Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer build, please help

Options
  • 15-06-2018 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Looking for a new desktop computer with the main intention of it for gaming. Games such as Arma, Rust, Battlefield etc.  
    I want to try and keep the price around 500 euro/ 450 pound. I have a monitor keyboard and mouse which are perfectly fine, just the hardware I am not quite familiar with.
    Any advise and or recommended pre builds/builds would be tasty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭breadmond

Honestly you won't get much for €500 these days. I had a look on PC part picker and even absolutely cheaping out on everything I can't get a build in under 600. If bitcoin keeps dropping then prices may come down in the future.

I would suggest googling budget gaming builds and then plugging the parts into pcpartpicker.com (with location set to Ireland or else you'll see American prices) to see what you can get for your money. You want to be getting a 1060 GPU if possible but on your budget you might need to go for a 1050ti. Ryzen 1200 is a good cheap CPU and will allow you to use cheaper motherboards than newer intel chips

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Just buy a PS4 at that money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

durtybit wrote: »
    Just buy a PS4 at that money

You can get a used PC that outperforms a new PS4 & will last longer tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

500 is a good budget for a 2nd hand machine that would definitely be significantly better than a PS4 or XB1. Always keep in mind that there's a good degree of flexability with prices on adverts too. One of those links is mine at €500 but I'd happily take around €380 for example.....you just wouldn't believe the messing that goes on, on Adverts. If you had it up for 380 the first offer would be 'would ya take 200'.

Lenovo also had (not sure if still does?) an i3-7100, 8GB, GXT1050Ti machine for €450 delivered on special sale which is insane value for a prebuilt - maybe have a look at that. Only problem is that for some very intensive games like Battlefield 1 the CPU isn't going to give you great performance online.

I would avoid anything with an i3 (unless a new i3-8100 as they are now quad core) as they just don't cut it anymore for games like Battlefield online and that's a game you specifically mentioned.

That first link Skerries posted is an excellent deal second hand even at the full asking price. I'd definitely go for that if it's possible.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You can get a used PC that outperforms a new PS4 & will last longer tbh.

Yep but as things move on, every year the PC for gaming becomes more obsolete. Your left with a PC that can't run new intensive games you want to play or if the pc does play it you have to scale it down that much its horrible to play.

Less hassle with a console. If you were serious about gaming you wouldn't be looking to spend 500 euro for a "gaming" pc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Yep but as things move on, every year the PC for gaming becomes more obsolete. Your left with a PC that can't run new intensive games you want to play or if the pc does play it you have to scale it down that much its horrible to play.

Less hassle with a console. If you were serious about gaming you wouldn't be looking to spend 500 euro for a "gaming" pc
    Would the same not apply to a console? If a PC is outperforming a PS4 now, it will likely continue to outperform it, and you will have to buy a ps5 to play new intensive games?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Would the same not apply to a console? If a PC is outperforming a PS4 now, it will likely continue to outperform it, and you will have to buy a ps5 to play new intensive games?

Can your 400 euro pc play BF1?

I can get a PS4 for 250 new and it will play BF1 out of the box

I have a "gaming" pc and it struggles with BF1.

Maybe I might convince someone to buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Can your 400 euro pc play BF1?

I can get a PS4 for 250 new and it will play BF1 out of the box

A 2nd hand €400 PC would play BF1 at 1080p high settings 60fps no problems.

A PS4 or XB1 run the game at dynamic resolution, similar settings, at a significantly worse framerate (online, jumps all over the place from 20-60).

It's also easy to upgrade a PC. In a year or two's time, sell old card for €50, buy new budget card for €120 and continue playing at console/above console levels of visual quality.

The consoles are hamstringed by bad CPU's. An Intel i7 from 2009 is still superior to either console.

If you were on an ultra budget, an old i7-2600 machine can be had for €120 - bang in a GTX1050 2GB for €120 and viola, €240 and you have a machine that beats either console.

If your 'gaming pc' as you put it can't play BF1, then it's either a) not a gaming PC or b) there's a bad bottleneck in there somewhere like a good GPU with a crap processor or vice versa. This is the danger of buying pre-built's, what are often advertised as Gaming PC's are not that at all....but that's not the PC's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Op if you like I have an unused MATX case I will give you for free (it's been sitting around my office for a year now, accidental purchase), only thing is you need to pick it up - south Dublin, near nutgrove and Dundrum shopping centre. It's this one, think it's the white version but it's still in the box (I can open to check if you want) - https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/avp-hyperion-ev33b-cube-mini-tower-case/avp-ev33b.html

Otherwise, you can actually do a really good build for €500 right now. Two things will need to be second hand are the CPU and gpu. An I5 6400 for €100 and gtx 970 for €170 on eBay will fit in this budget - mine is 6600k and 970 (also bought second hand) and can run anything at more of less ultra 60fps. My CPU would be stronger than yours but not overly so since I rarely ever overclock it so you should at least be in a mix of high/ultra 1080p. I'm not 100% but have a memory that the 6500 was the best value for money of that gen, think it's only 10-20 more.

Also if you have any old hard drives knocking about old computers that are never used/broken (even friends, family or work if they're OK with it) so long as it is 7200rpm you can use that and save yourself a few extra euros.

One thing is I am not sure if the CPU will come with the cooler as it would from new. If not you can get an aftermarket one for €20-25ish. Also this case worked fine in the girlfriends build but your one is a good deal more powerful so there may or may not be a need for a case fan, again about $20-25. And if you want to splash a little, an RX 580 can be had for around €225 or so, it's 4gb model is only a little stronger than a 970 but just in case you wanted that new. I guess you could take out the SSD to fund one or both of the fans though I think it's very much worth getting both.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor (£100.00)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£34.55 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£60.17 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£26.39 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Seagate - Constellation ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£24.59 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£150.00)
    Power Supply: XFX - XT 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.93 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £431.63
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-21 13:22 BST+0100

£431.63 = €494.09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That's a bit of a wild exaggeration - my CPU is 3 years old, my GPU 4 years old and both play just about anything on 60fps ultra at 1080p which is miles ahead of a PS4; at worst to hit this I need to turn off GSync/VSync (doesn't matter since I'm on projector) and anti-aliasing. It was upper-mid tier at the time (i5 6600K, GTX 970), not some extravagant €2,000 monster of a thing. Meanwhile people are still getting solid gaming performances from i5 2400s... that they bought seven and a half years ago.

A console is a lot more hassle in my opinion, as your entire setup is at the mercy of when Sony simply decide to stop making games for it, while your new one that comes after it won't play the games you had before, meaning you cannot even offset the cost of the old one unless you want to throw your entire games library away.

Advertisement