Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Flooring

Options
  • 17-06-2018 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi All,

I hope I am posting in the right place. I have attached some pictures of my attic and am wondering would it be possible to remove the beams and to floor the entire attic.

Obviously I wouldn't do this myself but would it be an expensive job to do this? Are we talking full structural work which would be very expensive?

We could floor in between the beams I guess but it would be very difficult lugging boxes over beams etc.

Any thoughts would be most welcome. Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Those beams are holding the roof up and together.
    It’s possibke to do in the same way as you would be converting the attic.

Steel beams or timber structural array required.
    Engineer required.
    Budget ball park of €10k (assuming you are simply opening up the space and flooring it for storage and no stairs etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Intruiged about the galvanised header tank in a truss roof construction I would of tought the galvanised tanks were obsolete by the time truss roof construction came about.
    're cutting out those beams you'd be well advised to engage a structural engineer to design a support system to counter act the removal of those beams be it a gusset system or structural steel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Intruiged about the galvanised header tank in a truss roof construction I would of tought the galvanised tanks were obsolete by the time truss roof construction came about.
    're cutting out those beams you'd be well advised to engage a structural engineer to design a support system to counter act the removal of those beams be it a gusset system or structural steel.

Is the header tank not the black plastic tank on the right of the picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

kceire wrote: »
    Is the header tank not the black plastic tank on the right of the picture?

That's the main domestic water tank to the right.
    The galv one on the left looks to be a disconnected tank left up in the attic but it's small enough to be a header tank for the heating system usually found over the main domestic tank
    Prob disconnected to install a closed heating circuit system.

Advertisement