Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi soiling fee - Driver followed me for 5km

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Because in many parts of the country, this could be 30-60 minutes away?
    Because he trusted in the decency of the occupants to do the decent thing?

No, it was because he was a chancer, trying to gouge extra money from customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,393 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Terrible behaviour by the passengers.

Imagine being the driver in this situation.

OP gets in the taxi with the friend, tries to negotiate the soiling charge on behalf of the friend and then is the last person to leave the cab but suddenly wants to have nothing to do with them.

Its just incredible the lack of responsibility some people can have for someone else's livelihood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭bmc58

I didn't vomit in his cab. I am not liable for any fee.

I pushed as he was aggressively in my face taking pictures of me. Which I considered tantamount to harassment.

Where was your BF while all this was going on.Why were you "terrified" if your BF was with you?You need to give answers to these questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Climbed over a wall and walked 5 km (that is an hour walk) in high heels.... Right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SteM

OP, who paid the fare to the taxi driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

any6w6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

doolox wrote: »
    I would never share a taxi with a drinker again. I did not know that everyone in the cab is responsible for the charge. I can understand very well the need for such a charge in view of societies increasing use of alcohol, increasing use of taxis as opposed to private cars ( most people drank a lot less in former times, had sober relations etc...) also drink driving laws were a lot less strict than now and consequences a lot less severe. An increase in vomiting is inevitable.

How on earth do the likes of nite link and busses manage??? Do all the passengers on board at the time of the .....biological event....have to pay for soilage as they are sharing a bus. Is it up to the driver to sort out the culprit involved????
    Bus != taxi on ever so many levels, so not sure of the immediate relevance of this question?
    Way back in the distant past I used to take taxis home from Eyre Square in Galway. At that time you could chose your cab, none of this queue control and road marshall dictating to you to take first in line nonsense like you get in Dublin.
    And this is still the case in Dublin, at least officially. If you have seen some kind of enforced selection of the first cab, then report it to the NTA.
    The drivers would often warn obviously intoxicated passengers to take a walk for a 1/2 an hour or so to sober up a bit before embarking on their journeys even if this meant losing a fare. Others would admonish fares to keep the windows open and tell them in time if the "need" arose..... You cannot do this now with heavy traffic in Dublin and the risk of being accused of defamation by overly sensitive passengers so no prior precautions can be taken before the beginning of the journey. in these days of cheap booze and industrial levels of consumption among some ( not all ) of our nightlife people you cannot be sure enough time will be available to people to exit that taxi and do the necessary.
    Is it allowed for taxi drivers to refuse fares in an intoxicated state?? Similar to bouncers refusing entry to people? Or do cab drivers have to take all comers regardless??
    Taxis are perfectly entitled to refuse fares they believe to be intoxicated. Of course if you are hyper paranoid of the risk of an accusation of defamation then you might not want to, but frankly I think you're overstating the risk of that being trotted out.
    Also in the old days drivers would insist on seeing the fare ahead of time to avoid non payments and dodging, a thing that started to happen in the latter stages of my nightlife experiences.....some would insist on pocketing an approximate amount in advance but others would merely want to see the money to be sure you had enough. Would this be allowed now??
    The NTA don't specify whether or not you can demand (part) payment up front, or evidence of means to pay, so I'd imagine it's a case by case basis. However, all it takes is another taxi in a queue not demanding this to cause a fare to be lost to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Lads, Facecakes was so traumatised by the 5km stiletto shod chase by a crazed taxi driver wielding a machete-shaped camera through the jungles of Dublin's rain forest that, in her distress and in fear for her very life she opened up an account on Boards as soon as she got home to ask total fcuking strangers "What should I do?"

Be kind to her... LoL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

OP, have you got in touch with the taxi office with your friend’s details so the taxi driver can get in touch with her to sort him out with what she owes him?

You seem terribly worried about doing the right thing. Be nice to put your mind at rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I love how a load of posters add their own bits to a story that was clearly spelt out.

The OP didn't get sick in the taxi.

Who said the OP was in high heels?...she certainly never mentioned it.

She was intoxicated? Nowhere did she mention she was hammered.

Typical boards. Read the story and add on bits to suit your own narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

mfceiling wrote: »
    I love how a load of posters add their own bits to a story that was clearly spelt out.

Op did say she was in heels. I don't know about the rest because I haven't read it all either but maybe you should heed your own advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Yeah... Apart from the fact she mentions in the first post that she "had heels on"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Worst thread ever. From OP and many respondents that can't read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Is there anything more annoying that someone sticking a camera phone in your face unsolicited?

It doesnt sound to be like the OP assaulted him, but she should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Is there anything more annoying that someone sticking a camera phone in your face unsolicited?

It doesnt sound to be like the OP assaulted him, but she should have.

A drunk woman vomiting in your car and then arguing with several drunk people about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Afroshack wrote:
    A drunk woman vomiting in your car and then arguing with several drunk people about it?

If that happened to you, would you follow a girl by herself across a dark park with your camera shoved in her face?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

Essentially a lot of taxi drivers are just glorified scumbags! With the boom times back, they are coining it, from what I gather it's easy for them to make €1300 per week in Dublin and of course it's all declared for tax purposes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If someone sticks a Camera in your face, take out your own phone, start filming (flash on), stick it 2 inches in front of their face and start asking them their name, address, what their business is with you and stand in their way.
    If they touch you, drop to the ground, shout "Help! assault! I'm injured!" and call the gardai. Demand their ID. Keep repeating "please identify yourself" until they comply.
    And that's how you deal with those clowns. Piss them off to the point of having a stroke.
    If they walk away, follow them and make sure to film their car, number plate, tax and insurance disc and faces of anyone with them.
    Inform them this is going on YouTube and Facebook as well as forwarded to the Gardai and your solicitor.
    Don't swear, don't touch them, don't threaten them, but keep talking, asking questions, repeat those questions ad nauseum, keep in their face, smile, be cheeky and if you want to push it, call them friend.
    They'll soon stop their sh*tehawking and beat a retreat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

this thread has become such a pile of vomit that you should ALL have to pay 140 quid right now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

TLDR - friend got sick in taxi. Friend leaves without paying soiling charge. Driver follows me for 5KM through pitch black park, taking videos & pics of me.

Hi, curious to know other people's opinions on this. I do not know whether to take this any further or report it. Or might be best to just write it off as a bad night.

Got a taxi home last night. My friend beside the window got sick. We get to her street and he says soiling fee is 140. We look at the damage. Tiny bit of watery sick on the car door, rest on her dress. No smell.

So we try to reason with him, talk him down to 70 since 140 is the upper limit & this could be cleaned with a baby wipe. He refuses. So the girl & her BF leave the cab. Then myself & my BF do also. He doesn't follow the girl who soiled the car, he follows us. I guess we were more sober.

We walk through an estate. Jump over a wall. I had heels on, fall & scrap my legs. He follows us into a pitch black park, at this stage I'm getting scared. I tell him he should follow the person who soiled his cab, that I didn't cause the damage so I am not liable for it.

We get onto a main road (thank God, I am bleeding and shaking at this point, with my heart racing). He starts to put his phone camera into face to take videos and pictures of me. Walks right in front of my face and I panic, push him back out of the way. Then he says to the video that I am attacking him. I'm not sure if this constitutes an attack, but on a quiet road, in the dead of night I am TERRIFIED of him.

Anyway after I push him, I run for about 1km and eventually flag a cab home. Seriously shook and cried for over an hour before I calmed down. SO....if you're still reading...would you do anything about this? I know his reg.

To add, full cab fare was paid.

Passengers in the wrong. End of!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Patww79 wrote: »

So four of you hire a cab, journey takes an hour, drops evenyone off, 70 euro fare.

Three get out - you say "but this is only ten minutes from where we hailed you - I should only pay for that".

Off the stage son!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So four of you hire a cab, journey takes an hour, drops evenyone off, 70 euro fare.

Three get out - you say "but this is only ten minutes from where we hailed you - I should only pay for that".

Off the stage son!!
    Spot the taxi driver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

TLDR - friend got sick in taxi. Friend leaves without paying soiling charge. Driver follows me for 5KM through pitch black park, taking videos & pics of me.

Hi, curious to know other people's opinions on this. I do not know whether to take this any further or report it. Or might be best to just write it off as a bad night.

Got a taxi home last night. My friend beside the window got sick. We get to her street and he says soiling fee is 140. We look at the damage. Tiny bit of watery sick on the car door, rest on her dress. No smell.

So we try to reason with him, talk him down to 70 since 140 is the upper limit & this could be cleaned with a baby wipe. He refuses. So the girl & her BF leave the cab. Then myself & my BF do also. He doesn't follow the girl who soiled the car, he follows us. I guess we were more sober.

We walk through an estate. Jump over a wall. I had heels on, fall & scrap my legs. He follows us into a pitch black park, at this stage I'm getting scared. I tell him he should follow the person who soiled his cab, that I didn't cause the damage so I am not liable for it.

We get onto a main road (thank God, I am bleeding and shaking at this point, with my heart racing). He starts to put his phone camera into face to take videos and pictures of me. Walks right in front of my face and I panic, push him back out of the way. Then he says to the video that I am attacking him. I'm not sure if this constitutes an attack, but on a quiet road, in the dead of night I am TERRIFIED of him.

Anyway after I push him, I run for about 1km and eventually flag a cab home. Seriously shook and cried for over an hour before I calmed down. SO....if you're still reading...would you do anything about this? I know his reg.

To add, full cab fare was paid.

The OP mentioned she was more sober than the friend who got sick. Id take that as they werent sober. As someone who is sober doesnt need to add the work more to the sentence.

They clearly mention they have heels on.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Does it state that the soiling charge is only related to the soiler? I would imagine all the passengers have entered into a contract and are liable. Of course you would expect the person who got sick to compensate their friends if they shared the fee.

The taxi driver shold report you all and claim expenses for unpaid fee, loss of earnings for down time.

Never heard such entitlement. "watery vomit" can't smell it.. with a few drinks on you your smell sense is not going to be clear. So don't have to pay.

And then trying to portray the driver as some sort of perv. He's entitled to prevent a fraud against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Does it state that the soiling charge is only related to the soiler? I would imagine all the passengers have entered into a contract and are liable. Of course you would expect the person who got sick to compensate their friends if they shared the fee.

The taxi driver shold report you all and claim expenses for unpaid fee, loss of earnings for down time.

Never heard such entitlement. "watery vomit" can't smell it.. with a few drinks on you your smell sense is not going to be clear. So don't have to pay.

And then trying to portray the driver as some sort of perv. He's entitled to prevent a fraud against him.
    He's not entitled to pursue someone for 5km who was not the soiler.
    Nor to harass them (pushing phone in face). If some taxi driver was doing that to my OH I'd have taken appropriate defensive action as I saw fit. If there is an issue with an unpaid fee he should call in the Gardai.

The soiler.. and not the others... is liable for an appropriate fee which is relative to the amount of soiling - which is limited by statute to a maximum of 140. You cannot charge 140 for a small drop for instance. The driver must have incurred damages and the recompense is proportional to said damages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ELM327 wrote: »
    He's not entitled to pursue someone for 5km who was not the soiler.
    Nor to harass them (pushing phone in face). If some taxi driver was doing that to my OH I'd have taken appropriate defensive action as I saw fit. If there is an issue with an unpaid fee he should call in the Gardai.

The soiler.. and not the others... is liable for an appropriate fee which is relative to the amount of soiling - which is limited by statute to a maximum of 140. You cannot charge 140 for a small drop for instance. The driver must have incurred damages and the recompense is proportional to said damages.

oh ffs as if that happened

Advertisement