Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBRU call for Transport Police

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    One thing I fully agree on.

I do agree staff face difficult tasks but transport police won't solve it fully.

It would also help if public order law's were strenghtened as well as giving security and guard's far more protection and power's to be able to remove violent or disruptive scum from the area. Europe doesn't have these issue's because they have strong public order law's and the local vermin are made to stay out of peoples way under the threat of a well deserved beating.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Infini wrote: »
    It would also help if public order law's were strenghtened as well as giving security and guard's far more protection and power's to be able to remove violent or disruptive scum from the area. Europe doesn't have these issue's because they have strong public order law's and the local vermin are made to stay out of peoples way under the threat of a well deserved beating.

Having had friends and relatives be the victim of some public order offences in Dublin, whilst I don't have a lot of time for the Guards in general because they've let me down in the past, on two occasions in the past when there has been people who have showed interest and really want to do something about criminals it has been really apparent that the justice system and the laws in this country allow people to get too lenient punishment to the point they just keep re-offending.

There was one Garda who was insistent that the person they caught stealing a friends phone had done it many times before but the judges don't properly punish them and how frustrated they were. If we had more zero tolerance and a proper crackdown with proper punishments there'd be less incentives to carry out these acts, but the people at them know that there is no serious punishment coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/irish-rail-worker-badly-injured-14946148

Not surprising, considering the numbers of sub-humans with multiple convictions wandering around now.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/irish-rail-worker-badly-injured-14946148

Not surprising, considering the numbers of sub-humans with multiple convictions wandering around now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/union-seeks-security-measures-after-connolly-station-assault-1.3574248?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Funion-seeks-security-measures-after-connolly-station-assault-1.3574248

Paywall one but apparently the poor lad was glassed with a bottle and suffered a broken wrist. This kind of BS needs to stop once and for all. Hopefully the guy can take a civil case against these vermin and make them suffer financially as well.

As it stands this is the exact kind of BS going on that needs to be clamped down on. If the justice system is not being hard enough on them they should tignten up the law's around this behaviour so they can't squirm out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I don't see how a transport police would make a difference here, the station was staffed, covered in CCTV and already has a full time security presence on site.

Certain people will always cause trouble (mainly as they are so high on something they just don't care). The person will very likely be known to the gardai and of course had they been locked up from a previous conviction we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Transport police great idea, but is only useful once a crime has been committed and if the courts are not going to send people down for a good stretch whats the point really.

Now nice big mug shots of these troublemakers on crimecall and in the papers might have an interesting effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I know other cities have large stations which are much better policied but the reason for this is usually as a means of counter terrorism especially in places like London, Paris and Brussels where heavily armed police regularly patrol station concourses.

If there was to be god forbid an ISIS attack in Dublin or Ireland I'm sure the government would be a lot quicker to act and provide adequate security in our stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I don't see how a transport police would make a difference here, the station was staffed, covered in CCTV and already has a full time security presence on site.

Certain people will always cause trouble (mainly as they are so high on something they just don't care). The person will very likely be known to the gardai and of course had they been locked up from a previous conviction we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Transport police great idea, but is only useful once a crime has been committed and if the courts are not going to send people down for a good stretch whats the point really.

Now nice big mug shots of these troublemakers on crimecall and in the papers might have an interesting effect

The system is already broken and adding another layer of transport police isn't going to fix it. Until politicians and judges start getting attacked nothing will change.

I'm sure there will be some civil liberties or data protection reason why mug shots won't be published, the perpetrators would hardly care whether they are published or not I reckon. These people are shameless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Far from anti rail but prehaps anti CIE!

I accept staff get trouble but I have also witnessed staff just let complete drunks/junkies onto platforms and do nothing about it. They don't inform the security lads around the station. Staff need to also take a more proactive role and I don't think you can deny this.

IE from a company level are also failing, why have they not set up text service like Luas...

This latest incident is what happens when we do what you suggested. I won't be getting involved in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    This latest incident is what happens when we do what you suggested. I won't be getting involved in future.

Good old CIE jobsworth attitude there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I'm not disagreeing but I fail to see how police would have prevented such an attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Del.Monte wrote: »

So you're a jobsworth if you put your own safety before someone else's

Yeah what do you expect when noone back's you up exactly? You really think anyone is willing to stick their neck out only to get injured by some self absorbed bollocks that thinks they can attack staff member's? Give me a break. If we had more potent deterrent's this kind of crap would not be getting as bad as it is, look at the link in my previous post the amount of assault's, agression and general violence has been increasing, it has been getting more and more dangerous and the only way this is going to stop is if the justice system start's coming down hard on violence with less suspended sentences and harsher jailtime/significant financial penalties.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

One week ban — these types of remarks over and over again is nothing short of trolling

— moderator

Correction: applied the ban to the correct user, but then quoted the wrong post first. FYI nobody was posting two days after a three week ban — it might be that bans on sub forums don’t apply on the main one

— moderator

Nope, safety's worth.

• Advertisement

I'm not disagreeing but I fail to see how police would have prevented such an attack.

They tend not to throw digs when they see the guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They tend not to throw digs when they see the guards.

Perhaps but I am not convinced, this was an extreme case and while many would be aware of guards I am not so sure about the case over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Infini wrote: »

I'll keep saying it till I'm blue (no joke intended, maybe) in the face, but one of the biggest problems facing Ireland at the minute is the complete disappearance of the Gardai presence from our streets.

A lack of visible policing is almost certainly contributing to the increase we're all seeing of anti-social behaviour and general lawlessness (this includes traffic offenses too).

Too much GDS resourcing has been put into drug and terrorism related forces, so the majority of officers these days are only seen flying past in their Armed Response cars. Not only does this embolden the anti-socialites but it disconnects the police from the communities they work in, meaning people don't trust them to be responsive or useful (among other problems).

I think a Transport Police would be completely unnecessary if we had more foot patrolling GDS around, almost constantly visible throughout the city and on various modes of public transport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

There needs to be at the very least a train host on the 5.25pm to Limerick out of Heuston.

Last night a "family" (more like a troop of howler monkeys) got on with 2 mins to go, no reservations and wanted to sit together - all 9 of em including brats.

They held up the train, stopped people from moving down to get seated and causes troubles aplenty. People moved simply to get away from them

Around Kildare, the mother of one began to change a toddler's nappy. At the table. Was utterly irate when told not to by fellow passengers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Trains have their own unique problems. At what point did Irish Rail stop having any staff visible on their trains?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

MJohnston wrote: »
    Trains have their own unique problems. At what point did Irish Rail stop having any staff visible on their trains?

The 7pm Dublin to Cork had, up until a year or so ago - a really top train host.

Kept everyone in line where needed and safe with humour. Top lad.

These busy trains need SOMEONE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Woman's hair is set on fire by teenage gang amid 'daily reign of terror' on Luas Red Line

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/womans-hair-is-set-on-fire-by-teenage-gang-amid-daily-reign-of-terror-on-luas-red-line-38897770.html
    Many residents in Dublin's south-central area are said to be afraid to use public transport following almost "daily occurrences" of anti-social behaviour and attacks in the area.
    "Some passengers that were on the tram from The Point to Tallaght never saw a security guard and many advised me they were going to social media about this.

"Passengers heard both my calls to security and the response as they were bet up against the glass calling for help and couldn't believe what they were hearing."

Advertisement