Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi soiling fee - Driver followed me for 5km

Options
  • 17-06-2018 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

TLDR - friend got sick in taxi. Friend leaves without paying soiling charge. Driver follows me for 5KM through pitch black park, taking videos & pics of me.

Hi, curious to know other people's opinions on this. I do not know whether to take this any further or report it. Or might be best to just write it off as a bad night.

Got a taxi home last night. My friend beside the window got sick. We get to her street and he says soiling fee is 140. We look at the damage. Tiny bit of watery sick on the car door, rest on her dress. No smell.

So we try to reason with him, talk him down to 70 since 140 is the upper limit & this could be cleaned with a baby wipe. He refuses. So the girl & her BF leave the cab. Then myself & my BF do also. He doesn't follow the girl who soiled the car, he follows us. I guess we were more sober.

We walk through an estate. Jump over a wall. I had heels on, fall & scrap my legs. He follows us into a pitch black park, at this stage I'm getting scared. I tell him he should follow the person who soiled his cab, that I didn't cause the damage so I am not liable for it.

We get onto a main road (thank God, I am bleeding and shaking at this point, with my heart racing). He starts to put his phone camera into face to take videos and pictures of me. Walks right in front of my face and I panic, push him back out of the way. Then he says to the video that I am attacking him. I'm not sure if this constitutes an attack, but on a quiet road, in the dead of night I am TERRIFIED of him.

Anyway after I push him, I run for about 1km and eventually flag a cab home. Seriously shook and cried for over an hour before I calmed down. SO....if you're still reading...would you do anything about this? I know his reg.

To add, full cab fare was paid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Get some sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

So, you soiled his cab, and then physically assaulted him, which he has video evidence of?

I hope that he reports you (but I doubt he will).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Brian201888

El Tarangu wrote: »
    So, you soiled his cab, and then physically assaulted him, which he has video evidence of?

I hope that he reports you (but I doubt he will).

Neither of those things were mentioned in the post but enjoy being a lovely human

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭dobman88

Why didn't your boyfriend step in and tell him to move on when he was following you and had a camera phone in your face?

Anyway, sleep it off and have a happy hangover

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    Neither of those things were mentioned in the post but enjoy being a lovely human

You must be have been reading a different post than me; in the one I read, four people get into a taxi, one of them throws up in it, and then they all walk off without paying the soiling fee. Later, the OP mentioned that she pushed the taxi driver.

If I drove a cab and someone vomited in it, I would probably not let them out of my sight until they paid me what I was owed, either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FaceCakesFi

I didn't vomit in his cab. I am not liable for any fee.

I pushed as he was aggressively in my face taking pictures of me. Which I considered tantamount to harassment.

The driver would have been better served calling the Garda when the soiling fee was refused.

Not excusing his actions as you have outlined them, but the Garda would have taken everyone's details and ensured the fee was paid

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

El Tarangu wrote: »
    You must be have been reading a different post than me; in the one I read, four people get into a taxi, one of them throws up in it, and then they all walk off without paying the soiling fee. Later, the OP mentioned that she pushed the taxi driver.

If I drove a cab and someone vomited in it, I would probably not let them out of my sight until they paid me what I was owed, either.

Well you’re obviously not reading the same post as me too. She didn’t do anything. In fact the taxi driver followed after the wrong couple

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

To be honest my sympathies totally lie with the driver. There is a soiling fee for a reason. €140 is not too much to pay as it is bodily fluids from somebody else. If I was the driver I'd want my cab valeted and not just a bloody babywipe and €70 offered.
    If I were you I would be extremely angry too but not with your taxi driver but your so called friend who had the brass neck to leave a taxi with her vomit in it and not compensate the driver but leave her friend to deal with her mess.
    Only person I would be having sharp words with is this immature idiot

Blazer wrote: »
    Well you’re obviously not reading the same post as me too. She didn’t do anything. In fact the taxi driver followed after the wrong couple

Well, from the way that I read it, the OP and her bf were involved in earlier negotiations as to the soiling fee. If she was arguing that 70 instead of 140 should be paid, it wouldn't be a huge leap of logic from the taxi driver that she and her bf would be on the hook for said fee.

• Advertisement

Soiling fees are payable by the person doing the soiling.

We were negotiating the charge along with my friend, to assist her. Obviously I would not have been paying any amount other than the fare. Why would I pay any money when I have done nothing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

5kms through a park in the dark ? yeah right , try making a movie out of it but i doubt it will get too far

We were negotiating the charge along with my friend, to assist her. Obviously I would not have been paying any amount other than the fare. Why would I pay any money when I have done nothing wrong?

Well maby you should choose your friends a bit more wisely. I would wait until morning and ring her and pass on the taxi drivers details so she can pay her way then I would expect an apology from her for being a complete idiot and landing you in trouble.
    As for 'helping' her negotiate with the taxi driver, can you imagine trying to have a conversation with not just one drunk passenger but also with her friends interrupting and arguing the fixed soiling fee. Maby next time get your own taxi and let your friend cop on and be an adult and deal with her own mess

Sorry, you are incorrect bertsmom. It is not a fixed fee or anything like it.

