Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out my home and studying abroad

Options
  • 15-06-2018 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Anyone know the tax implications of renting out my house and moving abroad to study?

Am I still liable to pay the usual PAYE, USC on the rent even though I will not be working for 12 months?

Thanks for input

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Anyone know the tax implications of renting out my house and moving abroad to study?

Am I still liable to pay the usual PAYE, USC on the rent even though I will not be working for 12 months?

Thanks for input

PAYE is not paid on rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Thanks for input

Income Tax, USC are still payable on profits. 80% of mortgage interest and other allowable expenses can be offset against rent received in arriving at the taxable profit. Once profit has been computed, then tax credits and allowances would come into play.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Anynameisgood

4ensic15 wrote: »
    PAYE is not paid on rent.

You will be subject to PAYE and USC on your rental “profits”

This is from a tax tips for LLs website

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Anynameisgood

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Income Tax, USC are still payable on profits. 80% of mortgage interest and other allowable expenses can be offset against rent received in arriving at the taxable profit. Once profit has been computed, then tax credits and allowances would come into play.

Only 75% of the interest portion of a mortgage repayment is allowed as a tax deduction against the rents received

This is from the same website

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You will be subject to PAYE and USC on your rental “profits”

This is from a tax tips for LLs website

You will be subject to income tax, not PAYE, which is simply a collection mechanism and not a tax. PAYE is collected by employers and remitted to the Revenue. A landlord in receipt of rental income does not have an employer to deduct PAYE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

You will have to pay tax, usc etc. and you will receive tax credits as normal. So most of the tax you pay (just as if you had a salary) will be 20% minus tax credits.

Advertisement