Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 month old not hitting milestones.

Options
  • 16-06-2018 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I have an almost 12 month old boy and he’s really not hitting many of his milestones. He can say mama, dada, baba but doesn’t point, clap hands or waves (he sort of flaps his hands for the latter two!) He is a very strong sitter from about 6 months, but isn’t crawling, bum shuffling or cruising. He can kind of walk wobbly when I’m holding both hands, but truthfully I’m probably taking all his weight. He also can’t pull himself to sitting or standing.

For months I’ve been telling myself that boys are a bit slower than girls with these things and that I don’t get as much time to spend with him as my daughter, but I think the time has come to get him checked out. I’m not overly keen on my PHN, she’s knew and I felt the last time I saw her she was quite dismissive and box ticking. Would going to my GP be an idea? It should I go back to the PHN and ask to be referred on? Any advice on games I can play with him to encourage his development more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

All kids are different. Our second didn't walk till he was 1 1/2 or talk till he was 2 1/2.
    He understood everything in 2 languages.

Talk to your GP if your concerned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well......, he's not 12 months.Why are you walking him if he can't walk yet?Do you give him a lot of free time on the floor?
    To be honest, there doesn't seem to be anything there that sounds too alarming.What milestones are you referring to, because I think they are very much a guideline.My first crawled at 10mths, walked at 14, my second crawled at 7 mths but didn't walk til 16 (girls).I know boys who didn't crawl til later and were slower to walk.First never really clapped hands.Second did.
    Maybe sit and roll a ball to and fro to him or things like that?mostly i'd just give him loads of floor time and space to do it himself, and maybe then if he's showing no interest, go to your GP??

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

That sounds a lot like my little boy when he was 1. He wasn't walking, or crawling and I was really worried about him. He is nearly two now and walking fine, and sometimes still shuffles on his bum. He never really took to crawling. He can do it, but he doesn't like it. Neither my PHN or GP felt there was a problem with him, just (as others have said here) that kids progress at their own rate.

If it is causing you anxiety then get him checked out, but it is probably all within the normal paramators for development.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks guys, I don’t mind the not walking or crawling so much, my first never crawled and didn’t walk til 15/16 months. It’s just combined with the other motor skills like not waving, clapping, pulling himself up etc that has me a bit worried.

When I say I walk him, I just encourage him to take a few steps while holding my hands, I think he needs to strengthen his legs a bit. He does get lots of floor time, but ends up on his belly and getting frustrated. I’ll keep working with him and try and get an app with my PHN and see if she can refer me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Milestones are measured within a range so no one specific timeline he needs to do x y z by
    But you have concerns so appt is no harm but be aware it will possibly be a wait & see result and come back if he isn't doing x y or z by whenever
    I was quickly the mark to self refer my youngest for a speech delay but then there's a family history of a very specific delay that requires intervention. I was very much getting the "range" spiel till I explicitly explained the family history and we were quick to get referrals then (getting the actual appointments of course was an entirely different story)
    One tip I will give is get him health ins if he doesn't have it already as it currently isn't a pre existing condition as nothing has been officially flagged yet

• Advertisement
Advertisement