Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are all men stronger than all women?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm pretty sure that Serena Williams is stronger than me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

somefeen wrote: »
    Im actually astonished at some of the stories here of lads losing arm wrestles and being out wrestled by women. Unless they are trained athletes or something. Wanna get checked out lads. Although I am 100kg + so maybe a 65/70kg man could be beaten by a strong woman I don't know. Most of my rugby team I mentioned would be 85kg and up I'd say

I wonder does arm wrestling use a very specific set of muscles that aren't used much?
    I once beat a fella at arm wrestling who was 6 foot 6 and about twice my weight.

Baffled completely but I believe you. Maybe some men have just never developed strength. My friends would be generally rugby and gaa players, well most of us finished or coming to a finish, and so would have been active all our lives some of us supplementing it with specific weight training. And physical jobs at least when we were younger.
    Although that said I do have a friend who is a Garda and long distance runner and he was saying he struggled to do some physical test for recruits recently, think it was lift around 20kg overhead or something. Since he started running he has lost any muscle mass he had.
    It's not that women are strong that surprises me it's that some men are so weak. I suppose muscle and strength is a use it or lose it gift. Like cardio fitness, mine is gone to the dogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

By all accounts Chyna when in the WWE was tougher than some men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Men that are making a case for some women being stronger are simply white knighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Men that are making a case for some women being stronger are simply white knighting.

I know a couple of women that would put most men to shame, physically, astonishing focus and attention to their physical training

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I know a couple of women that would put most men to shame, physically, astonishing focus and attention to their physical training

By what measure would they put them to shame?

By what measure would they put them to shame?

My Pilates instructor comes to mind, she has incredible strength and flexibility, she's been on her physical exercise journey most of her life, and it shows, she looks incredible, but most importantly, her mind is strong and very positive. Many people, including men, could learn a lot from such an approach to life

I also remember a time messing with a tug of war rope and 2 of us big guys about 200kg between us beat 4 ladies who I'll guess were 65-70kg each. It was tough enough though. From this thread I'd say there is as big a gap between what would be seen as a strong man and a weak man as the gap between women and weaker men. I've played with and against some smaller men who packed a huge amount of power so it's not just about size and weight.
    Actually there most certainly is when I think of our gym work. I know men that can't bench press 50kg and I know plenty of men that are up as far as 140-150kg.
    That's a big gap. I've seen lots of women benching 50kg or thereabouts so I'd say there are some women stronger than some men now that I think.of it. It would kill me to be beaten in a strength event by a woman to be honest!! Anything else fine, but not physical strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

somefeen wrote: »
    I wonder does arm wrestling use a very specific set of muscles that aren't used much?
    I once beat a fella at arm wrestling who was 6 foot 6 and about twice my weight.

Does one of your arms have significantly more-developed muscles than the other one? i.e. one looks like Popeye's arm and the other looks like the leg of a small stool?

It might happen that you are spending too long doing some repetitive action over and over again with that same arm...................................maybe you should try it with your left hand next time? Might also feel like someone else is doing it

:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Vast majority of women, athlete or not, are going to be hard pressed to overpower a reasonably active healthy average height man. If she is a trained fighter with superior technique, then that changes things, but the guy will still have a size and strength advantage.

Men are physically larger, have increased bone density, more muscle mass, lower body fat, more blood and haemoglobin, pelvis that isn't compromised structurally for childbirth, relatively larger lungs and heart.

Pugzilla wrote:
    Vast majority of women, athlete or not, are going to be hard pressed to overpower a reasonably active healthy average height man. If she is a trained fighter with superior technique, then that a changes things, but the guy will still have a size and strength advantage.

All of course could be true, but never underestimate the power of a positive mind, I do know a couple of women though that have exceptional physical strength, they'd be able to compete against most men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What I posted is not white knighting; it's simple fact.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What I posted is not white knighting; it's simple fact.

A 6'4" woman is freakishly big. Even a 6' woman is rare enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Pugzilla wrote: »
    A 6'4" woman is freakishly big. Even a 6' woman is rare enough.

All you need is one counterexample to the stupidity in the thread title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.
    It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward

Pugzilla wrote:
    Vast majority of women, athlete or not, are going to be hard pressed to overpower a reasonably active healthy average height man. If she is a trained fighter with superior technique, then that a changes things, but the guy will still have a size and strength advantage.

All of course could be true, but never underestimate the power of a positive mind, I do know a couple of women though that have exceptional physical strength, they'd be able to compete against most men

Compete in what? Genuine question not a dig against your claim at all.

What has the power of the positive mind got to do with a comparison of the genders?

What has the power of the positive mind got to do with a comparison of the genders?

men can learn a lot from having a more positive frame of mind of which some women have

• Advertisement

men can learn a lot from having a more positive frame of mind of which some women have

Women can learn a lot from having a more positive frame of mind of which some men have.

Women can learn a lot from having a more positive frame of mind of which some men have.

absolutely, comparing sexes is futile, the world requires both sexes equally in order to thrive

absolutely, comparing sexes is futile, the world requires both sexes equally in order to thrive

Yeah whatever, not relevant to the debate.

I'd imagine there might be something like a 5% to 15% intersection here.

Take midpoint of 10% which means top 10% of women would be stronger than bottom 10% of men.

Ignoring elite strength athletes here just your run of the mill males and females.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Vast majority of women, athlete or not, are going to be hard pressed to overpower a reasonably active healthy average height man. If she is a trained fighter with superior technique, then that changes things, but the guy will still have a size and strength advantage.

Men are physically larger, have increased bone density, more muscle mass, lower body fat, more blood and haemoglobin, pelvis that isn't compromised structurally for childbirth, relatively larger lungs and heart.

Yes, but if you have a quick look at the thread title you may notice that this it not about majorities or averages.
    The question was if ALL men - every single last one of them, are stronger than all women, any one of them.

It's a question that kind of answers itself, as I know I can lift heavier weights than my husband for example. But then, he had a heart attack and I didn't.

Comparing the guys and girls sitting at the top of their respective bell curves would of course lead to the answer that on average, men are physically stronger than women. But we're not comparing the middle of the bell curve, we're comparing the "weak outlier" end of the male one with the "strong outlier" one of the female.

I'd imagine there might be something like a 5% to 15% intersection here.

Take midpoint of 10% which means top 10% of women would be stronger than bottom 10% of men.

Ignoring elite strength athletes here just your run of the mill males and females.

That’s along the lines of where I think the bell curves would cross also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Mentally.......yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OrangeBadger

But what about ladyboy?????

I'm gonna arm wrestle the woman when she comes back in for the name of science. Will post results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

There is evidence, when comparing old clothes to modern clothes worn by men and women to the modern equivalent that women are getting bigger physically and also getting stronger.

In the olden days most women were treated like delicate ornamental objects and not allowed to overexert themselves in physical activities like sports and work.

There was a huge gap between middle and upper class men and middle and upper class women.

The gap between lower class men and women was not as wide as everyone was expected to work for the keep. Tragically men were better fed in this class and the women often went low on food to feed the babies etc.

The relative sizes of both genders have got closer together but the body mass and bone density and percentage of muscle still favours men.

Now that most jobs and roles are mechanised and automated, having big muscles and faster reflexes is no longer as important in work or warfare that it used to be.In many roles it no longer matters.

Many nations such as Soviet Russia and Israel have employed women in traditional male roles effectively for ages. The refusal of the nazis to employ women at all in anything but traditional roles like nurses and secretaries cut their capabilities drastically. The Brits and the Yanks has women in factories and engineering and transport roles which also helped hugely. This was rare in all axis countries, even more so in Japan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement