Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partnership or Sole Trader with Employee?

Options
  • 15-06-2018 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

Myself and my brother are looking to set up a business soon. Which option would be better - to register as a partnership or for him to register as a sole trader with me as an employee? I would be the only employee in the business. Are both business structures the same with the only difference being the number of people involved? My concern with the sole trader option is any paperwork involved in getting me registered as an employee and PAYE. A partnership seems like it would be more straight-forward?

Also, I believe that he would be entitled to the Start Your Own Business Relief of tax-free profits for 2 years - would choosing one business structure over the other have any impact on this?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hearscheme

Also, we would hopefully be changing this to a limited company at some point but that would be further down the road.

Advertisement