Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to reach the actual business owner directly?

Options
  • 15-06-2018 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

We were contracted to complete a project and from the beginning dealt directly with someone in a receptionist/assistance role. This individual was terrible at keeping in touch, going months without any communication. We eventually contacted the business to say that we'll be closing the project if there's no progress - attempting to go over this person's head just in case.

We received a mail from this same person saying that they no longer wish to continue with the project.

It's no big loss for us at all, happy to be rid of it in some ways, but we are worried that if this person has been misrepresenting us to the business owner by putting blame on us for the project collapsing then that could be damaging to our reputation.

What's the usual way to ensure contact is made with the actual business owner, rather than a receptionist/secretary? I was thinking of sending a registered letter saying "Strictly confidential, for the attention of (person) only" or something to that effect?

Thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

And what if it was the owner that was the problem and not the receptionist? What will you achieve then?

I'd just write it off to experience. In future, why not make sure you visit every client and see how they work. Who are the decision makers, who signs the cheques?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Cianos wrote: »
    We were contracted to complete a project and from the beginning dealt directly with someone in a receptionist/assistance role. This individual was terrible at keeping in touch, going months without any communication. We eventually contacted the business to say that we'll be closing the project if there's no progress - attempting to go over this person's head just in case.

We received a mail from this same person saying that they no longer wish to continue with the project.

It's no big loss for us at all, happy to be rid of it in some ways, but we are worried that if this person has been misrepresenting us to the business owner by putting blame on us for the project collapsing then that could be damaging to our reputation.

What's the usual way to ensure contact is made with the actual business owner, rather than a receptionist/secretary? I was thinking of sending a registered letter saying "Strictly confidential, for the attention of (person) only" or something to that effect?

Thoughts appreciated.

LinkedIn ? It’s going to be direct to the person if they are registered to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

The receptionist might open the mail too.

Maybe ask for a meeting to close out the project and see what you both can do better next time to prevent it collapsing?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

No need to do this really, just move on. It's 99% certain the receptionist's attitude is just a reflection of the business and the business owner is likely to be no different. In fact, if the owner wasn't involved, how important was the project to them? They likely aren't giving it a second's thought and neither should you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Plot twist: the receptionist is the owner

• Advertisement

Or there really is no "receptionist"....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks for the replies everyone. The reason I think it'd be worth bypassing the receptionist is because they told us during the project that they were landed with the project and implied (I can't remember the exact words but it was very clear) that they needed to get it sorted or else they'd be in hot water with their employers. This person came across as highly disorganised and had trouble grasping the technical side of things (even though we made every accommodation to assist, held several meetings etc). Now that the project has gone stale my guess, and it's only a guess, would be that the receptionist put the blame on us rather than themselves as to why it didn't work out. So we're at a loss on the remaining payments for the project plus reputation damage if it is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Always the case in business, dealing with a clueless gatekeeper or an intern/work experience drone that the CEO puts in charge of "Now you look after the website" or worse the husband/wife who decide to give their input at the final stages.
    This person came across as highly disorganised and had trouble grasping the technical side of things (even though we made every accommodation to assist, held several meetings etc)
    . Red Flag #1 - From the start, take a large deposit and set out payment points so you don't get stung at the end, invoice payment received, move to next stage of the project, no work before payment commitment.

Now that the project has gone stale my guess, and it's only a guess, would be that the receptionist put the blame on us rather than themselves as to why it didn't work out.
    Probably, but who cares? they sound like a disaster so their own reputation is terrible. I wouldn't worry about reputation if they are not arsed with this project then they have bigger things to do and problems to worry about.
    So we're at a loss on the remaining payments for the project plus reputation damage if it is the case.
    If the work is done, then recover the loss by sending an invoice and letter requesting payment or you will take the matter further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I’d call the MD’s PA and say that you are concerned that the project has been called off, that you need the name of the best senior person to talk to about it. The line to take is that you are concerned as this never happened before and you want to explore the reasons why. You then call the ‘name’ person and say that you’ve been given their name by MD’s office as the best person to explore this. Once the discussion is underway be prepared for recriminations, conflicts (he said / she said), etc. Also use it - at a very late stage- to mention that there remains an amount outstanding.
    Projects generally have more interest on one side than another, often are foisted on people and frequently run cold if dragged out. I’ve been on both sides of that equation.

From here on in I would take red flags like a very disorganised contact person as a sign that other things will go awry too - and payment is very likely to be one of those things.

You need to be sure you are dealing with someone ideally in a senior role who is responsive and attentive, or at least that the project is going to be actively overseen by such a person. Ensuring you meet with them at the outset and have names, role titles, contact details etc - all basic stuff really.

Without all of this I wouldn't even commence a project, let alone let it get to this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement