Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with first project - offset adapter for light switch

Options
  • 15-06-2018 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I want to design an adapter for a pull cord switch to offset it by approx 6 inches.

The pull cord is currently situated too close to the door entry and it cannot be moved easily due to the flooring above and a RSJ blocking the ideal location for it.

What I intend to do is make a two piece stadium which ends have a radius matching the bottom face of the pull-cord switch. The bottom side will be screwed into the ceiling and the upper side will interface the pull cord with the lower side.

The electrical cable will be connected into a terminal block strip as the cable would not have sufficient length for the full distance. Therefore, the height of the stadium would only need to approximately 3cm/4cm.

The pull cord will be screwed into the upper side - possibly with bolted screws. There will be a length of cabling from the block connector through a hole in the upper side which will feed directly through the base of the pull-cord switch and connect into the pull cord as intended.

That is the plan. I intend to get this 3D printed - is there a better way?

I also do not know yet how to join the two sides of the stadium. My current intention is to use self tapping screws as I'm not sure how to include the female connections for the standard electrical screws.

So, this is currently as far as I've got with the plan.

What do I need to attempt this myself? It sounds straightforward enough for a first project, isn't it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I know you are looking for CAD advice, but I am a fan of the K.I.S.S methodology.

If I read your query correctly, you have a pull switch that you wish to offset?
    Assuming it's a cord operated pull, would it not be an easier solution to screw in an "eyed" screw or bolt in the position you wish the switch drop to be and thread the cord through that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Normally, I'd agree, but I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone here. I'm using it a way to learn CAD for 3D printing.

Your solution is what we currently have in place. However, I don't like the look of it. I thought I would kill two birds with one stone by designing an adapter plate myself which would help me learn some CAD and tidy this up.

Advertisement