Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermos Shuttle Chef

Options
  • 17-06-2018 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭

Got given one of these yokes by someone who wanted a bigger one and didn't have room for two. It works kinda like a slow cooker but without any energy.
    There's an inner saucepan with a lid. You prepare your dish in this pot on the hob. Instructions say to simmer the contents for 15 minutes. You then put this pot into an outer, vacuum insulated pot and put the lid on. It looses heat so slowly that it cooks the food like a slow cooker would do. Depending on the model, they claim that it looses only about 3 - 4 degrees an hour, so after 6 hours, it should still be 70 - 75 degrees c.

So far, I've tried Irish stew in it with no problems - meat falling off the bone after around 6 hours and piping hot.

I did a Korean beef cheek dish but as the pot was only around half full, it didn't retain heat very well, so I had to take out the pot and reheat it a couple of times before returning it to the outer pot. Still, the dish ended up being on the gas for a total of about half an hour as opposed to around 3 and a half hours conventional cooking.

I'm doing chicken stock in it today.

It seems like a way better idea than a slow cooker and would be great for travelling or camping. I've never used a slow cooker but I am totally converted to this. Similar to a haybox oven, too.

I guess the drawback is that it seems to be way cheaper to lust buy a slow cooker:(:(

https://www.thermalcookware.com/main.php?mod=Dynamic&id=22

Comments

Advertisement