Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ali Foreman rematch

Options
  • 16-06-2018 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭

Before Foreman found god it kind of amazing that there never was a rematch from the Rumble in the Jungle.. Any reasons or just avoiding punishment after the last of his Frazier trilogy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There is no definitive answer to that...

But you can bet the aging Ali had no desire to get back in the ring with the man who probably did more physical damage to him in one fight than any other man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

walshb wrote: »
    There is no definitive answer to that...

But you can bet the aging Ali had no desire to get back in the ring with the man who probably did more physical damage to him in one fight than any other man.

Is it true that many experts claim that the boxer that did most damage to Ali was Ernie Shavers, and that Angelo Dundee totally ruled out a rematch.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ernie could certainly dig! Ali himself said he was the hardest puncher. Ever see when he ko’ed jimmy Ellis? Jimmy didn’t know what day it was. Cumbersome and limited but sledgehammer power

washman3 wrote: »
    Is it true that many experts claim that the boxer that did most damage to Ali was Ernie Shavers, and that Angelo Dundee totally ruled out a rematch.?

I never read or heard the Shavers claim..

As for Dundee ruling out Foreman rematch? He may have had input, but Ali was very much his own man... so, if the rematch was or was not happening it was really down to Ali..

Dundee had some influence, but not as much as people might think.

Ruling out a Shavers rematch I meant to say.
    Ya, agree Ali was very much his own man.

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    Ruling out a Shavers rematch I meant to say.
    Ya, agree Ali was very much his own man.

Well, Shavers and Ali fought twice.

Sorry. Once..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Had Foreman more power than any heavyweight before or since?

Ya, only once.
    Saw Shavers on a boxing documentary lately and he looks remarkably good for a heavyweight from that era. About 75 years of age now.

I saw the Foreman new film. Very good , Holyfield doesn't not look like boxing has helped him (speech slurred)

thesultan wrote: »
    Had Foreman more power than any heavyweight before or since?

Clubbing power, most likely.

• Advertisement

Like could anyone give Frazier a beating like he did???

Like could anyone give Frazier a beating like he did???

Gave him a beating, but didn’t knock him out in two fights..

I saw the Foreman new film. Very good , Holyfield doesn't not look like boxing has helped him (speech slurred)

Several YouTube vids of him and Bowe together. My god, both very punchy!

Advertisement