Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Wheelset

Options
  • 17-06-2018 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Looking to spend between 500 and 1000 on new lightweight wheel set for my road bike. Im 85kg. Anybody have a recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

couple of buddies have picked up these recently and are very happy with them..http://road.cc/content/review/214302-dt-swiss-pr-1400-dicut-oxic-performance-road-wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Dura ace C24, best lightweight wheels I've ridden,!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Dura Ace C24 as above, fantastic wheelset. Superb hubs and so light to spin up. Very strong to and never had a days problem with them

im 85kg

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Ksyirum Elites, last for years. And don't be influenced by marketing and deep section's.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Dura Ace C24 would be a great buy. The hubs on the DA wheelsets are so smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Have a set of Dura Ace C24 and found the braking surface quite soft and was easily scored when using shimano pads. Switched to green swiss stop and they were an improvement. They are very light and stiff but because of the wear rate I would not purchase again. I mainly kept mine for good use but made the mistake of leaving them off the bike over the winter without greasing the hubs. When I put them back on the bike the rear hub was very rough and when opened up the cup/cone was badly worn (done approx 8000km) . To replace the cup and cone the shaft also needs to be replaced and cost 116 sterling. I kept riding them even though the rear is very rough. The ultegra 6800 internal may fit but as the wheels are well worn i haven't replaced them. I would be slow to purchase another set of shimano wheelset and that's coming from someone who is a big fan of shimano components. I think these wheels are more suited to someone living in a sunnier climate. I had a set of Mavic Kysrium Elites with over 30000 and never had to replace bearings!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

I have a set of Mavic Ksyiurm SLS for the last four years, Cost app 800 Euro then, not sure if today's equivalent has the same name, Very light stiff and responsive , app 20,000 KM on them , trouble free , can highly recommend them,
    btw Im similar weight

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ADW1 wrote: »
    Have a set of Dura Ace C24 and found the braking surface quite soft and was easily scored when using shimano pads. Switched to green swiss stop and they were an improvement. They are very light and stiff but because of the wear rate I would not purchase again. I mainly kept mine for good use but made the mistake of leaving them off the bike over the winter without greasing the hubs. When I put them back on the bike the rear hub was very rough and when opened up the cup/cone was badly worn (done approx 8000km) . To replace the cup and cone the shaft also needs to be replaced and cost 116 sterling. I kept riding them even though the rear is very rough. The ultegra 6800 internal may fit but as the wheels are well worn i haven't replaced them. I would be slow to purchase another set of shimano wheelset and that's coming from someone who is a big fan of shimano components. I think these wheels are more suited to someone living in a sunnier climate. I had a set of Mavic Kysrium Elites with over 30000 and never had to replace bearings!
    Check the rim for wear, 30,000 is a lot, I learned the hard way

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

ted1 wrote: »
    ADW1 wrote: »
    Check the rim  for wear, 30,000 is a lot, I learned the hard way
    I had to replace the rear at over 20,000 km as it was dished, bearings and spokes were fine. Used it on the turbo as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Hunt wheels might be worth considering. I have disc brake wheels of theirs and happy with them.

These would be similar price to the other 2 sets

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-wheels/products/hunt-race-season-aero-wide-road-wheelset-1480g-31deep-24wide

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

gaybeer wrote: »

For me both these sets of wheels are entry level, the C-24 lose a lot of weight at the rim so you really feel it when accelerating up to speed. I have a set of Ksyrium elite allroads (disc version) and they are fine wheels and should see you through many winters

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Lol Elites are entry level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Alanbt wrote: »
    Hunt wheels might be worth considering. I have disc brake wheels of theirs and happy with them.

These would be similar price to the other 2 sets

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-wheels/products/hunt-race-season-aero-wide-road-wheelset-1480g-31deep-24wide

Hunt are everywhere on FB and they must be in bed with magazine reviewers too.

Undoubtedly their wheels are good but there are a handful of wheel builders out there offering the same quality for considerably less buck.

Advertisement