Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cleaning livery

Options
  • 16-06-2018 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭

Our Rimor has this light blue livery/design on the sides, not sure if it's paint or sticker or whatever, it looks half porous and every splash or water run from rain marks on it.
    As a result it looks very light blue in places, then more faded and less blue in others... you can just see every streak and every splash.

I'd love a home tip or remedy to clean it, any suggestions ?

I have tried a black streak remover spray, and other (caravan) cleaning products without success.
    Thanks
    look at the blue strip on this, that's what I'm on about.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/QrYAAOSw4CFY3gCU/$_86.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 B.I.O.Y.H.

We had something similar previously. The livery or decals are generally just a type of stick on plastic that fades with the sun.

Having put it off for ages, I finally ordered some replacements from a sign maker to match the existing, removed the old with the help of a hairdryer. To help with the application i had a spray bottle of water with a small bit of dish washing liquid mixed in (this allows you to move the sticker into the right position before it sticks) and credit card sized piece of hard plastic to remove the water and any air bubbles. Much easier than I had expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

Hi BIOYH. Was it a simple design for the sign maker to replicate? I am just wondering, as ours is a mix of small swirls, circles, etc and probably not easy to replicate. Also, I assume when you removed the original, the shape was visible on the body? I would consider just removing some of the smaller decals and not replacing them, if I thought the body colours would match, but I assume there will be differences in fading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 B.I.O.Y.H.

Ours was like a very large 2 nike swoosh's, and there were also some straight thinner lines.

There are a few companies doing campervan decals and stickers who claim to be able to replicate any design.

The GRP under the old decals had not faded compared to the rest of the van, so you could see the lines where the old ones had been, but it wasn't that obvious. If the fibreglass has been well minded there may not be as much fading and it not be visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Our Rimor has this light blue livery/design on the sides, not sure if it's paint or sticker or whatever, it looks half porous and every splash or water run from rain marks on it.
    As a result it looks very light blue in places, then more faded and less blue in others... you can just see every streak and every splash.

I'd love a home tip or remedy to clean it, any suggestions ?

I have tried a black streak remover spray, and other (caravan) cleaning products without success.
    Thanks
    look at the blue strip on this, that's what I'm on about.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/QrYAAOSw4CFY3gCU/$_86.JPG

You could try autoglym bumper gel should be enough to get the other half looking at the scenery rather than the trim.

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/wheel-tyre-cleaning/autoglym-bumper-and-trim-gel-325ml

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

You could try autoglym bumper gel should be enough to get the other half looking at the scenery rather than the trim.

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/wheel-tyre-cleaning/autoglym-bumper-and-trim-gel-325ml

Thanks autumnalcore, that looks like it might do the job ! I think it's not a sticker, it's just a textured area/paint. But I can't be sure, and since it's edged with a standard sticker line that's still in acceptable condition, I don't want to be peeling that just to peep under.

All the other standard stickers are alright, they don't really need replacing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Thanks autumnalcore, that looks like it might do the job ! I think it's not a sticker, it's just a textured area/paint. But I can't be sure, and since it's edged with a standard sticker line that's still in acceptable condition, I don't want to be peeling that just to peep under.

All the other standard stickers are alright, they don't really need replacing.

If its paint a decent polish should deepen the colour and last at least until the winter.

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/autoglym-super-resin-polish-1-litre

P.S. I've tried tons of wax, polymer, silicon products over the last 10 years years to deal with sunscreen handprints on all our cars in the end someone suggested wood silk polish, had some anyway so gave it a go - its not durable but 30 second wipe makes most of the handprints disappear so takes about 1/20th of the time to apply and lasts about 1/5 - 1/2 the time of expensive waxes depending on the weather. So the farecla, meguiars, simoniz and autoglym stay in the shed now and the wood silk stays in the door pocket.

Advertisement