Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Country sports deer hunting course

Options
  • 15-06-2018 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

While I have heard the course itself is very good they are advertising the course as being accepted by coillte now I spoke to the coillte rep in Cahir who looks after the leases for a hugh area and have being told today that the HCAP is the only recognised course any one heard anything to the contrary surly lads are only wasting money doing this course if it’s not acceptable to coillte

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I would assume that if they say it is recognised then it would be and maybe the person you were speaking to was not informed by his manager yet.
    I also believe it is now recognised by the NPWS for the section 42s

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

The point I’m makeing this lady looks after all the leases south tipp Kilkenny Waterford into cork as far as she has being told the only reconised course is the hcap so if you tender your leases with this course if the person awarding the lease is told the only course valid is a hcap then you can’t get the lease

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Currently the minimum qualification required by all Licensees and holders of Annual
    Stalking Permits (unrestricted) is the Hunter Competence Assessment Programme
    (HCAP) - refer www.deeralliance.ie. or the Country Sports Deer Stalking Training
    Course (completed since March 2018 to include assessment of related Irish legislation)
    www.countrysportsireland.org qualifications.

Straight from 2018 Coilte catalogue of available licences

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Yeah I have seen it lad the only point I’m making is if coillte reps don’t know About it it’s very bad form like could you loose out on lease because those that make the decision are not made aware for the record I’ll be attending this course as soon as I get back from holiday just missed this one heard great reports about it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Anyone know how much it costs to do this course?

There doesn't seem to be any prices at all on their website.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 mshayeb

It's about 150 euros and it's a full day, it might cost more if you don't have a rifle and ammo
    Anyone know how much it costs to do this course?

There doesn't seem to be any prices at all on their website.

It is really on her to get up to date on new rules and updates to the catalogue.

Tommyaya4 wrote: »
    The point I’m makeing this lady looks after all the leases south tipp Kilkenny Waterford into cork as far as she has being told the only reconised course is the hcap so if you tender your leases with this course if the person awarding the lease is told the only course valid is a hcap then you can’t get the lease

mshayeb wrote: »
    It's about 150 euros and it's a full day, it might cost more if you don't have a rifle and ammo

That's not too expensive in fairness.

Thanks for the reply.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

no not at all, especially that you do it all in one day, and you dont have to go twice on two different days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Who were the lecturers of this course?

• Advertisement

Ronan Gorman
    David Dunne
    JP from midland range

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Who were the lecturers of this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fallow01

Ronan Gorman
    David Dunne
    JP from midland range

The attached media coverage reporting a conviction, against a protected Wildlife species, for one of those running the course has been highlighted on a number of social media pages. While all training is positive, does this take away from the courses credibility for law abiding deer stalkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Myself and 3 friends did this course and found it very good and thorough. And it is recognised by coillte 100%.

That was over 18 years ago, how could that take away from courses credibility?

In reference to post 13.

I didn't see or hear anything during the course that gave me such impression. I did read the HCAP book couple of time, the course is basically the same but with a stalk simulation and you do it in one day, that's it.

Also the issue is 18 years old, unless they proof that they didn't learn the lesson we can't hold that over them, for the rest of their lives

What do you guys think!?
    Fallow01 wrote: »
    The attached media coverage reporting a conviction, against a protected Wildlife species, for one of those running the course has been highlighted on a number of social media pages. While all training is positive, does this take away from the courses credibility for law abiding deer stalkers?

mshayeb wrote:
    Ronan Gorman David Dunne JP from midland range

Did they say what qualifications they had to lecture or who gave accreditation for the course and content?

the course is one of the courses provided by http://www.countrysportsireland.org/

Can I ask what the alternative to this course is, how much it costs, how long it takes, where and when is it held?

the course is one of the courses provided by http://www.countrysportsireland.org/

Yes I see they do a fox control course for there members,I presume they are just ordinary blokes trying to help out. For a fee.

A better idea than asking random people (us) you can pickup the phone and give them a ring or you can message them on FB.

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Yes I see they do a fox control course for there members,I presume they are just ordinary blokes trying to help out. For a fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Fallow01 wrote: »

Pigeons in a shed? Protected species? Sounds like feral pigeons to me which aren't protected. People will have their own opinions as to whether knocking down pest pigeons with a catapult and wringing their necks is cruel or not (I would say it is), but there was no conviction for killing protected wildlife. It was an animal cruelty conviction. Plenty of antis out there would say all of us who hunt and fish are guilty of animal cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Mate of mine did a course with these and said it was ****e
    At the same time he was told it wasn't acceptable to NPWS. He is a a nice lad but a simpleton...he and his money were easily parted since as we have said time and time again on boards.....there is no need for this course.

Advertisement