Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi soiling fee - Driver followed me for 5km

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The boyfriend was with her during this high-stakes pursuit, but he mysteriously disappears half way through the story leaving her to race a kilometer through the early morning mists of an 80's slasher film, alone, cut and bleeding.

We can only suppose the taxi driver slit his throat and left him for dead in a bush.

This is clearly a wind-up post, the story doesn't really make any sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Why dont taxi drivers have paper sick bags in the back, like in planes?

Then you can puke in the bag and pour it over the driver's head when he starts trying to regale you with his "conversation" that nobody wants. Just shut the fukc up and drive, for fukc sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Clearly the taxi driver murdered the boyfriend at the start of the parkrun yet the OP is mainly concerned with her scraped knees?

Wait, how did you scrape your knees again? Did you pay in kind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Have you ever been sick on a Ryanair flight? :pac:

Hint: no sick bags

I would have presumed that the soiling charge is added onto the meter as an 'additional fare'. The fact it was not you that got sick is irrelevant, you shared a taxi and all passengers are liable for the shared total taxi fare. It's up to you OP to go after your 'friend' for the soiling charge.
    kuntboy wrote: »
    Why dont taxi drivers have paper sick bags in the back, like in planes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Is this a wind-up? You do the crime you pay the fine.

Proper scumbag behaviour trying to wiggle your ass out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

tedpan wrote: »
    No smell.... :D

Yeah, her vomit doesn't smell and I'm sure her **** don't stink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Plot twist. There was no friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

As an AH Thread, this thread is a bad thread - well it's Sunday.

As a Commuting & Transport Thread this is sheer PUKE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Plot twist. There was no friend.

...and the boyfriend was the taxi man (which explains his disappearance)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Patww79 wrote: »
    Ermmm.

Shared cab shared responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FaceCakesFi

Patww79 wrote: »

I still can't understand why he followed, photographed & videod me and not the person who soiled the cab (whose actual street the taxi was stopped on, she gave directions, though of course he may not have known it was her street).

Got separated from my BF in the park. Did I mention it was night, there was zero lights, we were running, we were not somewhere either of us knew the layout of etc etc. If it's never happened to you, being pursued by someone, in darkness, in a secluded area that you're not familiar with is quite scary and may cause you to act in a way not usual to your character. Hence, why I pushed him, the 3rd or 4th time he put his phone in my face. I was pushing to get past him. And actually it may be the only thing that got him to leave me alone in the end.

Anyway, my last post on this...thanks for your comments! Was really curious to see what other people thought. New day and all that. My friends has his info, so up to her want she wants to do.

Last note, I do find it curious that at no point did he call the gardai.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Yes there is...

... a distinctive stench of a troll.

I really believe the incident happened but probably not the story we got here. We got the sanitized version, last night was the messy drunken truth.

I still can't understand why he followed, photographed & videod me and not the person who soiled the cab (whose actual street the taxi was stopped on, she gave directions, though of course he may not have known it was her street).

Got separated from my BF in the park. Did I mention it was night, there was zero lights, we were running, we were not somewhere either of us knew the layout of etc etc. If it's never happened to you, being pursued by someone, in darkness, in a secluded area that you're not familiar with is quite scary and may cause you to act in a way not usual to your character. Hence, why I pushed him, the 3rd or 4th time he put his phone in my face. I was pushing to get past him. And actually it may be the only thing that got him to leave me alone in the end.

Anyway, thanks for your comments! Was really curious to see what other people thought. New day and all that. My friends has his info, so up to her want she wants to do.

Last note, I do find it curious that at no point did he call the gardas.

Why didn't you call the Gardai if all this was actually happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I would never share a taxi with a drinker again. I did not know that everyone in the cab is responsible for the charge. I can understand very well the need for such a charge in view of societies increasing use of alcohol, increasing use of taxis as opposed to private cars ( most people drank a lot less in former times, had sober relations etc...) also drink driving laws were a lot less strict than now and consequences a lot less severe. An increase in vomiting is inevitable.

How on earth do the likes of nite link and busses manage??? Do all the passengers on board at the time of the .....biological event....have to pay for soilage as they are sharing a bus. Is it up to the driver to sort out the culprit involved????

Way back in the distant past I used to take taxis home from Eyre Square in Galway. At that time you could chose your cab, none of this queue control and road marshall dictating to you to take first in line nonsense like you get in Dublin.
    The drivers would often warn obviously intoxicated passengers to take a walk for a 1/2 an hour or so to sober up a bit before embarking on their journeys even if this meant losing a fare. Others would admonish fares to keep the windows open and tell them in time if the "need" arose..... You cannot do this now with heavy traffic in Dublin and the risk of being accused of defamation by overly sensitive passengers so no prior precautions can be taken before the beginning of the journey. in these days of cheap booze and industrial levels of consumption among some ( not all ) of our nightlife people you cannot be sure enough time will be available to people to exit that taxi and do the necessary.
    Is it allowed for taxi drivers to refuse fares in an intoxicated state?? Similar to bouncers refusing entry to people? Or do cab drivers have to take all comers regardless??

Also in the old days drivers would insist on seeing the fare ahead of time to avoid non payments and dodging, a thing that started to happen in the latter stages of my nightlife experiences.....some would insist on pocketing an approximate amount in advance but others would merely want to see the money to be sure you had enough. Would this be allowed now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I was a taxi driver years ago. Taxi was soiled on a few occasions. No aggro I just drove to the nearest Garda station never an issue getting the 'soiling feel.'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

doolox wrote: »
    At that time you could chose your cab, none of this queue control and road marshall dictating to you to take first in line nonsense like you get in Dublin.

You can choose your own cab at any rank - customer's choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You can but highly unlikely the driver will take you and they will point you to the taxi at the top of the queue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Sooo, I can walk ahead of someone, hinder them and aggressively point a camera right in their face and that is alright with everyone? It has to be, no one on this thread seems to have the slightest issue with it anyway.
    I'll do that next time I'm back in Ireland.
    Walk ahead of some random person, point a camera in their face and say "I'm not doing anything wrong, you can't touch me, if you do it's assault".
    Once they push me I got handy evidence for the court case where I'll get fat compensatory for my "injuries ".
    Ireland is a very strange country.

You can but highly unlikely the driver will take you and they will point you to the taxi at the top of the queue.

If they try this, you report them to the Regulator and they won't try it again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Pelvis wrote: »
    Shared cab shared responsibility.

Don't really agree with that.
    However, I'd probably have paid it and just made my friend pay me...although I'd prob have re-negotiated since it wasn't me who got sick in it and probably would have offered to clean it for him myself when he dropped me home (assuming it was just a tiny bit of sick on the door)
    "hang on mate I'll go get some upholstery cleaner, disinfectant and warm water"
    Though, I don't think any of my friends would have left me in that situation and if they did, once they paid up, they would no longer be my friend. Maybe all that is just me. These two seem to have got out of the taxi before they got home, which is odd.

Sooo, I can walk ahead of someone, hinder them and aggressively point a camera right in their face and that is alright with everyone? It has to be, no one on this thread seems to have the slightest issue with it anyway.
    I'll do that next time I'm back in Ireland.
    Walk ahead of some random person, point a camera in their face and say "I'm not doing anything wrong, you can't touch me, if you do it's assault".
    Once they push me I got handy evidence for the court case where I'll get fat compensatory for my "injuries ".
    Ireland is a very strange country.

I think that if the incident happened as OP claims that she’d have gone to the Gardai rather than post here. It appears that a lot of alcohol was consumed therefore recollections might be a bit hazy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

This is correct. Haven't had a night out in town for many, many years but there were certain ranks I would never go to due to the behaviour of the taxi drivers at them and the way they behave towards other taxi drivers/the fact some drivers are not 'allowed' to use particular ranks.
    You can choose the taxi at the back of the queue if you wish, under absolutely no obligation to take the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If it's never happened to you

I don't think its happened to anybody in this thread.

Did you find your boyfriends body?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Anyway, my last post on this...thanks for your comments! Was really curious to see what other people thought. New day and all that. My friends has his info, so up to her want she wants to do.

Last note, I do find it curious that at no point did he call the gardai.

I’d imagine he didn’t call the Gardai because they would have seen the “damage”, and if it is as you described they would have told him that €140 was not a valid charge. He chanced his arm and tried to intimidate you into paying.

I’d imagine he didn’t call the Gardai because they would have seen the “damage”, and if it is as you described they would have told him that €140 was not a valid charge. He chanced his arm and tried to intimidate you into paying.
    Or maybe he know that the chances of the Gardai arriving within a few hours were slim to none?

doolox wrote: »
    I would never share a taxi with a drinker again. I did not know that everyone in the cab is responsible for the charge. I can understand very well the need for such a charge in view of societies increasing use of alcohol, increasing use of taxis as opposed to private cars ( most people drank a lot less in former times, had sober relations etc...) also drink driving laws were a lot less strict than now and consequences a lot less severe. An increase in vomiting is inevitable.

How on earth do the likes of nite link and busses manage??? Do all the passengers on board at the time of the .....biological event....have to pay for soilage as they are sharing a bus. Is it up to the driver to sort out the culprit involved????

Way back in the distant past I used to take taxis home from Eyre Square in Galway. At that time you could chose your cab, none of this queue control and road marshall dictating to you to take first in line nonsense like you get in Dublin.
    The drivers would often warn obviously intoxicated passengers to take a walk for a 1/2 an hour or so to sober up a bit before embarking on their journeys even if this meant losing a fare. Others would admonish fares to keep the windows open and tell them in time if the "need" arose..... You cannot do this now with heavy traffic in Dublin and the risk of being accused of defamation by overly sensitive passengers so no prior precautions can be taken before the beginning of the journey. in these days of cheap booze and industrial levels of consumption among some ( not all ) of our nightlife people you cannot be sure enough time will be available to people to exit that taxi and do the necessary.
    Is it allowed for taxi drivers to refuse fares in an intoxicated state?? Similar to bouncers refusing entry to people? Or do cab drivers have to take all comers regardless??

Also in the old days drivers would insist on seeing the fare ahead of time to avoid non payments and dodging, a thing that started to happen in the latter stages of my nightlife experiences.....some would insist on pocketing an approximate amount in advance but others would merely want to see the money to be sure you had enough. Would this be allowed now??

The increasing use of alcohol?? Ireland consumption has fallen by at least 20% in the last few years. Your post is high on bluster and low on facts.

Or maybe he know that the chances of the Gardai arriving within a few hours were slim to none?

Why not drive to a police station? I’ve seen and heard of many drivers do this. He was a chancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement

Why not drive to a police station? I’ve seen and heard of many drivers do this. He was a chancer.

Because in many parts of the country, this could be 30-60 minutes away?
    Because he trusted in the decency of the occupants to do the decent thing?

Advertisement