Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JP Sega Saturn - AV options.

• 15-06-2018 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭

Recently purchase a JP Saturn, but it came with the bog standard composite cable.

I also don't have a CRT, but I'm using a US bought small flat screen TV, with all the standard input options.

What are my options for a better picture, and where do I get them from?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RGB Scart is far and away the best output you can get on a Saturn. Easy enough to get a good quality cable from eBay from retrogamingcables.

The only issue is most US tvs don't support it.

Next best is svideo. Much easier to get a US set that supports it and while it's not as good as RGB the difference is minor.

The absolute best though is to get an upscale like the frame meister and run RGB into it. It gives a 1080p output through hdmi and while it introduces some lag, since it is outputting 1080p native your TV scaler won't kick in so the loss of frames there which is far more severe is negated.

The issue here is a frame meister is very expensive and you will also need a RGB adapter, make sure it's a powered one that plugs into the frame meister USB port.

Are Retrogamingcables cables noticeably better than than the much cheaper alternatives?
    The guts of £20 seems like madness for an old cable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When it comes to RGB cables I don't cheap out. I did once and got a cable that was only wired for composite. The better quality the better picture. And 20 sterling isn't much when you consider the vast image quality you will get across all of your games.

Fair point. I'm in the market for a PS1 scart cable at the moment, I may give them a whirl. I'll see can I rustle up a cheap one too from a buddy and compare them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,325 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been using PS1/2 cables that cost 10-15 euro for years, as long as they're wired correctly they're grand.

Some of those more expensive RGB cables are rediculously over engineered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Relikk

o1s1n wrote: »
    Some of those more expensive RGB cables are rediculously over engineered.

It really depends on what you're connecting them to. Cheaper cables on CRT's are fine as any interference due to unshielded cables isn't noticeable. Using unshielded cables with upscalers for use on HD TV's however, that's a different beast altogether. The picture quality is slightly worse because the interference is very noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Are Retrogamingcables cables noticeably better than than the much cheaper alternatives?
    The guts of £20 seems like madness for an old cable

Got a £5 Scart for the Mega Drive off Amazon, picture quality is very good. Slight audio buzz on black screens. Quality of the cable is pretty cheap as expected, I don't know how much better the picture quality would be with more expensive cables though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

The JPN Saturn i just got has an S Video with Red White Yellow connectors also, is that the best it can offer or will i get another cable?
    Any links?

RGB Scart is the best it can output but s-video really isn't all that far off the quality of RGB scart that it might not be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    RGB Scart is the best it can output but s-video really isn't all that far off the quality of RGB scart that it might not be worth it.

Thanks Retr0, will look into it and possibly another tv/monitor needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement