Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with work missing kids birthdays

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Tony EH wrote: »
    Grand stuff. Fuck them, I'm off to my daughter's wedding.

Sorry, thought this was about toddlers birthday, daughters wedding is a whole other level.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

davo10 wrote: »
    Sorry, thought this was about toddlers birthday, daughters wedding is a whole other level.

Agreed. A toddler's birthday is one thing. Being "asked" to miss your daughter's wedding?

No job is that important and if anyone thinks it is, you need to get some respect for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Right now I'm on my tea break in work (night shift), my fellow colleagues having the same 'family v work' dilemma on a regular basis.

My employer is fantastic when there's a family emergency etc, but wouldn't be sympathetic regarding a toddler's birthday party. I reckon that's the norm tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Right now I'm on my tea break in work (night shift), my fellow colleagues having the same 'family v work' dilemma on a regular basis.

My employer is fantastic when there's a family emergency etc, but wouldn't be sympathetic regarding a toddler's birthday party. I reckon that's the norm tbh.

When did Kindergarten Graduation become a thing ???

I had a colleague once asking to miss a very important day for that - expected 25 other people to change plans, including some with flights from Europe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I had a colleague once asking to miss a very important day for that - expected 25 other people to change plans, including some with flights from Europe!!

Yeah - birthdays are always poignant & the day of the year for kids (outside the C word!) but some of the expectations and ninsense co-workers have to put up with is ridicolous. They do realise that other people have to pick up the flack for them and often take added burdens and work extra and be away from their families to suit their needs/wants? Emergencies are unavoidable and there will always be special days but the carry-on and disruption some people go on with is just utter selfishness. They pay you and call it 'work' for a reason.

If I had a fiver for every time s co-worker 'had to' go early or leave the project st 5 o'c or worse 4:30 I would have a new car out front. Maybe there should be a system where all these extra hours are taken from their holudays and given to the people who take up the flack for them?The majority of it would soon stop then I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Yeah - birthdays are always poignant & the day of the year for kids (outside the C word!) but some of the expectations and ninsense co-workers have to put up with is ridicolous. They do realise that other people have to pick up the flack for them and often take added burdens and work extra and be away from their families to suit their needs/wants? Emergencies are unavoidable and there will always be special days but the carry-on and disruption some people go on with is just utter selfishness. They pay you and call it 'work' for a reason.

I should point out that as I got back from my aunt's funeral at 1pm, my colleague was leaving as her 4 year old was in a "poetry recital" at nursery.

I don't think my eyes have yet rolled back to their normal position and it was 14 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

To be fair there are a lot of expectations on parents .The kindergarten graduation is just one and then there are school concerts, gymnastics displays, parent teacher meetings, birthday party invites, matches I could go on....

But it is wholly unrealistic that people expect time off work to attend all of these. I wonder if it's as full on in other countries or is it just in Ireland ?

I keep a calendar to mark off upcoming events and it can get pretty busy.The worst is a birthday party with two days notice then the run around to get present card etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Your social and lifestyle calendar and your paid responsibility to ykur company and colleagues are two very different matters. To many people utterly taking the p*** in work and freeloading off their colleagues for a litany of non emergency and utterly non essential time offs. If your childs events and lifestyke are so immovable then do the right thing and give the job up to someone who is interested and comitted to it and who wont make their colleagues and employers life more difficult with 'your' expectations and extra cirricular demands than it already is.

Your social and lifestyle calendar and your paid responsibility to ykur company and colleagues are two very different matters. To many people utterly taking the p*** in work and freeloading off their colleagues for a litany of non emergency and utterly non essential time offs. If your childs events and lifestyke are so immovable then do the right thing and give the job up to someone who is interested and comitted to it and who wont make their colleagues and employers life more difficult with 'your' expectations and extra cirricular demands than it already is.

Sorry I should have said my husband is the one who works. I am at home so most of the activities are done by me. We have times where he can't attend events because he has to work and I am absolutely fine with that. In no way would I expect his boss to give him time off work to attend a non essential event.I fully get that without a job none of these events would be possible anyway.

The point I was making is that there is a lot of pressure on parents and that is why I was asking about the situation in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Blaizes wrote: »
    The point I was making is that there is a lot of pressure on parents and that is why I was asking about the situation in other countries.

These days we're importing a lot of shite "events" from other countries. In my day, fathers missed everything to do with schools events and the kids afterschool hobbies and whatnot, because they were stuck in work. It was the mothers who attended these things, because they had the time to.

But, in those days, these "events" were few and far between. Nowadays, a kids event callender is jam packed full of crap. Stuff I never even heard of.
    The kindergarten graduation is just one...

:confused: Is this in Ireland?

When did we start having "kindergartens"? Never mind kindergarten graduations. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    These days we're importing a lot of shite "events" from other countries. In my day, fathers missed everything to do with schools events and the kids afterschool hobbies and whatnot, because they were stuck in work. It was the mothers who attended these things, because they had the time to.

But, in those days, these "events" were few and far between. Nowadays, a kids event callender is jam packed full of crap. Stuff I never even heard of.

:confused: Is this in Ireland?

When did we start having "kindergartens"? Never mind kindergarten graduations. :rolleyes:

Yes this is in Ireland also goes by the name preschool, play school,creche etc
    And yes they do graduate!
    Get a cap and gown and a little scroll.A professional photographer also.

Couldn't believe it when I first heard about it from our preschool. I brought my Mum along and most parents were there, well at least one anyway.

P.S Think it's ott myself but there you go world gone mad!

Advertisement