Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when rifle get wet

Options
  • 16-06-2018 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Just wondering what everyone else does when rifle gets wet. I fully strip rifle and clean after use in even light rain and when a dew is down. Is there need to fully take apart or would a quick dry and wipe with oily rag do when rifle is a little wet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CZ455Mad

I had awful problems with damp from not cleaning my shotgun fully. But since I copped on have since put a air dryer tub with the little balls in it ( can’t for the life of me remember the proper name ) into the bottom of my safe and even when I still clean it down fully you’d be surprised the amount of water it absorbs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Put it on the radiator for an hour untill warm.That will drive out water and moisture.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

I have one of those little rechargeable dehumidifiers in my safe. Every week, I plug it in and recharge it for a night. Keeps my rifles nice and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Put it on the radiator for an hour untill warm.That will drive out water and moisture.

Gun / Rifle gets a towel down, then a rub with an oily rag before going in case or bag for the journey home. Then it's stood in a warm room near the radiator for hours on end, wiped down again and into gun socks before being put to bed..... I make sure the cases and bags are dried to.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

CZ455Mad wrote: »
    But since I copped on have since put a air dryer tub with the little balls in it ( can’t for the life of me remember the proper name ) into the bottom of my safe
    Passive dehumidifier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭eoin.d

Thanks for replies lads. I will dry with paper towels before leaving to go home in car. But when I get home I take stock off and dry and oil again. Was wondering if frequently removing stock and re torque bolts is unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

https://youtu.be/KlToim_s0c0

Have a look at this vid, I use the Renaissance Wax on my wooden stocks and metal parts and I'll apply some to the synthetic semi auto before going on the foreshore.

EBay for the wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

eoin.d wrote: »
    Thanks for replies lads. I will dry with paper towels before leaving to go home in car. But when I get home I take stock off and dry and oil again. Was wondering if frequently removing stock and re torque bolts is unnecessary.

Is it a wooden or synthetic stock ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I fully strip all my firearms when/if they get wet. I never allow it to dry. If in the field i spray, liberally, with oil and wipe down to do me until i get to the house.

I leave the scope attached to the barreled action, but the barreled action comes out of the stock. I dry and clean under the action between the stock, the bolt, the screws of the rings/rail, the barrel, inside the action, and the mod. I then wipe down with a rag (clean and dry) to rmove excess oil and leave it in the safe, the room to which has a dehumidifier and radiator.

I make sure to pay special attention to my firearms with blued barrels. The stainless ones get as good a cleaning but are not prone to marking/damage as the blued ones.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭eoin.d

I have both timber and synthetic stocks. Cass if your out at night and a heavy dew is down or if you get a few drops of rain will you do the same. I normally strip everything down and dry ,clean, oil. But was wondering about constantly torque bolts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

eoin.d wrote: »
    Cass if your out at night and a heavy dew is down or if you get a few drops of rain will you do the same.
    Yes.
    But was wondering about constantly torque bolts
    Won't be a bother as long as they are torqued to the correct settings each time. I don't even loose zero.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

People hate me ..... Im like a mechanic in that while I look after others guns, I dont look after my own.... I think my pistol is up on 3k rounds uncleaned and most of which is suppressed... same with rifle :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

HK quality for you..:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement