Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men B Vaccine - 7 Year Old Boy

Options
  • 15-06-2018 10:37am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm not looking for medical advice or a debate about vaccines. Just other people's experiences.

We had our 7 year old vaccinated on Wednesday and he hasn't been feeling well since. High fevers and loss of appetite. Took him to the Doctor on Call last night and he told us it can be a side effect and to keep an eye on him. No other illnesses detected.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not bashing the vaccine, I don't regret having him done. I'm just looking for other parents' experiences and how long this can last etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Can last up to 48 hours IME. Did he have sniffles or any hint he wasn't 100% beforehand, that can affect the reaction? Both ours have had it with no long term side effects after their other vaccines were completed. HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Infinite Fart

Our wee one had this vaccination a few months ago. Think it's meant to be a tough one for them. She had a high temperature that wouldn't come down for ages, seemed a bit sensitive to light and we were wondering did she have some kind of headache. Temperature came down eventually but had a tough night or two. Passed after a few days. Booster was grand after that too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

lazygal wrote: »
    Can last up to 48 hours IME. Did he have sniffles or any hint he wasn't 100% beforehand, that can affect the reaction? Both ours have had it with no long term side effects after their other vaccines were completed. HTH.

Thanks for that. No he was in the whole of his health.
    Our wee one had this vaccination a few months ago. Think it's meant to be a tough one for them. She had a high temperature that wouldn't come down for ages, seemed a bit sensitive to light and we were wondering did she have some kind of headache. Temperature came down eventually but had a tough night or two. Passed after a few days. Booster was grand after that too.

Can I ask how old your little one was getting it? Thanks

Our baby son (now 9 months old) had his Men B jab as part of his schedule and he was a little out of sorts, but not as bad as the 7 year old.

It wasn't included in the schedule when this child was having his infant shots. Hence why he's having it now.

I just expected it to be easier for a bigger child. And the Nurse said he'd be fine apart from a sore arm and might feel out of sorts, give Calpol if needed etc.. I think I just got a bit of a fright at how strong his reaction to it has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Infinite Fart

xzanti wrote: »
    Thanks for that. No he was in the whole of his health.

Can I ask how old your little one was getting it? Thanks

Sorry just looked at vaccine schedule there. My mistake it was the booster that was the tough one and that was at 4 months old. I remember being quite worried at the time but it did pass eventually with lots of nurofen, calpol and cuddles. Poor little thing :( Hope he's feeling better soon.

Sorry just looked at vaccine schedule there. My mistake it was the booster that was the tough one and that was at 4 months old. I remember being quite worried at the time but it did pass eventually with lots of nurofen, calpol and cuddles. Poor little thing :( Hope he's feeling better soon.

No worries, yeah most people would assume it's a baby I'm talking about at first glance. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My little boy had a mild temp for about 24 hours after the 4 month one as well. I know someone who’s baby had a very high temp after it and ended up in hospital. Apparently 50% of children will get some kind of fever from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

xzanti wrote: »

I just expected it to be easier for a bigger child. And the Nurse said he'd be fine apart from a sore arm and might feel out of sorts, give Calpol if needed etc.. I think I just got a bit of a fright at how strong his reaction to it has been.

Bigger child, but more developed immune system also. A 7 year old would have a much more developed innate immune system (early responder cells) than an infant, which would on a biological level explain a more severe response in terms of fever, etc.

rspb20143085-g1.jpg

Of the children who are immunised:

1 in 2 will have a fever
    1 in 10 will get discomfort, redness or swelling where the injection was given or will have a fever
    1 in 100 may get a high fever
    Children usually recover from these minor side effects within a day or two

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/pcischedule/vpds/menb/#How%20to%20manage%20fever%20after%20MenB%20vaccine

Nothing really out of the ordinary, as the Doc on call said - keep an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Normal reaction to bexsero which will pass.

Bigger child, but more developed immune system also. A 7 year old would have a much more developed innate immune system (early responder cells) than an infant, which would on a biological level explain a more severe response in terms of fever, etc.

rspb20143085-g1.jpg

Of the children who are immunised:

1 in 2 will have a fever
    1 in 10 will get discomfort, redness or swelling where the injection was given or will have a fever
    1 in 100 may get a high fever
    Children usually recover from these minor side effects within a day or two

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/pcischedule/vpds/menb/#How%20to%20manage%20fever%20after%20MenB%20vaccine

Nothing really out of the ordinary, as the Doc on call said - keep an eye.

Wow, thanks for all that :)

Advertisement