Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the Gardas turn a blind eye to drug use in Dublin ?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They are not comparible

Both are mind altering substances which can have negative effects on people who consume them. The only differences are one is illegal and other causes huge problems for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Dr Brown wrote: »
    If Junkies knew they were going to be arrested they would not be shooting up out in the open.

Yes they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I can only imagine what tourists must think when they see junkies shooting up right in the open.

If was a tourist and I saw that I wouldn't come back to Dublin.

Why not, exactly? By and large they don't bother anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

People in Dublin have far too much tolerance for Junkies. It seems to be the accepted notion that these are poor, craytors which are somehow the victims of a cruel uncaring society, at the mercy of an indifferent government. But these are individuals who are involved in criminality, anti-social behaviour, who tarnish the civic spaces. They cause massive hardship to their families, friends and to society as a whole. They help fuel the various criminal gangs and associated feuds; they are utterly selfish people. A tougher line should be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Should we do the same with alcoholics? Because I encounter far more problems with drunks then I do with people using drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Lux23 wrote: »
    Should we do the same with alcoholics? Because I encounter far more problems with drunks then I do with people using drugs.
    Ah feck off

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Which gets more attention from tourists, drunks or drug users?

Plenty of people are put off returning by feral drunks in Temple Bar / Harcourt / Camden streets. Public drunkeness laws are never ever enforced and neither are rules against licensees serving drunks - they just try limiting opening hours like that has ever worked

Absolutely if it's causing issues for the city and public in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Augme

Absolutely if it's causing issues for the city and public in general.

Alcohol causes far more issues for the city, public and society in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Augme wrote: »

In the context of the discussion in hand it doesn't, people drinking in public is not a problem to passers-by . People jabbing their veins with needles in the city centre in front of kids is a problem.

• Advertisement

True but that fact does not exonerate illegal drug use in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

I passed the Garden of Remembrance again today and saw more Junkies shooting up its getting as bad as the boardwalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Augme

In the context of the discussion in hand it doesn't, people drinking in public is not a problem to passers-by . People jabbing their veins with needles in the city centre in front of kids is a problem.

In what sense is it a problem? Yea it might look the most pleasant, but that's hardly a massive problem.

In what sense is it a problem? Yea it might look the most pleasant, but that's hardly a massive problem.

Leaving used needles on the ground is a major problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I passed the Garden of Remembrance again today and saw more Junkies shooting up its getting as bad as the boardwalk.

Clearly not that much of a bother to you if you're willing to check it out again.
    True but that fact does not exonerate illegal drug use in public.

So, your only issue is the legality of it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

You've never been in Temple Bar after hours if you believe that, People jabbing themselves tend not to threaten or abuse others.

Clearly not that much of a bother to you if you're willing to check it out again.

I happened to be walking by.

You've never been in Temple Bar after hours if you believe that, People jabbing themselves tend not to threaten or abuse others.

Not true a friend of mine had a syringe pulled on him when a group of Junkies tried to rob him.

Not true a friend of mine had a syringe pulled on him when a group of Junkies tried to rob him.
    I happened to be walking by.

My point entirely.

I said "tend not to", not "never did". I've been threatened with violence several times and once with a broken bottle by people out of their mind on alcohol. But I don't blame the guards for not cleaning the place up, nor do I want them locked up for five years. Nor do I go back to see if they're still there and still threatening.

So, your only issue is the legality of it?

That's a very obtuse interpretation of what I wrote. My issue is with the criminality associated with it. Why are you so eager to defend people who obviously have no respect for our shared public spaces and society as a whole?

• Advertisement

That's a very obtuse interpretation of what I wrote. My issue is with the criminality associated with it. Why are you so eager to defend people who obviously have no respect for our shared public spaces and society as a whole?

Fair point, but if the drug is illegal, everyone who uses it is a criminal. I know what you mean, though, with regard to drugs. In any case, decriminalising it would do away with the drug gangs. It's a problem that needs to be delt with, not pushed away.

I'm defending people who have an illness and are being threatened with jail for being sick, not what they do or where they do it.

And what did you do about it?

Fair point, but if the drug is illegal, everyone who uses it is a criminal. I know what you mean, though, with regard to drugs. In any case, decriminalising it would do away with the drug gangs. It's a problem that needs to be delt with, not pushed away.

I'm defending people who have an illness and are being threatened with jail for being sick, not what they do or where they do it.

The criminality I refer to is not so much taking the drugs themselves but rather the muggings, robbery, anti-social bahaviour and degrading/damaging the public realm which is offen the consequence of doing so. And it it these actions, again rather than the taking of any illicit substance, that should cause them to be jailed.

Addicition is a serious affliction but it cannot excuse such behaviour nor can it absolve the person of responsibility or punishment.

And what did you do about it?

What should I have done ?

I'm not a vigilante.

The criminality I refer to is not so much taking the drugs themselves but rather the muggings, robbery, anti-social bahaviour and degrading/damaging the public realm which is offen the consequence of doing so. And it it these actions, again rather than the taking of any illicit substance, that should cause them to be jailed.

Addicition is a serious affliction but it cannot excuse such behaviour nor can it absolve the person of responsibility or punishment.

Depends on the behaviour. If it's the stuff in your paragraph, then yes. But you're not penalising heroin abuse, you're penalising mugging, robbery, etc. etc.

If it's shooting up in public, then simply criminalising or threatening the user is a waste of time and helps no one.

I'm not a vigilante.

Reported it to the Gardai? Asked them what their policy was on it? Might not have done anything for the Garden, fair enough, but it would have at least answered the question in your title.

Depends on the behaviour. If it's the stuff in your paragraph, then yes. But you're not penalising heroin abuse, you're penalising mugging, robbery, etc. etc.

If it's shooting up in public, then simply criminalising or threatening the user is a waste of time and helps no one.

Reported it to the Gardai? Asked them what their policy was on it? Might not have done anything for the Garden, fair enough, but it would have at least answered the question in your title.

The Garda's know full well whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's Gardai or colloquially "The Guards". Never Gardas for Christ sake.

The Garda's know full well whats going on.

That shouldn't stop you from reporting. Or asking about their policy.

If people complain enough they'll act. If they don't, they won't. Nothing comes from nothing.

I'm not a vigilante.

Call the Guards, maybe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement