Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE World Cup Coverage

• 15-06-2018 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭

Having a gander today

Panel Hurley, k Doyle S Given, unknown female

Eeeeh

Hurley is very harsh, the lady on the panel has a Katie Taylor delivery,mile a minute stuff,no pauses, wear you out.

Doyle and Given not too bad, but they need to slow the fork down,and Hurley needs to calm the kick and rush stuff down.

Hopefully they will improve , difficult to relax and get real feedback?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Having a gander today

Panel Hurley, k Doyle S Given, unknown female

Eeeeh

Hurley is very harsh, the lady on the panel has a Katie Taylor delivery,mile a minute stuff,no pauses, wear you out.

Doyle and Given not too bad, but they need to slow the fork down,and Hurley needs to calm the kick and rush stuff down.

Hopefully they will improve , difficult to relax and get real feedback?

Stefanie Roche I think? Stuck between the two lads. But, is it just our reception - the lip sync is way out? OK on other channels, so don't think it's our receiver. Annoying to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

That panel were absolutely brutal especially that small blonde, then the silly eejit with the wigs trying to be funny was so cringe too.

I'll be sticking to UTV from now on, embarrassing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Having a wee gander here as well for the afternoon game. Usually watch BBC followed by ITV.

I miss Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Stefanie Roche I think? Stuck between the two lads. But, is it just our reception - the lip sync is way out? OK on other channels, so don't think it's our receiver. Annoying to watch.

Yes you may be right, very Katie Tayloresque delivery.

Hurley comes across as very ‘threatening ‘ to my mind.

My advice would be to this lot is to r e l a x, chill out and enjoy the experience.

Contrast Maloney and Co. much slower paced and relaxed on the 1600 game

Maloney much less threatening using his role as a facilitator , less frantic, better viewing, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I want to see Hope Solo and Dunphy on the same panel in a major row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

She’d batter the little prick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes you may be right, very Katie Tayloresque delivery.

Hurley comes across as very ‘threatening ‘ to my mind.

Both from Bray AFAIK :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

is this to to with gender equality, the combination of all four didnt really work

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

I normally prefer to watch the RTE coverage. The punditry is usually so much more knowlegable than the alternative channels. The panel they had this morning was beyond embarrasing. I know they can't have the big boys on for every match, but they should be able to put together a decent B team at least. If they can't put a decent panel together they would be better to show only the game with no panel. Otherwise they will lose viewers who switch over and don't switch back later on. I can't believe anyone could watch the garbage they presented today and not switch over at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Heard Jacqui Hurley suggest earlier that there was a "correlation" between the Spanish manager being fired and the Irish Saipan episode.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Heard Jacqui Hurley suggest earlier that there was a "correlation" between the Spanish manager being fired and the Irish Saipan episode.

:rolleyes:

Only if you remove one a from Saipan and mix around the rest of the letters ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Anyone watching online?

I have a 450mb connection and connected direct with ethernet but once again picture is either terrible or dropping out. Same for anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

deisedevil wrote: »
    Anyone watching online?

I have a 450mb connection and connected direct with ethernet but once again picture is either terrible or dropping out. Same for anyone else?

Rte doesn't have enough bandwidth to stream mass audience programmes. So it's not you, it's them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Trasna1 wrote: »
    Rte doesn't have enough bandwidth to stream mass audience programmes. So it's not you, it's them.

Yep.

I have no aerial for TV. But must continue to pay €160 a year to watch the odd match on that terrible quality stream.

I raised a complaint before, gave loads of info, examples, all troubleshooting steps, advised used multiple devices connected direct through ethernet and connecting through my mobile broadband connection. They responded to say my internet connection was at fault. Then completely ignored all my repsonses thereafter.

Why should anyone be forced to pay for a service that does not work and can be proven to be the providers issue. If Netflix were this poor you could cancel straight away.

