Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VoWiFi Requirements

Options
  • 15-06-2018 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what the requirements are for using Eir VoWiFi?

Can you bring your own Android phone from another provider? Do you have to have Eir broadband? Are there any other limitations, such as Bill Pay Vs PAYG?

Thanks
    Gavin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

KGavin wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Can you bring your own Android phone from another provider? Do you have to have Eir broadband? Are there any other limitations, such as Bill Pay Vs PAYG?

Thanks
    Gavin
    Hi KGavin ,

please see all information regarding wifi calling on the following link - https://www.eir.ie/wificalling/.

Thanks

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭KGavin

Hi guys,

Thanks
    Gavin
    Hi KGavin ,

please see all information regarding wifi calling on the following link - https://www.eir.ie/wificalling/.

Thanks

Thomas
    Why is it so difficult to get an answer on any specific questions relating to this? There is no information on your link about whether it is possible to use your own device, if Eir fixed line broadband is required (as I was dubiously told by your in store staff), or whether it is available on PAYG as well as bill pay.

I have heard before Eir are are totally inept, and this does nothing to improve that image to a potential new customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Hi guys,

Thanks
    Gavin
    Hi KGavin ,

Thanks

Thomas
    Why is it so difficult to get an answer on any specific questions relating to this? There is no information on your link about whether it is possible to use your own device, if Eir fixed line broadband is required (as I was dubiously told by your in store staff), or whether it is available on PAYG as well as bill pay.

I have heard before Eir are are totally inept, and this does nothing to improve that image to a potential new customer.
    It is possible to use your own device and you do need to have fixed line broadband.

Thanks

Thomas 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Hi guys,

Thanks
    Gavin
    Hi KGavin ,

Thanks

Thomas

It is possible to use your own device and you do need to have fixed line broadband.

Thanks

Thomas 
    Fixed line broadband or specially Eir fixed link BB?

Also, is this available to pre pay or is it just billpay?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Hi guys,

Thanks
    Gavin
    Wi-Fi calling is available on all the eir bill-pay plans including SIM-only 30 day plans, so in theory you can bring your own handset. However, it is complicated because some manufacturers have operator specific firmware. (eg Samsung). If you have a wi-fi calling handset that is in eir's current range, you should be able to drop it into a shop and get them to flash it with eir firmware. If you choose a handset that is not in eir's range you need to check with the supplier that the wi-fi calling will work on eir's network.

You need reliable fixed line broadband to use wi-fi calling. It doesnt have to be from eir. wi-fi calling works anywhere in the world when you have decent wi-fi. In particular, you need low latency and a stable uplink. If you have a highly contended service, it may not be suitable. 

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Thanks
    Gavin
    Hi KGavin ,

Thanks

Thomas

Thanks

Thomas 
    This is misleading information Thomas.

Just so you know it is not possible to use Android devices with Eir WiFi Calling, unless they are bought directly from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Hi guys,

Thanks
    Gavin
    Hi KGavin ,

Thanks

Thomas

Thanks

Thomas 

Just so you know it is not possible to use Android devices with Eir WiFi Calling, unless they are bought directly from you.
    Android devices need to have the eir firmware flashed into them.  You can bring your own, providing the model is supported by eir and there is an eir version of the firmware for WiFi calling.  

Hi guys,

Thanks
    Gavin
    Hi KGavin ,

Thanks

Thomas

Thanks

Thomas 

Android devices need to have the eir firmware flashed into them.  You can bring your own, providing the model is supported by eir and there is an eir version of the firmware for WiFi calling. 
    Thanks babelfish1990,

That's the kind of information I would expect to get from the providers representative, and which I thought was true until Thomas quite categorically stated above that "it is possible to use your own device". This is untrue, except in limited cases (Apple devices), and at a cost for Android devices (€20ish I was informed on the phone, and in a place that representative couldn't identify for me). Thomas also forgot to mention that it is only possible with devices Eir sells themselves, not any device as he implied.

Awful service from an awful company.

Advertisement