Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a weed killer

Options
  • 16-06-2018 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, have a small garden half stones half patio, there are a few small weeds coming through the stones this year (shallow roots as there is a membrane below) and the usual weeds coming between the slabs, we’re away for a week soon and I thought we could spray it whilst there will be no dog around, looking for a recommendation for an easily got weed killer and possibly someone to tell me if this is even the right way to go. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

salmocab wrote: »
    Hey folks, have a small garden half stones half patio, there are a few small weeds coming through the stones this year (shallow roots as there is a membrane below) and the usual weeds coming between the slabs, we’re away for a week soon and I thought we could spray it whilst there will be no dog around, looking for a recommendation for an easily got weed killer and possibly someone to tell me if this is even the right way to go. Cheers

Boil a kettle. Pour it on the weeds. Simple as. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

salmocab wrote: »

Get a carton of salt in Lidl/Aldi for 49c and give it a good sprinkle on any weeds/growth you want to kill.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

another alternative is a gas torch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Most if not all if the above suggestions are good for annuals... For perennial weeds, not so much... If its perennials that are the problem, you'll probably have to do repeated appliications. Above all, don't let anything go to seed, or your problems will get massively worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you've a membrane below just pull them out by hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

1 litre Vinegar
    120ml Salt
    Squirt of Washing Up Liquid

Mix vinegar & salt in a spray bottle, add a squirt of washing up liquid, shake it up and you are good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Ms2011 wrote: »
    1 litre Vinegar
    120ml Salt
    Squirt of Washing Up Liquid

Mix vinegar & salt in a spray bottle, add a squirt of washing up liquid, shake it up and you are good to go.

Some ppl recommend that you increase the acidic concentration of the vinegar component by reduction through boiling off some of the water. Generally, white vinegar will be 4-5% acetic acid by volume which will increase to 8-9% if you reduce the vinegar volume by 50% as the bulk of the steam generated will be water vapour. Do it in a stained large saucepan, particularly stainless steel, and you will have a much cleaner saucepan as a result. It will release some acid into the air so don't breathe it in too deeply or you'll feel it in the back of your nose...

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

another alternative is a gas torch.
    Fine for the paved area, but likely to damage the membrane under the gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Some ppl recommend that you increase the acidic concentration of the vinegar component by reduction through boiling off some of the water. Generally, white vinegar will be 4-5% acetic acid by volume which will increase to 8-9% if you reduce the vinegar volume by 50% as the bulk of the steam generated will be water vapour. Do it in a stained large saucepan, particularly stainless steel, and you will have a much cleaner saucepan as a result. It will release some acid into the air so don't breathe it in too deeply or you'll feel it in the back of your nose...
    Hmmm! ... a balsamic reduction.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Roundup or Gallup which is the same ingredients but cheaper.gallup is 20e for a bottle.one shot of Gallup mixed in a budget and it will see you out until September and another shot then.dont worry about the dog.lock him in while you are spraying and keep him in for 1 hour after and hel be fine.we use it here all the time with dogs and we do this no hassle.only danger is if he got the bottle and ate it.keep it locked away.
    That bottle would do you a year or 2 if area isn’t massive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

TomOnBoard wrote: »

FWIW some of the 'polski sklep' sell higher concentrations ( 10% & 25% come to mind ).

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

garbanzo wrote: »
    Boil a kettle. Pour it on the weeds. Simple as. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Works well. I use the water after boiling / steaming veg.:)

Advertisement