Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let's all get behind ENGLAND

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

England are really poor.
    Jaysus Boyata looked like Beckenbauer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

England are really poor.
    Jaysus Boyata looked like Beckenbauer

We need our XI out there to progress, that much is clear after that performance tonight. Still think we have enough in that XI to get past Columbia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

AllForIt wrote: »
    Simply wouldn't do to be talking themselves up when they haven't won it since 19 you know when. There is noting worse to hear chants based on a sense of entitlement to win when they don't have a chance. I'd hardly think talking themselves down will really make any difference as if they can't do it in the first place what difference does it make. I guess they are getting a little tired of feeling embarrassed.

If that's the case why would anyone cheer on Ireeeland?

Honestly I think finishing 2nd in one of the worst World cup groups of all time is nothing to get excited about.
    Belgium half decent european team who will never win a major trophy along with 2 pub teams
    And remember England had the benefit of qualifying via one of the easiest qualifying groups in which Scotland came within seconds of beating them.
    Delusional to think they have a snowballs chance in hell of winning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,128 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

For England to beat anyone decent they have to first beat themselves. And they only seem able to do that when it doesn't really matter.

Cannot understand why that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Honestly I think finishing 2nd in one of the worst World cup groups of all time is nothing to get excited about.
    Belgium half decent european team who will never win a major trophy along with 2 pub teams
    And remember England had the benefit of qualifying via one of the easiest qualifying groups in which Scotland came within seconds of beating them.
    Delusional to think they have a snowballs chance in hell of winning it.

If Belgium are a half decent European side, can you give us the name of some decent European sides? I think they have a good chance and the players to go all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pub teams. Would ya give over. Granted Panama were brutal but they're all professional footballers. Half of the Tunisian players ply their trade in Europe including Ligue 1 in France, the Belgian top flight and the English Premier League. England lost by a single goal to Belgium, hardly an embarrasment.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Pub teams. Would ya give over. Granted Panama were brutal but they're all professional footballers. Half of the Tunisian players ply their trade in Europe including Ligue 1 in France, the Belgian top flight and the English Premier League. England lost by a single goal to Belgium, hardly an embarrasment.
    England's full squad are all in tier one professional teams, yet they cannot get to the end stages of any major tournament for donkey's years.

There is something seriously amiss that goes beyond just football.

Not disputing that Francie. Writing them off because they beat 'pub teams' and finished 2nd to a talented Belgium team is bollox though.

• Advertisement

Not disputing that Francie. Writing them off because they beat 'pub teams' and finished 2nd to a talented Belgium team is bollox though.

In fairness I think 'pub teams' was meant as a euphemism for the lowliest teams in the comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

The local residents in the Gooner Valley have, in large numbers, chosen to support England's World Cup opponents. :D

There's no way the locals would look forward to an England World Cup win with all those Middlesex Swamp Dwellers in the squad! :pac:

It's club over country around here! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

FTA69 wrote: »
    Fans singing Rule Brittania and they’re shocked then that nobody likes them. Honestly I’d support England if they didn’t revel in this imperialistic sh*t but they just can’t help themselves.
    An 19th century obnoxious and racist chant. And to think the English gutter press had the nerve to warn about racism in Russia.

I hope Columbia has taken note that England don't think much of them. Hopefully this snub by England will motivate the Columbians.

Yes Francie thanks for pointing out that "pub teams " is in fact a euphemism.

Omackeral
    Writing them off because they beat 2 pubs is not quite the same "bollox " as proclaiming that footballs coming home because they manage to beat the pub teams

The Football's Coming Home thing is largely a meme from what I've seen. They fully expected to get out of their group and they did. Finishing second to Belgium is no disgrace. If they can get by Columbia, it's Sweden or Switzerland in the last 8, both of whom they can put it up to.

This England team, and campaign in general, has been the most inoffensive one I can recall. Likeable enough manager, decent group of players with no real primadonna types and non of this WAG sh*t either. They don't bother me at all. We watch all their players week in and week out. Fair play to them so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

^ to be fair that's all true. Rooting against England is almost a meme now too.

This England team, and campaign in general, has been the most inoffensive one I can recall. Likeable enough manager, decent group of players with no real primadonna types and non of this WAG sh*t either. They don't bother me at all. We watch all their players week in and week out. Fair play to them so far.
    Yes, an inoffensive campaign.
    The English fans have been taunting Europeans with - "If it wasn't for the English you'd be Krauts" for decades and smashing up bars and generally being obnoxious and abusive to locals but for some strange reason they seem to be on their best behaviour in Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

The English fans have been taunting Europeans with - "If it wasn't for the English you'd be Krauts" for decades and smashing up bars and generally being obnoxious and abusive to locals but for some strange reason they seem to be on their best behaviour in Russia.

You do realize these aren’t actually the same people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Eh - no they haven't? If you want to stick to old chestnuts and stereotypes, go for it, but it might not be ab idea to advertise such an attitudue if you want to look like you know what you're talking about.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

An 19th century obnoxious and racist chant. And to think the English gutter press had the nerve to warn about racism in Russia.

I hope Columbia has taken note that England don't think much of them. Hopefully this snub by England will motivate the Columbians.

Nonsense. No one is writing off Colombia. Colombia will arguably be a harder game than Japan, the prize, if they can actually win a knock out game, is an easier draw to a semi final. Unless you, with your Russian hand on heart can say the hosts, or any other team would choose to play Brazil or Mexico over Sweden or Switzerland? All good teams, just an absolute fact, people, if they're being honest, would choose the former, not latter.

But maybe you're on about Columbia, in which case, yep I reckon England could beat one of the many towns and district's in the US called Columbia. Fck it, even a select 11.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

One of the most enjoyable things about England progressing to the next stage, is reading all the bitterness from the usual suspects on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Kinda hard to make any judgement on that. Both sides not full strength, especially England, with their eye on the next round. Both teams had chances, Belgium took one of theirs which was a beauty.

Can see why people think England could implode at any moment, given their tournament history but I think they'll gain confidence the further they go. And it's looking like one of those upside down tournaments with a lot of teams playing below par so far.

I'd like England to do well personally. And I've always had a soft spot for the Croats. After that, it'd just be nice for a smaller football nation to win it for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Hopefully the Colombians are still on a high when they play England and send them packing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Spook_ie wrote: »

Because we're not c@#ts. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Good to see w@nkers conforming to type, didn't take long.

Are these the crowd I'm supposed to support?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/world-cup-russia-england-fans-panama-nizhny-novgorod-a8414701.html

"Less impressive were the sounds of England’s past sectarian struggles – “No surrender to the IRA” – which locals ignored without understanding why they were right to."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

It's one thing to support/well wish Englands cricket team, Englands Rugby team, Britain in the Olympics, Tim Henman/Andy Murray at Wimbledon, but their football team support unfortunately still harbours quite a bit of anti Irish sentiment, some of their hardcore support has links to Loyalist paramilitaries, you'll see quite a few England flags with Rangers badges, red hand of ulster symbols etc. The England teams in other sports don't carry this mob around.

This is the reason why unless you have links to England, e.g. family, why would you support them?

You don't have to either cheer for or against them, I don't and I was born and raised there (I'm 2nd generation). Its a bit small time to cheer against them, but I certainly wouldn't cheer for them, not when they have UVF sympathisers within their hardcore support.

They played Scotland at Celtic park and decided to sing "No surrender to the IRA" throughout the match.

Their football team support unfortunately still harbours quite a bit of anti Irish sentiment, some of their hardcore support has links to Loyalist paramilitaries, you'll see quite a few England flags with Rangers badges, red hand of ulster symbols etc.

This is the reason why unless you have links to England, e.g. family, why would you support them?

I often wonder the exact same about Irish Chelsea fans.

You sure about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

It's one thing to support/well wish Englands cricket team, Englands Rugby team, Britain in the Olympics, Tim Henman/Andy Murray at Wimbledon, but their football team support unfortunately still harbours quite a bit of anti Irish sentiment, some of their hardcore support has links to Loyalist paramilitaries, you'll see quite a few England flags with Rangers badges, red hand of ulster symbols etc. The England teams in other sports don't carry this mob around.

You don't have to either cheer for or against them, I don't and I was born and raised there (I'm 2nd generation). Its a bit small time to cheer against them, but I certainly wouldn't cheer for them, not when they have UVF sympathisers within their hardcore support.

They played Scotland at Celtic park and decided to sing "No surrender to the IRA" throughout the match.

Football fans in general are meat-heads. Most football chants are cruel. I wouldn't focus too much on the views of a small, if vocal, section of their fan base.

• Advertisement

Good to see w@nkers conforming to type, didn't take long.

Are these the crowd I'm supposed to support?

Damn it, Damn it, damn it, and I'm sure England were so close to counting on you for your support, I could tell you were really warming to them as well, ho hum, what might have been.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Triggered.

You haven't slipped through their fingers as well Pat? Say it isn't so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Spook_ie wrote: »

Setting the bar kinda low there, aren't you?

As for the paramilitary chants: am I supposed to ignore the fact that most people would agree in not surrending to a terrorist organisation, apart from the fine upstanding supporters of another Glaswegian-based UK football team that I've encountered cheering in future in favour OF said organisation?

Football fans can be ****wits. This isn't new. Using a select band of said individuals to portray entire nations in such a way is somewhere between simply bigotry and embarrassingly ignorant.