I'm sure it will all improve when we are forced to pay the increase they are looking for though right. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Long past time Dunphy got his P45 IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

What is with this apres match crap it hasn't been funny for 15yrs why keep showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Darragh Maloney on tonight with Liam Brady,Richie Sadlier and Keith Andrews on panel I am not a fan of Andrews,but overall very good analysis and excellent presentation as usual by Maloney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Darragh Maloney on tonight with Liam Brady,Richie Sadlier and Keith Andrews on panel I am not a fan of Andrews,but overall very good analysis and excellent presentation as usual by Maloney.

Andrews is a bit of a pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seriously someone from wardrobe needs to tell liam to up his shirt size and ditch the tie... he still talks a lot of sense so am hoping we dont lose him to an unfortunate choking incident.

I dont know where this trend for 3 analysts comes from. Clough and Big Ron could handle this stuff on their own!
    If rte need to save money thats a no brainer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's a wonder RTE haven't Marty Morrissey involved. He's in everything else except the Christmas crib, though he'd fit in it.

• Advertisement

It's a wonder RTE haven't Marty Morrissey involved. He's in everything else except the Christmas crib, though he'd fit in it.

He was busy"on the far over side"of the Shannon today making sure Hyde Park in Roscommon is ok for the Connaught final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He was busy"on the far over side"of the Shannon today making sure Hyde Park in Roscommon is ok for the Connaught final.

Was he making his "dayboo" in the Hyde?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ger Canning was commentating on the Spain Portugal match and did refer to a free kick as a "free out" so there is some gaa phrases creeping in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Why is there so much Marty?

His post match radio programme on Sunday is even actually called The Marty Squad! Who does that? His f*ckin SQUAD??

He was on the f*ckin Bloom coverage last week!!

Does he have dirt on Dee Forbes or something?

Anyway, that's off topic. I watch every match on RTE, cos they have easily the best comms & co comms (give Kerr the big matches, for f*ck sake) but generally do something else until kick off, mute at half time (or go to BBC), because I hate the ads and only watch post match if something amazing happens.

I get all my analysis from podcasts.

Was he making his "dayboo" in the Hyde?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

flazio wrote: »
    Ger Canning was commentating on the Spain Portugal match and did refer to a free kick as a "free out" so there is some gaa phrases creeping in.

It ain't the World Cup without Ger Canning. Very surprised he got such a big game, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭famagusta

What do ye think of the display of goalscorers during the game?? Instead of showing them all on one graphic, they kept scrolling, made my eyes bleed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

flazio wrote: »

If it's not George Hamilton or Adrian Eames leading the commentary it is off to bbc/itv. Kerr can't rescue the situation if it's one of the gaa commentators in the driving seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Overall Canning did quite well in my opinion, good identification of the players no slip ups or forgetting who's who. He was paired up with Jim Beglin and I was able to watch the match with no complaints or eye rolling.
    Only thing is though I get the feeling that RTÉ were saving a few air fares by commentating from Dublin rather than sending the boys over to Sochi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

famagusta wrote: »
    What do ye think of the display of goalscorers during the game?? Instead of showing them all on one graphic, they kept scrolling, made my eyes bleed

This is awful. Not just RTE though, as saw on BBC so must be the main feed.
    What were they thinking?
    Far better seeing all goal scorers on one screen at once.
    It just looks crap.

Maradona rolling around in his seat, watching Argentina fail to break down Iceland, with cigar between his fat fingers.

George Hamilton reckons it's 'a more positive use of the hand on this occasion'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Maradona rolling around in his seat, watching Argentina fail to break down Iceland, with cigar between his fat fingers.

George Hamilton reckons it's 'a more positive use of the hand on this occasion'

His goal against England was the greatest use of a hand in the history of soccer.

George seemed to think he was on the BBC and not RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Panel of Duff Dunphy and Dunne very lack lustre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Panel of Duff Dunphy and Dunne very lack lustre

Absolutely hate Duff, he's a whingey, miserable ****er who lacks any personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Duff always looks like someone who's just been tore out of bed for school , and always a moany attitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Why is there so much Marty?

