Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions regarding QQI-FET and Myself

Options
  • 16-06-2018 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello. My name is Dmitriy. I am not fully aware of how QQI-FET works, so I am wondering if someone could help clarify some things.

I am currently sitting my leaving certificate. My first option is UCD Computer Science which is 476 points. I believe I am sitting between 468 - 490 points. Hopefully it doesn't rise to 485 again which happened in 2016. Other years from 2011 to 2015 it was 470 points.

My point is, there is obviously always a chance it rises and I get the lower prediction of my points. I am only 16, so I am ok with doing a PLC. I just don't understand entirely how it works.

UCD Computer Science (DN201) says they accept QQI-FET Entry Routes,
    UCD wrote:
    Entry to first year Computer Science (DN201) is available on a competitive basis to students who have attained the relevant awards with the required modules
    UCD state they offer 10 places and the minimum QQI-FET points are 390. (for Computer Science)

They have requirements within QQI-FET for Computer Science. I am looking towards the Award B, 5M0529 Software Development.

I live in Wicklow, so if I don't get into UCD this year through LC route, I hope to do it through PLC route in either to do it in either Bray Institute of Further Education or furthest at Dun Laoghaire Further Education Institute. Both offer 5M0529 Software Development.

On the list of required modules UCD require modules needed from Software Development, both institutes seem to have them. Although, Bray does not list their exact codes, only the module names. Dun Laoghaire includes the codes as well.

My question is, UCD requires 390 QQI-FET points. Can you help me understand how 390 points is calculated? From my current understanding,
    • I do 9 modules, where 8 of my best are calculated
    • These 8 modules are worth 15 credits, and they are multiplied by 3 (if 8 of them are distinctions), which is 360
    • Then this figure is multiplied by 13, which is 4680, and then divided by 12 to give the final point result of 390.
    If this is correct please confirm as I find it more confusing then the simple Leaving Certificate Points calculator.

Also, there are only 10 placements for QQI-FET applicants, yet when I called UCD, they said it has never gone into random selection. Does this mean everyone who had 390 points got in without question?

Also, is it hard to get 390 points in PLC? I have done practical subjects (Construction / Design Communication Graphics / Technology) which I presented high quality projects early. I also don't think I am dumb and that I would be capable of achieving high marks in written examinations, especially since Software Development is in my field of interest. Is it much harder than higher level leaving certificate exams?

Also from the information I gave, am I misunderstanding anything or am I correct in thinking that I can progress from 5M0529 Software Development to DN201 UCD Computer Science?

I also want to apply to the two earlier mentioned institutes now. When I called Bray they told me I would need to attend an interview on 23rd August, which is fine by me as I can present a strong leaving certificate and portfolio in the field of software development I done in the past. But if I get to UCD this August, can I call them and cancel my interview with a PLC institute?

Or otherwise, if in August I actually accept my second offer of DIT Computer Science, but then decide I want to do the PLC instead, in order to give myself another shot of getting to UCD, can I then call DIT and cancel my Level 8 and do my QQI-FET instead?

Final question, can I apply to more than one PLC (i.e Bray and Dun Laoghaire) to make sure I get a PLC?

Thanks in advance to anyone who read it all, I know it's a lot.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I can't answer them all, but here are some responses:
    Dmi3 wrote: »

Also, is it hard to get 390 points in PLC? I have done practical subjects (Construction / Design Communication Graphics / Technology) which I presented high quality projects early. I also don't think I am dumb and that I would be capable of achieving high marks in written examinations, especially since Software Development is in my field of interest. Is it much harder than higher level leaving certificate exams?

It's different, you need to be consistent all year through, but I think if you are scoring well on HL LC project and practical work you will be OK. It really is up to you.
    Also from the information I gave, am I misunderstanding anything or am I correct in thinking that I can progress from 5M0529 Software Development to DN201 UCD Computer Science?

That is what it looks like on the UCD site, as long as one of your distinctions is in the Maths module OR you have the required maths grade in your LC results AND you also have distinctions the other required modules. See Awards B on this page: http://www.ucd.ie/registry/admissions/FET_Comp_Science.html

I also want to apply to the two earlier mentioned institutes now. When I called Bray they told me I would need to attend an interview on 23rd August, which is fine by me as I can present a strong leaving certificate and portfolio in the field of software development I done in the past. But if I get to UCD this August, can I call them and cancel my interview with a PLC institute?

Yes you can and they will appreciate it, rather than them wasting time waiting for you, they can assign an interview to someone else.
    Or otherwise, if in August I actually accept my second offer of DIT Computer Science, but then decide I want to do the PLC instead, in order to give myself another shot of getting to UCD, can I then call DIT and cancel my Level 8 and do my QQI-FET instead?

Be careful with that. Check the date by which you will know if you have a place on the PLC or not. Don't cancel your 2nd choice CAO course without being sure you have your PLC place. Don't leave yourself with nothing.
    Final question, can I apply to more than one PLC (i.e Bray and Dun Laoghaire) to make sure I get a PLC?

Yes you can. Again, if you accept a place on one PLC, as a courtesy, let the other place know, so they can give someone else a chance.

Here's hoping you will get your points for your UCD course, but well done for preparing alternatives, should you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dmi3

Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dmi3

spurious wrote: »
    Here's hoping you will get your points for your UCD course, but well done for preparing alternatives, should you need them.

I got 477 points and as of Round 1, UCD is at 478 :(. Hopefully in Round 2 it goes down, but if I have to do PLC over a point, that's rough ;(

Advertisement