Well I'm not English so I cannot fathom how I'd ever have been in their grasp in the first place. Any Irish person even contemplating supporting them should be handing in their passport on the way out.

So you're saying there's a chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You are behaving pretty poorly in here, particularly for a mod.

If England apologised humbly and sincerely to the world in general and Ireland specifically for their horrible imperialist rape and pillage and paid reperations for their exploitative occupation of dozens of countries including ours,if they also gave back the elgin marbles and apologised again for inventing Cricket and Nigel Lafarge and agreed not to participate in any more international football events until their scummy fans learned how to behave themselves ( just to be clear here,offensive chanting is tolerable but smashing up bars and restaurants and terrorising women and children is not) I would on their return to said events consider not automatically supporting their opposition.

The beatings the russians dished out to the scummy fans at the Euros seem to have made their mark as so far we havent heard of any bars and restaurants being smashed up.Early days and maybe when Columbia end the delusion they might be tempted to revert to type.

Rule Brittania !!!!

Kirby wrote: »
    You are behaving pretty poorly in here, particularly for a mod.

:pac:

If England apologised humbly and sincerely to the world in general and Ireland specifically for their horrible imperialist rape and pillage and paid reperations for their exploitative occupation of dozens of countries including ours,if they also gave back the elgin marbles and apologised again for inventing Cricket and Nigel Lafarge and agreed not to participate in any more international football events until their scummy fans learned how to behave themselves ( just to be clear here,offensive chanting is tolerable but smashing up bars and restaurants and terrorising women and children is not) I would on their return to said events consider not automatically supporting their opposition.

The beatings the russians dished out to the scummy fans at the Euros seem to have made their mark as so far we havent heard of any bars and restaurants being smashed up.Early days and maybe when Columbia end the delusion they might be tempted to revert to type.

Rule Brittania !!!!

The government definitely should apologise for what the country did as an imperialist empire, and Nigel Farage, the Elgin Marbles should be returned, and anything else that's been plundered the same. Fans should learn how to behave, and I agree moronic songs is one thing, violence around families, or violence in general is disgusting.

But you're not getting cricket.

As I said way back when, I don't think it's the least bit surprising people in Ireland, Wales or Scotland don't want to support England. It's understandable.

But you're still not getting cricket.

But.. it's an EU passport...!

• Advertisement

Ok i am prepared to compromise on cricket if you change the format slightly.
    Here's what I suggest
    Leave the teams at 11 a side.
    Change the playing area from oval to rectangular
    Put goal posts at either end, make the ball bigger and softer and have the games last 90 minutes with a break for tea after 45 minutes.
    That might work

Eh - no they haven't? If you want to stick to old chestnuts and stereotypes, go for it, but it might not be ab idea to advertise such an attitudue if you want to look like you know what you're talking about.
    Have you just arrived on planet Earth?
    But maybe you're on about Columbia, in which case, yep I reckon England could beat one of the many towns and district's in the US called Columbia. Fck it, even a select 11.
    What are you on about?

Wow, you're an absolute nice piece of work aren't you? Such a shame people like you turn up every school holiday and start gobbing off about things you have absolutely no idea about.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/22/russian-arrested-over-euro-2016-attack-that-left-england-fan-in-coma

Are you as excited about the Irish Liverpool fan put in a coma as well? I mean, he was part of a bunch of thug football fans as well?

Have you just arrived on planet Earth?
    I'm in a dimension that goes on present information and not dated stereotypes in order to garner a more accurate picture of present and current events. Come join me!

What are you on about?

Not aimed at me, but the poster was reacting to the fact that you mis-spelt "Colombia" (the country) as "Columbia (the district in Washington, USA).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ok i am prepared to compromise on cricket if you change the format slightly.
    Here's what I suggest
    Leave the teams at 11 a side.
    Change the playing area from oval to rectangular
    Put goal posts at either end, make the ball bigger and softer and have the games last 90 minutes with a break for tea after 45 minutes.
    That might work

And you can only score maybe once or twice per game?... sorry but that sounds boring as soccer. It's amazing when you think about it that a sport that can regularly see 90 minutes of play and not a single goal can be the world's most popular sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

And you can only score maybe once or twice per game?... sorry but that sounds boring as soccer. It's amazing when you think about it that a sport that can regularly see 90 minutes of play and not a single goal can be the world's most popular sport

Its almost like goals aren't the only thing people watch a match for....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Time to get out me 2015 Los Cafeteros Jersey so it is

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Time to get out me 2015 Los Cafeteros Jersey so it is

It's a quality shirt, the away one from 2015 is brilliant.

A few of the reasons why English fans have behaved so far.

Long may it continue, I hate to see decent fans embarrassed by the yobs.

1517337519.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement