Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi soiling fee - Driver followed me for 5km

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Do you think a judge would find the OP credible? 5 km in high heels scaling walls etc? Fare evasion is an offence. The OP claims the other couple left the taxi first then her and her Bf no mention of fare paid or soiling fee.

It’s an Internet forum, we were asked for opinion based on her post. That’s all we ha e to go on

Fare evasion may be an offence, but harassment is far more serious. Driver should lose his license if the story is true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

faceman wrote: »
    Driver won't should lose his license if as the story is about as true as fairies at the bottom of the garden.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,913 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Well then, read peoples replies instead of trying to level a juvenile insult. You have an issue with my comments fine address them, I would suggest however getting personal does you no favours.
    I have and you have insulted me.
    Hence why I do not wish to speak further with you on the topic.
    As previously expressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,913 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

A driver has no way of knowing if a passenger vomits due to drink or an underlying contagious health problem. Hence the need to do a deep clean as soon as possible. This in itself causes the driver to lose earnings. As a parent, I know only too well how difficult it is to eradicate the smell of vomit from a car. Vomit tends to spray, so no matter how small the amount, the complete interior of the vehicle has to be cleaned.
    How do you justify the cost of €140 each time, as a parent, that your child gets sick?
    Or... as I suspect... this is all a money making charade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

ELM327 wrote: »
    How do you justify the cost of €140 each time, as a parent, that your child gets sick?
    Or... as I suspect... this is all a money making charade.

Did the poster once mention it costs them €140 every time their child gets sick? Or did they just say that they understand why a deep clean is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

ELM327 wrote:
    I have and you have insulted me. Hence why I do not wish to speak further with you on the topic. As previously expressed.

I've insulted you? Really? Why are you still responding? Just use the ignore function. You've gone from accusing me of threatening you to insulting. Neither of which I have done. You have made personal snide comments about me and other poster's but yet you sewk to play thw victim. Maybe the internet is not for you? I done engaging with you any further.

Did the poster once mention it costs them €140 every time their child gets sick? Or did they just say that they understand why a deep clean is needed.

This poster seems to like to imply stuff that was never said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

ELM327 wrote:
    How do you justify the cost of €140 each time, as a parent, that your child gets sick? Or... as I suspect... this is all a money making charade.

This has been going back and forward a lot.

Lets get something straight. All charges incurred during a trip, are the fare. Charges such as extra people, baggage, night time premiums and soillage charges are all part of a fare.

I dont drive a taxi but do know taxi drivers. If you spill something in a taxi and dont say anything, the next customer will then sit in that. Now the taxi driver is responsible for a dry cleaning bill. So surely it is reasonable that the person who spills something is responsible for that act. To clean anything will take time. I am not talking about wiping something with tissue. Why shouldnt it be cleaned properly and left in the same condition it was before it was damaged? To clean smelly stuff it takes even more effort and involves a full vallet. This is a few hours of work. It first has to be paid for and then there is the work lost because of this. Why should the taxi driver be forced not to work just because some idiot had too much to drink?

The op is responsible and so are the people that where in the taxi with her. It sounds like her negotiations where merely to distract the driver from her escaping friend. This means she is even more guilty. As for playing the woman victim card would you ever give it a rest. 5km is a lie. She tried to run away, her boyfriend did. The driver had to chase her and when caught up she pushed him. As for the camera in her face bit i take it he wanted to get a picture to show the gardai.

I for one hope she is reported and is forced to pay the full fee. She can always get her friend it pay it if she thinks thats where the fault is.

Obvious sense of entitlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mr.H wrote: »

Lets get something straight. All charges incurred during a trip, are the fare. Charges such as extra people, baggage, night time premiums and soillage charges are all part of a fare.

I dont drive a taxi but do know taxi drivers. If you spill something in a taxi and dont say anything, the next customer will then sit in that. Now the taxi driver is responsible for a dry cleaning bill. So surely it is reasonable that the person who spills something is responsible for that act. To clean anything will take time. I am not talking about wiping something with tissue. Why shouldnt it be cleaned properly and left in the same condition it was before it was damaged? To clean smelly stuff it takes even more effort and involves a full vallet. This is a few hours of work. It first has to be paid for and then there is the work lost because of this. Why should the taxi driver be forced not to work just because some idiot had too much to drink?

The op is responsible and so are the people that where in the taxi with her. It sounds like her negotiations where merely to distract the driver from her escaping friend. This means she is even more guilty. As for playing the woman victim card would you ever give it a rest. 5km is a lie. She tried to run away, her boyfriend did. The driver had to chase her and when caught up she pushed him. As for the camera in her face bit i take it he wanted to get a picture to show the gardai.

I for one hope she is reported and is forced to pay the full fee. She can always get her friend it pay it if she thinks thats where the fault is.

Wrong. The fare is the fare. Anything else falls under "additional charges". As per the NTA website. Pesky facts.

Apart from the fare calculated on time/distance and rate, the driver can charge extra for the following:

100% agreed,

• Advertisement

I’m simply pointing out that the driver has to err on the side of caution in deep cleaning his vehicle after someone vomiting in it as one never knows when the sick person has something very contagious that his next passengers could succumb to. Fortunately, my kids only once ever threw up in the car and the stench stayed for weeks despite my best efforts.

People are entitled to differing opinions and to view stories differently. Nothing wrong with that.

I’m simply pointing out that the driver has to err on the side of caution in deep cleaning his vehicle after someone vomiting in it as one never knows when the sick person has something very contagious that his next passengers could succumb to. Fortunately, my kids only once ever threw up in the car and the stench stayed for weeks despite my best efforts.

People are entitled to differing opinions and to view stories differently. Nothing wrong with that.

Not to get too graphic but I was once ill in a taxi - not drink related, had not long had surgery - the driver couldn't have been nicer.

I paid him 50GBP in top of the fare and he helped me in to the house.

Some things are inevitable, it's how you deal with them. OPs way was out of line, what I believe of the embellishments anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Let's call the OP for what it is. Totla and utter bullsh1t.

More holes in it than swiss cheese. Totally preposterous story.

Written in early hours of the morning - probably pissed and it is written in a very similar style to several trolling threads last year.

What is quite unbelievable is the number of posters simply believe everything in the OP without question - utter suckers. (they probably believe everything in the daily mail too!)

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Let's call the OP for what it is. Totla and utter bullsh1t.

More holes in it than swiss cheese. Totally preposterous story.

Written in early hours of the morning - probably pissed and it is written in a very similar style to several trolling threads last year.

What is quite unbelievable is the number of posters simply believe everything in the OP without question - utter suckers. (they probably believe everything in the daily mail too!)

Yeah, taking someone at face value regarding something that won't effect them in any way. Suckers. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Where is the OP? Havnt heard from her in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

This is a learning for me,not that I will be sharing taxis after parties with anyone but my wife and two daughters who do not drink in a laddish manner but when I think of the amount of piss artists I shared taxis with in my impecunious youth I shudder to think where it could have led......

"A hungry feelin' came o'er me stealin'............".ahhhh dry up Luke!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Well said, as a taxi driver even someone spilling a bottle water or their baby bottle leaks on the seat puts you out of work. It happens a lot. You simple cannot pick up passengers until it dries. It costs a lot more than some people seem to think.
    Its very hard to charge someone for a bottle of water leaking on a seat, and I never would, but Id still have to drive home and get out a hairdryer and hope it doesn't stain, which it usually does then I have to properly clean the seat cause it will look terrible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The behaviour over the last few pages has not been acceptable. It is never going to be acceptable to attack the poster and not the post under any circumstances, neither is it acceptable to have personal digs.

Another thing that is not allowed is back seat moderating, fixing someones post or telling them you are reporting them or they are trolling. Just simply report the post and let the moderators do the rest.

If you can't manage to do that over the next few posts, you should expect both sanctions to be handed out as well as the thread to be permanently closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

We have exhausted all avenues, we need to hear back from the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

We have exhausted all avenues, we need to hear back from the OP

Sadly, OP may not be available for a while. I believe she went out for a 5km run in heels last night to get ready for her next night out and the taxi driver finally caught up with her. Sad but true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Or maybe the angry neighbours whose walls she scaled in her stilettos and haste to avoid paying her way have taken their cctv down to the local farda station and asked to press charges for treapass and criminal damages. Heyho. So much to contemplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Or maybe the angry neighbours whose walls she scaled in her stilettos and haste to avoid paying her way have taken their cctv down to the local farda station and asked to press charges for treapass and criminal damages. Heyho. So much to contemplate.

Jaze, you could be right. Mebbe she's being held incommunicado in the local nick already. I hope she's not expecting that pathetic BF to bail her out! When the sh!t hits the fan, he's never to be seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I was walking my dog and a guy walked pasted my with a taxi driving along on the road.
    The driver was asking him for €140.

He then told me the guy pissed in the taxi and pointed at the guys trousers that were jeans and it was easy to see the guy pissed himself.

I see this guy now every week now think thats the guy who pissed in a taxi and got away rather paying and no one might know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just to throw in a thought about the soiling charge,

If you take a taxi out of service for 2.5 hours on a busy night and you assume that the taxi could have been hired for 60% of that 2.5 hours driving at 50Kph then the loss would be approx €130 and that's before the driver has to clean up someones bodily excretions or pay for someone to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My friends has his info, so up to her want she wants to do.
    I doubt she'll pay. I'd say your group may find it difficult to get a taxi in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭dubrov

the_syco wrote:
    I doubt she'll pay. I'd say your group may find it difficult to get a taxi in future!

Yes. The DNA from the vomit would have been analysed and added to the national taxi database. No one will touch then now unless they can somehow change their DNA

the_syco wrote: »

I very much doubt that.

the_syco wrote:

Actually it depends, if the OP is in a larger city she will be fine. In a smaller town she may bring a comfortable pair of shoes for the walk home at night. I know when I drove there was certain people we would not take as a fare due to past incidents, drivers talk about problem customers. I drove in a medium size town fairly busy with an IT and a fair night clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the cost diference between 1 cup of vomit and 2 cups to be cleaned up is very little. all the cost are for getting it done in the first place.

the scratch on a car is a great example. if someone puts 1 scratch in the wing it will cost 500€ for example. but if they put 2 scratches in the same wing it wont really cost any more.

can anyone give a proper cost of having a car deep cleaned and sanitised properly by a full imsured company

• Advertisement

the cost diference between 1 cup of vomit and 2 cups to be cleaned up is very little. all the cost are for getting it done in the first place.

the scratch on a car is a great example. if someone puts 1 scratch in the wing it will cost 500€ for example. but if they put 2 scratches in the same wing it wont really cost any more.

can anyone give a proper cost of having a car deep cleaned and sanitised properly by a full imsured company

There's a place on the Long Mile Road that does this for E100:

Full Interior Valet and Wash :

Shampoo all seats, mats and carpets, Leather Shampoo and treatment, Clean and Polish all interior plastics, Hand wash and vacuum including boot, Dashboard clean, Door ledges cleaned and polished, Windows cleaned in and out, Chamois Dry, Tyre Polish and Scent.

Given the time that you're off the road and not earning, 140 should be considered a bargain.

Advertisement