Per the national transport authority: Soiling – a fee may be charged where a passenger either soils the vehicle or damages it so much that the driver has to take it out of service or has to pay to have it cleaned or repaired. The maximum such fee is €140, but the actual fee charged may be lower – it should reflect the costs reasonably incurred by the operator; fee is incurred by the occupant causing the damage

Apologies I did think it was a fixed fee. I was wrong it is not. However taking a taxi out of service to get it valeted with the loss of earnings for that night and the actual fee to get it properly cleaned I think €140 is the very least deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

its a troll post bertsmom, was ops first post dont feed it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Soiling fees are payable by the person doing the soiling.

Incorrect. It is payable by the hirer/s of the taxi as an add on to the fare. By your own admission you were the last to leave the cab so I can't see why you are shocked that the driver make an effort to collect the due fare that none of you seem to be worried about.

As regards soiling the taxi, whatever way you make this out but the fact is that your friend has soiled the taxi by getting sick inside of the taxi. I don't know about your or your friends vomit but everybody else's vomit smells pretty foul and that's not allowing for whatever else you ate or drank over the course of the evening. Think about the next passengers and what they'd make of the smell? No baby wipe can sort out that smell nor a shoot of Lynx or Febreeze.

If I were you I'd pay up whatever is owed to the driver, along with something extra to apologise for the stress that you've caused them. You've spoilt their night as well as taking their car off the road and costing them income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

if he wants 140 you should give it to him but if he accepts i believe you are legally entitled to have a sh!te in the cab.

i recommend conducting the transaction tomorrow for full value, especially if you were on the stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How much did the four of ye spend on booze on your night out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Got a taxi home last night. My friend beside the window got sick. We get to her street and he says soiling fee is 140. We look at the damage. Tiny bit of watery sick on the car door, rest on her dress. No smell.

No smell.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

I feel so sorry for that taxi driver. Are you not even the tiniest bit ashamed that ye soiled his cab, argued about the payment, walked off and then asaulted him when he pursued?

You are not the victims in this. He is.

Pay the fine and apologise

Per the national transport authority: Soiling – a fee may be charged where a passenger either soils the vehicle or damages it so much that the driver has to take it out of service or has to pay to have it cleaned or repaired. The maximum such fee is €140, but the actual fee charged may be lower – it should reflect the costs reasonably incurred by the operator; fee is incurred by the occupant causing the damage

Bodily fluids were deposited in a vehicle carrying 4 passengers. The driver rightly sought a fee to cover the cost of cleaning the vehicle and covering loss of income while it was off the road. He has no choice in the matter. Nor do you and your friends. Pay the man his money and hope the Gardai don’t arrive on your doorstep investigating charges of assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭dubrov

If it was as the OP says (and I doubt it) the taxi driver should have just wiped down the door and got on with his night.

If it was worse than that he should've called the guards to ensure the soilage fee was paid.

Following a couple of drunk teens late at night through a park with a camera was a stupid thing to do and could've got him in a lot of trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Why are you whinging on boards then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭corks finest

I pushed as he was aggressively in my face taking pictures of me. Which I considered tantamount to harassment.

You assaulted him,end of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

The taxi driver didn't handle the situation particularly well, but op you are in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭corks finest

TLDR - friend got sick in taxi. Friend leaves without paying soiling charge. Driver follows me for 5KM through pitch black park, taking videos & pics of me.

Hi, curious to know other people's opinions on this. I do not know whether to take this any further or report it. Or might be best to just write it off as a bad night.

So we try to reason with him, talk him down to 70 since 140 is the upper limit & this could be cleaned with a baby wipe. He refuses. So the girl & her BF leave the cab. Then myself & my BF do also. He doesn't follow the girl who soiled the car, he follows us. I guess we were more sober.

We walk through an estate. Jump over a wall. I had heels on, fall & scrap my legs. He follows us into a pitch black park, at this stage I'm getting scared. I tell him he should follow the person who soiled his cab, that I didn't cause the damage so I am not liable for it.

We get onto a main road (thank God, I am bleeding and shaking at this point, with my heart racing). He starts to put his phone camera into face to take videos and pictures of me. Walks right in front of my face and I panic, push him back out of the way. Then he says to the video that I am attacking him. I'm not sure if this constitutes an attack, but on a quiet road, in the dead of night I am TERRIFIED of him.

Anyway after I push him, I run for about 1km and eventually flag a cab home. Seriously shook and cried for over an hour before I calmed down. SO....if you're still reading...would you do anything about this? I know his reg.

To add, full cab fare was paid.

That's called assault,must ppl get so drunk that they vomit? Wow say twas a great night alright/not,grow up,and if he /she was a friend then split the damage

• Registered Users Posts: 24,348 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Where did your fella disappear off to when you were running away?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

tedpan wrote: »
    No smell.... :D

Yes there is...

... a distinctive stench of a troll.

Advertisement