Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berthing small boats in Dublin

• 17-06-2018 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm hoping to purchase a small sailboat (~2-3 m) but am stuck with options for berthing. I live in city centre without a car so leaving the boat in a driveway is unfortunately not an option.

What are the options for cheaply berthing a boat this size. Storage on land somewhere along the Liffey or Dublin bay would probably be the most ideal option for me.
    I can start contacting some of the yacht clubs, but was hoping for any tips on where to start searching.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Seb83

Thanks. Contacted them and they were very helpful. They will get back to me about this.
    Just wondering what other options are out there, marinas can sometimes be a little bit dear.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Malahide marina, you could look at some of the harbours like Skerries, loughshinney, and Rush but your heart will be broke every time the wind blows and you have to go and check on your lines, you will have a lot more piece of mind in a marina so worth the money if you can't travel also you won't be dependent on tides so will get more use out of the boat and it should be safer from theft. It's easier to work on the boat you wont need a tender to get to your boat and it can be nice to just sit in a marina when the weather is bad, you will also have electricity to keep the boat dry batteries charged and bilge pump pumping, just food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Seb83

Good advice. Concern about theft is certainly something that would move me towards marinas.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pachanco

Dunlaoghaire harbour boat yard rates.(not sure if these are still the current rates)

Note Summer/Winter rates. Give you an idea of boat yard storage prices.

http://dlharbour.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2016-BOAT-STORAGE-APPLICATION-EXPLANATORY-Updated-Mar-16.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

try a marina if you can. more safe and secure then a harbour especially this time of year with young scrotes jumping in and out of them. saw a rubber tender been nicked and "joyrided" around howth harbour last weekend while another crowd tried to nick 2 other tenders off moorings

Advertisement