Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying to US

Options
  • 17-06-2018 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

Looking at heading to US later this year possibly New York first from Dublin, I know this is a question that pops up every so often but haven't been able to find any recent threads on it.

Just wondering who is best to fly with? Delta, Aer Lingus or anyone else?

And also planning on staying in Manhattan so is it best to fly into JFK or Newark?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

May depend on if you’re going economy or business. Economy, I think Delta will probably win (unless you’re under 21, then there is less alcohol!). Business class, United is now top of the list for the run. (They finally got their finger out and did a significant upgrade).

Manhattan is surprisingly inconvenient to get to. If you’re expecting an airport train like Heathrow, you’ll be disappointed.

Newark isn’t the nicest airport, nor the easiest to get to Manhattan, but it’s a relative statement. One has to take a connector monorail from the terminal to the train station. Then one has to buy a ticket to Penn Station. Two railways do the route, so you have to pick Amtrak or NJ Transit. The latter is a commuter railway, so the seats are less comfortable, but it’s cheaper and the trains more frequent. The station was automated last I checked, so you want to compare the timetables then go to the appropriate machine. Once at Penn, you can convert to subway or taxi easily. There are taxis and coaches which will do the run, but I won’t vouch for the traffic.

I believe JFK is the simpler of the two to get from, at the most easy take the subway the whole way along to wherever your hotel is. It’ll take a very long time and you get to see some... interesting co-travelers, but it’s just the one network. And it’s under $3 per person. Also, if you’re dragging luggage, connectors won’t be pretty. Taxi and bus options are of course also available, there is a $35 bus which will take you to Grand Central, you can subway or taxi the rest of the way.

The train option from Newark is, IMO the most reliably fastest of the lot, but time of day may change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I agree a lot with what was said above.

One thing I may add though is that I've flown with the three carriers (united, delta and Air lingus as well as once changing in London and flying with virgin).

I don't think the difference between any of the three is that large not to let price be the biggest factor when choosing flights. Just my opinion.

Also, in addition to what was said above, the subway portion from jfk is c. $3 but you also have to pay $5 for the AirTran, so $8 in total should do it.

I've never flown to Newark but have heard that in terms of getting to Manhattan, the difference isn't really noticeable, granted that subway ride from jfk does seem to take forever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I believe JFK is the simpler of the two to get from, at the most easy take the subway the whole way along to wherever your hotel is. It’ll take a very long time and you get to see some... interesting co-travelers, but it’s just the one network. And it’s under $3 per person.

It's not 'one network', JFK is not on the NYC subway. You need to get the AirTrain from JFK to either Jamaica or Howard Beach and get a subway train from there to your hotel. Total cost will be $7.75 one-way. If your hotel is close to Penn Station, you'd get the Airtrain to Jamaica and the Long Island Railway to Penn.
    Also, if you’re dragging luggage, connectors won’t be pretty. Taxi and bus options are of course also available, there is a $35 bus which will take you to Grand Central, you can subway or taxi the rest of the way.

+1 dragging luggage when making the connection and getting out of the subway to your hotel won't be easy. There is a fixed taxi charge ($52 plus tolls) for a taxi between JFK and Manhattan. If there's more than one of you travelling then a yellow cab is a no-brainer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Oops. Right you are. The last time I took the subway to JFK, the AirTrain had not yet been built, the MTA shuttle was part of the base subway fare. My error.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you have luggage etc, getting a taxi into Manhattan is easier and a good way to start the holidays.

IIRC, the last time I was in Newark it was going through some much needed renovations. But to be honest, I’d probably prefer to fly to JFK. I’d fly any airline also, except American. All the others are grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

I'm with the taxi option. Set fare from jfk in. Unless your on a total budget, but it's not the city for that.
    I think economy is economy, the seat is the same. If your flying aer lingus at least you have a desk you can stand at on the return if anything goes wrong.

Aer Lingus to jfk is generally €100 more expensive than Newark.
    So maybe Newark and a taxi to break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yellow cab is absolutely not a no-brainer. Uber every time, from either airport. Good bus too from Newark that goes through the tunnel.

Agree that airport location not a big enough factor to consider anything other than price.

If staying in Manhattan isn't an absolute must (and to be honest, it shouldn't be), Hoboken in Jersey is a great spot and you have regular trains every morning to both midtown and downtown. Much more convenient for Newark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Uber is also a great bet from either airport.

Agree that no airline/airport has anything particularly special to make anything other than price the deciding factor.

Newark also has buses that run until the heart of Manhattan tenant, via the tunnel.

Is staying in Manhattan absolutely critical? I would suggest it shouldn't be and would particularly recommend Hoboken across the river in Jersey. Lovely town in its own right and the PATH train runs to 33rd Street or the WTC every few mins, with the trip taking about 20 mins. Very convenient for Newark in particular, cheaper than Manhattan, no sales tax.

Advertisement