His post match radio programme on Sunday is even actually called The Marty Squad! Who does that? His f*ckin SQUAD??

He was on the f*ckin Bloom coverage last week!!

Does he have dirt on Dee Forbes or something?

Anyway, that's off topic. I watch every match on RTE, cos they have easily the best comms & co comms (give Kerr the big matches, for f*ck sake) but generally do something else until kick off, mute at half time (or go to BBC), because I hate the ads and only watch post match if something amazing happens.

I get all my analysis from podcasts.

Don't you know he's a 'legend' in this country. We confer legendary status on pretty much any ubiquitous tool. Healy-Raes? Legends, boy! Daniel O'Donnell? Legend! etc Although I don't have much time for Marty, he's harmless enough, and there are a lot more cynical, egoists that I despise more. Whenever I see Marty, he always reminds of a smiling happy demon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I haven't had a world cup in Ireland since 98 but so far I much prefer RTE over the BBC. Duff is a bit of a moan but he knows his stuff. I think RTE have a better balance than the BBC as in they have a much more diverse panel which gives you opinions from different eras/ backrounds in the game. The BBC so far has been mostly players all from the same era from the top clubs so all the opinions seem to be the same. I haven't seen ITV as I can't get it on my sky box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Who is the guy with the massive head of black curls, they are so out of control on his head that I end up totally distracted by them and so miss what he is saying, I mean the literal head on him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

youtube! wrote: »
    Who is the guy with the massive head of black curls, they are so out of control on his head that I end up totally distracted by them and so miss what he is saying, I mean the literal head on him!

Keith Andrews

Itv have Keane and Bilic. Worth a watch. Plus copying BT sport they have a ref (Mark Clattenberg) to review contentious issues.

For the French penalty yesterday, the RTE panel, including Given and Didi, thought it wasn't a penalty because the Australian got a touch on the ball. The pro ref on ITV knew it was a certain penalty on review and the RTE panel were talking through their hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Itv have Keane and Bilic. Worth a watch. Plus copying BT sport they have a ref (Mark Clattenberg) to review contentious issues.

For the French penalty yesterday, the RTE panel, including Given and Didi, thought it wasn't a penalty because the Australian got a touch on the ball. The pro ref on ITV knew it was a certain penalty on review and the RTE panel were talking through their hat.

Clattenberg is a clown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I almost died a death laughing at Clattenburg's fake tan.. he is a grade A tool.

The clown had gone full on chocolate face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Weepsie wrote: »
    Keith Andrews

I am well out of touch with Irish football since the glory days , did he score lots of goals? Is he a bit of a legend? Is that why he on the panel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Weepsie wrote: »
    Keith Andrews

He's a donkey, worst pundit ever, nearly as bad as the token woman the other day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Once I recovered I was then treated to Rio Ferdinand's insightful 'analysis' as to how Ronaldo could 'mix it up' when kicking the ball.

Back to RTE to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

BBC are still rolling out Mark Lawrenson for games, don't know why he clearly hates his life, Russia, World Cups, football, footballs, the colour green.

Sam Matterface is on ITV as a main commentator and he's ok but he comes out with some shíte too, yesterday when Pavon came on he went for "he's a small lad, 5'5, the same height as Kirstin Dunst or Mel from Mel & Sue".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

lawred2 wrote: »
    Once I recovered I was then treated to Rio Ferdinand's insightful 'analysis' as to how Ronaldo could 'mix it up' when kicking the ball.

Back to RTE to stay.

Ah yes, Rio. "Norway will they be watching that". I presume they will, including their National footballers too who aren't there.

Phil Neville on BBC got called out for his waffle by Drogba and the presenter in the France - Australia game. Great to see and made him squirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Patww79 wrote: »
    He uses 25 words where 5 will do and says "football club" a lot, so it sounds like he knows what he's on about.

See also: Kenny Cunningham, though at least he's crabby enough to be mildly entertaining.

And you can always look at Kennys eyebrows go up and down with every word

• Advertisement
Advertisement