Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to deal with lazy colleagues?

Options
  • 16-06-2018 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So without going into too much detail.

I work in an environment where there is a mixture of full-time/part-time staff, the industry is the service industry.

There only a handful of staff that I like working with because I know they will pull their weight and do something during the shift.

The majority of the other staff simply do not give a crap, the nature of the business means that cleaning needs to be done regularly, any suggestion of cleaning is met with responses of "I'm no cleaning". When I'm on shift I go in do what needs to be done and actually clean, the next time I'm in its clear it's hasn't been cleaned since the last time I did it.

Staff do disappearing acts and are found on their phones or take longer breaks that they are entitled. Staff are out for themselves and don't give a crap about there colleagues. Staff lack any type of initiative and need to constantly to be told what to do instead of using their brains and getting on with stuff. Worked in the same job in other places and while there were the odd lazy person, it wasn't as bad as my current employment.

I've tried raising it with shift managers, who agree with me but then nothing is done and it keeps continuing. I'm so fed up it at this point I'm so close to handing in my notice and leaving, but the job is very close to home so practically no expenses getting to and from, which is very lucky compared to some people.

Raising it with line managers have gotten nowhere, can anybody give any advice on what I should try next. There is a manager above the line managers, but going to them could potentially annoy the line managers which could cause me problems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Document your evidence where your colleagues are lacking - dates, times, what wasn't done that should have been.
    Bring a copy to your line manager (LM).
    Strongly suggest that you collaborate on a report that will be sent to head manager.
    Leave LM with the understanding that it's going to head manager with or without their input.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This is going to sound harsh but its meant as sound advice:

Mind your own business, OP. There is nothing more annoying that someone in a workplace who is trying to "change" someone. Are you new to working life? You cant change anyone and I guarantee you when you bring these problems to your manager they are just thinking "I wish they would just shut up and get on with their job". The only situation where you bring problems to the attention of management or HR is if or when you are being bullied or harassed, then they need to take notice as there are laws in place for that.

But things like workers not pulling their own weight, taking long breaks etc is frankly nothing to do with you and happens in every workplace in the world. Keep the head down, only do your own work and head home again. Rules to live by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Just do your job, nothing more, nothing less.

You are being paid to literally do what you are doing, which is your job.

The terrible staff is management's problem.

It is unfortunate the shift managers are terrible, but you're not going to be able to change them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Ya just do your own shift

Let the bosses deal with the rest,you're gonna end up blackballed among the staff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Just go to work and do your own work and totally disregard what anyone else is doing. If your work area has been left in a condition that means you can’t work there then simply go to your supervisor and ask to be assigned another work area. If the supervisor advises that you clean that area yourself then do that at your own speed and then start work . If this means that someone else is delayed, and they ask you why, just refer them to your supervisor.
    Take your breaks as normal and leave on time as normal wether your finished or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Ginger83

anonuk wrote: »
    So without going into too much detail.

I work in an environment where there is a mixture of full-time/part-time staff, the industry is the service industry.

There only a handful of staff that I like working with because I know they will pull their weight and do something during the shift.

The majority of the other staff simply do not give a crap, the nature of the business means that cleaning needs to be done regularly, any suggestion of cleaning is met with responses of "I'm no cleaning". When I'm on shift I go in do what needs to be done and actually clean, the next time I'm in its clear it's hasn't been cleaned since the last time I did it.

Staff do disappearing acts and are found on their phones or take longer breaks that they are entitled. Staff are out for themselves and don't give a crap about there colleagues. Staff lack any type of initiative and need to constantly to be told what to do instead of using their brains and getting on with stuff. Worked in the same job in other places and while there were the odd lazy person, it wasn't as bad as my current employment.

I've tried raising it with shift managers, who agree with me but then nothing is done and it keeps continuing. I'm so fed up it at this point I'm so close to handing in my notice and leaving, but the job is very close to home so practically no expenses getting to and from, which is very lucky compared to some people.

Raising it with line managers have gotten nowhere, can anybody give any advice on what I should try next. There is a manager above the line managers, but going to them could potentially annoy the line managers which could cause me problems.

I've learned the more you do the more you'll be expected to do. Do as little as possible....your pay will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Diceicle wrote:
    Document your evidence where your colleagues are lacking - dates, times, what wasn't done that should have been. Bring a copy to your line manager (LM). Strongly suggest that you collaborate on a report that will be sent to head manager. Leave LM with the understanding that it's going to head manager with or without their input.

Seriously? Did you read that in 'How to make friends and influence people'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Management not interested so no point going to them again. I'm sure at least one of them are pals with the management and it'll soon slip your moaning and that's when they all turn against you and the place becomes toxic beyond belief.

I'd say what others have said just do the work and go home or leave.

But you know what the gas thing is?

I guarantee if you started doing what the others do you'd be the first one called out and warned. Usual Bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Change jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Seriously? Did you read that in 'How to make friends and influence people'?

You must have pressed 'submit' too early as there doesn't seem to be a point to what you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Diceicle wrote:
    You must have pressed 'submit' too early as there doesn't seem to be a point to what you posted.

Nope. My point obviously eluded you. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I've learned the more you do the more you'll be expected to do. Do as little as possible....your pay will be the same.

I've learned the same - the more I've done, the more is expected, but I can't jump on the bandwaagon and do as little as the employees that are upsetting me by being lazy. I do what is required, and I do it well.
    Although when I have come across this behaviour before I do find it very difficult to ignore it, it wears on me. I would talk to my Dad about it and he would say why is it bothering you, and that just shows how different people can or do deal with workplace issues.
    I've started a new job this week :) and I'm working with just one other person, and thank God they are fair, and have same work ethics and interests as myself.

OP, as difficult as it is I would recommend you do your job, be proud that you do a good job and do your best to dismiss the others behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 crkcvnirl

OP,
    I for one certainly admire you're work ethic, any employer would be lucky to have you. As a previous poster stated document all that is/or isn't happening and present it to your line manager. If no joy with the line manage send it higher, any switched on regional manager or business owner would thank you for it.

A service business or in deed any business will only survive if it gets repeat customers. If ppl aren't pulling their weight leaving things undone, well there'll come a point when that employer or the outlet in question will no longer exist.

Just wondering how often do the suits from HQ visit?

Two options you have:
    1) Send your report up the line
    2) Get a new job and references from current employer and send up the report anyway.

If I was your current employer and you handed me a report like that, I'd promote you and set the current shift heads free!

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

The management in the company are an utter joke OP. There's lots that can be done when people are lazy piss takers and TBH from the replies on this post, people are lucky their managers haven't the balls to actually performance manage them or they'd find themselves pulling up their socks or out on their ears.
    A company with a culture like that is going to drive you nuts, eventually you'll leave anyway, so look around and find somewhere you'd love to work and go on your own terms rather than waiting till you actually can't stand the thought of going in to work.

Advertisement