexford people

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Majorkate2018

I applied this year. I ranked 35 in Kerry with a score of 640.

I’m due to start another job the end of this month so fingers crossed I may get a call for this before then!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭HDonal

I applied this year. I ranked 35 in Kerry with a score of 640.

I’m due to start another job the end of this month so fingers crossed I may get a call for this before then!

We'll done, great score. This campaign won't start recruiting until the autumn when the 2016 campaign ends. You're in good shape though and should be in the first or second batch

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Majorkate2018

HDonal wrote: »
    We'll done, great score. This campaign won't start recruiting until the autumn when the 2016 campaign ends. You're in good shape though and should be in the first or second batch

Thanks HDonal! Hate to start a job only to leave it soon after.
    At the same time though CO has better prospects and security.

Where are you ranked/what county?

• Advertisement

Thanks HDonal! Hate to start a job only to leave it soon after.
    At the same time though CO has better prospects and security.

Where are you ranked/what county?

I went for Kerry too, ranked 100ish. It was a backup really as I've recently been placed in the 2016 campaign (I applied before I was called about my placement).

Definitely more prospects and security, it's a great opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Molly2016

HDonal wrote: »
    I went for Kerry too, ranked 100ish. It was a backup really as I've recently been placed in the 2016 campaign (I applied before I was called about my placement).

Definitely more prospects and security, it's a great opportunity

Do you know roughly how many are called in batches?

Molly2016 wrote: »
    Do you know roughly how many are called in batches?

It depends on the county I think so there's no set answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Joem123556

I’d imagine big numbers will be called to the next round owing to the fact many who did well in the assessment questionnaire may not even pass the next stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Is 280 any good for Kerry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

First of congrats on your good result, but no it has no real bearing on whether you'll get a job offer or not. You could be OOM 1 and fail the interview and that's the end of the road for you. As someone already said here your OOM is nothing more than your waiting room number.

This is nonsense.

It has a massive bearing. If you didn't place well here it's all over already. You won't even get a chance at stage two.

At stage two it might be fifty people who will then be re-ranked and then those fifty will be placed before anyone else even gets a stage two call.

The interview is very laid back and very few fail.

To give people some idea of the wait.....

Stage 1 results - 8th August 2016
    Stage 2 - 6th October 2016
    Stage 2 results. - 28th November 2016
    Stage 3 interview - 30th January 2017
    Job offer - 8th May 2017

And I was number 10 in Wexford in 2016 after stage two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 5outof6cats

Hahaha,you personify everything wrong with the civil service.

This is a very silly comment .

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Anniesland

Executive Officer in the Civil Service 2018 (Dublin) is advertised today for anyone that's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MCLAW

Stage 2 would eliminate candidates I'm sure? This is my first time to enter a competition like this.
    Would it make more sense to call candidates from category A & B to sit the supervised tests in Dublin and update the OOM and go by this panel..
    It's a kind of unfair system, I'm sure if we all sat that online personality type assessment again we would all give different answers... Whereas the numerical/verbal testing is testing your academic level (yes??).. Oh I don't know its crazy really 🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

MCLAW wrote: »
    Stage 2 would eliminate candidates I'm sure? This is my first time to enter a competition like this.
    Would it make more sense to call candidates from category A & B to sit the supervised tests in Dublin and update the OOM and go by this panel..
    It's a kind of unfair system, I'm sure if we all sat that online personality type assessment again we would all give different answers... Whereas the numerical/verbal testing is testing your academic level (yes??).. Oh I don't know its crazy really ��

I'd agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Joem123556

Stage 2 will definitely eliminate a bulk of candidates. Scoring high in assessment questionnaire has no bearing on how people will score in the aptitude tests. For this reason I envisage a large bulk being called to the next stage from each county. The rankings will change hugely after the next stage and many will be eliminated so I’d agree that this initial stage ranking isn’t that important unless you are sitting very low. I think they’ll call category A & B to allow for this and the fact that loads enter these competitions with no intention of taking a job. Can’t see them calling in batches of 40/50 as others have said, it’s too low numbers considering there will be failures, I think it’ll be much higher number they call.
    Also worth noting that the next round ranking doesn’t include the assessment questionnaire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement