Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How your farm animals are raised

Options

Comments

This is how easy it is to receive the Queens honour for work on pig welfare.

This is how the very intelligent and highly sociable pig makes it on to your plate -

https://youtu.be/zbiUrDklfIA

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lady Haywire those kind of comments are not welcome and are childish.

klopparama I'm going to need far more detailed posts from you if you stick up a link as this is not sustainable, with discuss something you post in depth or do not post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What’s the background and details to that video?

This is how easy it is to receive the Queens honour for work on pig welfare.

This is how the very intelligent and highly sociable pig makes it on to your plate -

https://youtu.be/zbiUrDklfIA

What do you see as the major issues in that vid? I’m curious to know your view on animal welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KingNerolives

The vast majority of Irish farmers treat their animals with utmost care often at the expense of a profit margin to keep them healthy.

• Advertisement

Does the Irish consumer know what country their meat comes from ?

Is it very transparent because I’m finding it difficult to find easy-to-read tables on what is exported and what is imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Is it very transparent because I’m finding it difficult to find easy-to-read tables on what is exported and what is imported.

Yes, if the consumer is literate they read the label on the package.

Exports, this is one table I found with a quick Google

https://www.teagasc.ie/rural-economy/rural-economy/agri-food-business/agriculture-in-ireland/

While this download shows the areas imports are sourced

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.safefood.eu/SafeFood/media/SafeFoodLibrary/Documents/Publications/Research%2520Reports/Where-does-our-food-come-from_-Booklet.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwikyKjYlKbcAhXMDcAKHf7fBKEQFjAIegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1N--0R5G9SDFKFxjzq4CFJ

If you want to be 100% sure you’re buying Irish meat look for the bord bia sign with the Irish flag beneath

QAS-logo.gif

Nekarsulm wrote: »

One of those not the easiest to read.

Know I have read somewhere about Ireland being a net exporter of meat and also reading a list of where it imported meat from

I see meat is imported from Thailand, Brazil, Argentina and USA so farming practises and regulations from those countries should be of concern to Irish consumers.

Don’t think it’s about being literate either. I think I remember reading that meat sold in catering, like delis, hotels, takeaways, restaurants and so on do not have to label what country they come from.

Still can’t find an easy-to-read table of what meat is exported and to where. And what is imported and from where.

A lot of people I’m talking to believe all their meat is Irish. They are finding it hard to believe it’s imported from countries like Thailand and Brazil.

I see meat is imported from Thailand, Brazil, Argentina and USA so farming practises and regulations from those countries should be of concern to Irish consumers.

A lot of people I’m talking to believe all their meat is Irish. They are finding it hard to believe it’s imported from countries like Thailand and Brazil.

Jeeze, you're well behind the curve if you are only discovering now that there are imports from Thailand, Brazil etc.
    All those cheap chickens you see for sale at 5 euro, I wager are from Thailand and other Far Eastern countries. They don't need the insulated housing and gas heating and ventilation systems we need in this country, due to the temperate climate out there.
    Possibly feed ingredients and composition is less regulated as well.
    All those King Prawns etc come from out there too.

Its long been a bone of contention with Irish farmers that they are held to the highest standards of husbandry and certification and inspection while S.Americian beef can be produced to a lesser standard of accountability and tracability.

And don't start with the USA beef and its universal use of Growth Promoters. Chemicals which were banned here in Ireland in 1986 (or 1987, I cant quite remember)

But the consumer wont pay 8 euro for an Irish chicken when the 5 euro one is on the shelf beside it.

• Advertisement

Jeeze, you're well behind the curve if you are only discovering now that there are imports from Thailand, Brazil etc.
    All those cheap chickens you see for sale at 5 euro, I wager are from Thailand and other Far Eastern countries. They don't need the insulated housing and gas heating and ventilation systems we need in this country, due to the temperate climate out there.
    Possibly feed ingredients and composition is less regulated as well.
    All those King Prawns etc come from out there too.

Its long been a bone of contention with Irish farmers that they are held to the highest standards of husbandry and certification and inspection while S.Americian beef can be produced to a lesser standard of accountability and tracability.

And don't start with the USA beef and its universal use of Growth Promoters. Chemicals which were banned here in Ireland in 1986 (or 1987, I cant quite remember)

But the consumer wont pay 8 euro for an Irish chicken when the 5 euro one is on the shelf beside it.

I hadn’t a clue until recently so I’m guessing your average Irish consumer won’t know either.

So are you saying that beef is sold in Ireland using growth promoters that Irish farmers aren’t allowed to use ?

Id say everyone who has the slightest interest in what they eat knows these facts, and anyone who reads any newspaper of note, watches any current affairs programmes or has progressed on from Hannah Montana and Bratz dolls!

Plus of course the 9% of the workforce directly employed in the food sector.

Id say everyone who has the slightest interest in what they eat knows these facts, and anyone who reads any newspaper of note, watches any current affairs programmes or has progressed on from Hannah Montana and Bratz dolls!

Plus of course the 9% of the workforce directly employed in the food sector.

Well I’ve no idea why people bang on about Irish farm animals having the life of Riley if they’re being exported and the Irish consumer is eating meat from abroad.

So international footage of animal cruelty, in farming, is relevant to the Irish consumer.

I hadn’t a clue until recently so I’m guessing your average Irish consumer won’t know either.

So are you saying that beef is sold in Ireland using growth promoters that Irish farmers aren’t allowed to use ?

The US are quiet pissed off that the EU won’t let in their poorer standand beef even though they’ve open the door to our high quality stuff.
    I know I’m canada there are farms that produce eu standard beef and they call it that showing the high regard our product is held

If it comes from the USA, of course.

For example.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/news/stephen-cadogan-american-move-on-growth-promoter-beef-leaves-sour-taste-439716.html

Why do you think McDonald's here make such a big deal about "100% Irish beef"?

South America banned GPs in 1991 to allow them access to European markets, but their traceability and other record keeping lags far behind the standards EU farmers must adhere to.

So international footage of animal cruelty, in farming, is relevant to the Irish consumer.

Not when you post them in an effort to blacken the reputation of Irish and EU farmers, then blank any discussion about their origin or content.
    And if you only discovered today that we import food from abroad ( where do you think figs and dates and pineapples etc come from, by the way?) why have you been posting videos on this thread for months?

Not when you post them in an effort to blacken the reputation of Irish and EU farmers, then blank any discussion about their origin or content.
    And if you only discovered today that we import food from abroad ( where do you think figs and dates and pineapples etc come from, by the way?) why have you been posting videos on this thread for months?

Blacken the reputation of Irish farmers ?

Not my intention at all.

Showing video footage of farming reality is what I’m trying for. Hard to deny something that you can see for yourself in a video.

This isn’t the farming forum. This is the vegetarian and vegan forum.

I was going to include bananas, but I've been in greenhouses in Crete where they were growing them.
    I worked for a year in a fruit and veg distributer, and the one thing that genuinely surprised me were Mangetout, air lifted in from Kenya.

Not my intention at all.

Showing video footage of farming reality is what I’m trying for. Hard to deny something that you can see for yourself in a video.

Well then, what has dairy and beef videos got to do with Veganisn or Vegetarianism?
    Its a bit like the Atheist and Agnostic forum here on Boards, who seem to discuss Christianity and other religions above all other subjects.

Would an Alcoholics Annonymous Forum be likely to be posting videos on distilling techniques?

Well then, what has dairy and beef videos got to do with Veganisn or Vegetarianism?
    Its a bit like the Atheist and Agnostic forum here on Boards, who seem to discuss Christianity and other religions above all other subjects.

Would an Alcoholics Forum be likely to be posting videos on distilling techniques?

It’s not complicated. If people get to see the pain and suffering caused by paying for animals to be raised and slaughtered for their pleasure they may stop and think about it.

I know lots and lots of people that flat out refuse to watch anything on animals raised for food. That tells me a lot. Ignorance is bliss and some don’t want to face the hard truth of the suffering they pay others to carry out for them.

Seeing as choosing not to imprison, torture and slaughter animals is a choice vegan and vegetarians make then I think it is relevant to discuss dairy and farming. I think you are being a tad facetious.

• Advertisement

It’s not complicated. If people get to see the pain and suffering caused by paying for animals to be raised and slaughtered for their pleasure they may stop and think about it.

I know lots and lots of people that flat out refuse to watch anything on animals raised for food. That tells me a lot. Ignorance is bliss and some don’t want to face the hard truth of the suffering they pay others to carry out for them.

Seeing as choosing not to imprison, torture and slaughter animals is a choice vegan and vegetarians make then I think it is relevant to discuss dairy and farming. I think you are being a tad facetious.

I’m all for educating people about where food comes from as I reckon it gives them a greater appreciation of the food they eat. And as you said yourself you were ignorant of where your meat came from until you watched a kids programme.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Good few posts deleted there, keep it on topic and do not talk about other posters. Give your opinions in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not my intention at all.

Isn't largely whataboutery then? If you really wish to raise issue relevant to food importation and to educate like minded individuals as to harm caused by all food production relevant to vegans and veganism, then it would be helpful imo to also include the death and destruction of ecosystems and aninals caused by the demand for cheap imported foods such as almonds, soya products palm oil etc etc.

I see a selection of 'video footage of farming' (your words) and a bunch of speculative posts with little if any detail and posts with links to 'animal' farming but nothing else ...

:confused:

Well I’ve no idea why people bang on about Irish farm animals having the life of Riley if they’re being exported and the Irish consumer is eating meat from abroad.

What has Irish farm animals care got to do with whether their meat is eaten here or abroad?
    We look after then as best as humanly possible while they are alive, and anyway it's impossible to eat them all here.
    We are about 500% self sufficient in beef .
    I wholeheartedly agree that we should only import meat from ethically cared for animals.

I would be very interested to see any videos you have of Irish farmers Torturing animals.

torture is defined as "infliction of intense pain (from burning, crushing or wounding) to punish, coerce or afford sadistic pleasure"

I would demand that you bring all such evidence straight to the Gardaí and the Dept. of Agriculture at once.

regards, Nek.

Would be really nice as humans if we could move past the need for meat and stop treating intelligent animals like this -

https://youtu.be/KV94VVG2MEE

Bit of a positive feedback loop you have going there!

But as an aside, Klopp, your surprise at meat imports seem to be a repeat of your surprise from a month ago in another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Would be really nice as humans if we could move past the need for meat and stop treating intelligent animals like this -

Don't like eating meat at present? Fine - just forget about pushing a belief system based on the premise of 'intelligence' - all organisms whether animal and vegetable have varying degrees of 'intelligence' something some vegans choose to ignore. Should we just eat the stupid ones? Sounds very like discrimination based on IQ ...

Animals eat other animals and have done since the dawn of time. Meat eating is an essential form of entrophy or recycling of nutrients. Leaving aside the sensationalism of some who would wish to keep all animals in 'sanctuaries' like the maudlin person in that video - there is no ignoring the basics of entrophy - regardless of sentiment or lifestyle choice ...

I’m not pushing anything.

Just talking with like minded people who agree we are living in a world where eating meat is a choice.

Choosing not to eat meat gives great peace of mind. It’s amazing how great it feels not to be involved in all that pain and suffering.

Why kind of madman would judge a wild animal for eating another wild animal ? Is that your aspiration ? Sure a level of rape looks to be common in the wild. Are you comparing yourself to wild animals in this regard too ? Is a bit of rape ok ? Is killing the young of a rival ok ? Why foolishly compare yourself to animals that need to kill to survive when we don’t.

Bizarre really.

And that’s the point here. Ultimately what we eat is a choice. The more people realise the impact on innocent animals for their food choice the less it seems they want to partake.

Again, it’s jaw dropping the amount of people who categorically won’t watch any video to do with the production of meat or dairy. Choosing ignorance is the only way some can continue to consume either.

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    What do you see as the major issues in that vid? I’m curious to know your view on animal welfare

want to answer that question about your most recent vid?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement