Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asbestos in Donegal

• 17-06-2018 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭

Any companies recommended to investigate? I have a house that was built I believe in the 70s and I'm wondering if I should get it checked out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,333 ✭✭✭✭muffler

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Roofs are normally the only place you will find asbestos products and is easily recognisable as its in corrugated sheet form. These sheets would usually have been used on very old houses (rarely though) but would have been more common on shed roofs up to the 70's or so. A slate roof should be okay but there was a time when asbestos - cement slates were used but the amount of asbestos was negligible. Im not sure in what year that practice stopped though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rare to see a pre-70s house in Donegal without an Artex ceiling which will also probably contain asbestos.

Artex had asbestos in it extremely late.

The living room had artex when we bought it.

We pulled it down and replaced it as my brother in law put his foot through from upstairs.

!!!

Actually the downstairs bathroom and back hall still have artex, but they were part of an extension put on fairly recently so should be OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,333 ✭✭✭✭muffler

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Actually the downstairs bathroom and back hall still have artex, but they were part of an extension put on fairly recently so should be OK.
    Ah, this is probably a different house than the one Im thinking of?

I suspect so.

This is my old house in Newton, not the one you're thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Some of the lads who would have been building in the 70 and before would be retired. If its a country build you might even be able to find some of the original builders. So you could get a reasonable risk assessment on likely materials for the price of a pint or two, and some polite conversation. But don't discount that a self builder may have been collecting and holding materials on site for a number of years before the build started.

It's a fairly large estate, mostly council houses. Maybe 60 in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If there are still council owned properties there and they've done one up for a re-tenanting in the past few years they would have details on asbestos somewhere. May not be that easy to get out of them though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement