Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City of Canberra (Qantas) 747 tour NSW

Options
  • 17-06-2018 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭

Plan on doing the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society tour next month when I get to Sydney and was wondering if anybody here has done it ?

The full 747 tour works out €125 and seems very in depth.

Apparently this crowd have acquired John Travolta's 707 as well but I'm not sure if its on display yet as it need quite a bit of work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I’ve not done that one but if it’s anything like the Qantas tour at Longreach you’re in for a treat.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Was looking at that one as well. They have a 707 and 747-200 on display.

Some of the trip advisor reviews state that there are some hidden charges so it can be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Longreach is a fixed charge if you do the Platinum Tour (which I recommend). The only real catch is that flight schedules mean that you basically need three days there; one day to arrive, one for the tour, and one to leave.

There's not a lot else to see in the area really – you can do a river cruise if that floats your boat (pun intended) but that's about as far as it goes.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I've been to oz three times and i never knew this existed.i won't be going back.is there anything like this in England?germany?

For anyone thats wondering what it is :)

• Advertisement

Noxegon wrote: »
    Longreach is a fixed charge if you do the Platinum Tour (which I recommend). The only real catch is that flight schedules mean that you basically need three days there; one day to arrive, one for the tour, and one to leave.

There's not a lot else to see in the area really – you can do a river cruise if that floats your boat (pun intended) but that's about as far as it goes.

Yeah I seen that its a bit out of the way. It's a 12hr drive from both Brisbane and Cairns and I'm not too sure if I'll be heading that far out from the coast. Who knows.....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,708 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've been to oz three times and i never knew this existed.i won't be going back.is there anything like this in England?germany?

Technikmuseum Speyer has a 747

Lots (relatively speaking) of Concordes about:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concorde_aircraft_histories

Sinsheim has a Conk, a Tu-144 and lots of other stuff
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinsheim_Auto_%26_Technik_Museum

Haven't been to any of these myself, but one day...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Manchester Airport Viewing Park would be the closest to it in the UK. No 747 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Plan on doing the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society tour next month when I get to Sydney and was wondering if anybody here has done it ?

The full 747 tour works out €125 and seems very in depth.

Apparently this crowd have acquired John Travolta's 707 as well but I'm not sure if its on display yet as it need quite a bit of work.

Is that the one that sits in Illawarra airport down in Wollongong? Have seen an old 747 sitting there from the road and been told the story behind it but never been in to see it.

fullstop wrote: »
    Is that the one that sits in Illawarra airport down in Wollongong? Have seen an old 747 sitting there from the road and been told the story behind it but never been in to see it.

That's the one yeah. It held the record up until about 3-4 years ago of the longest non stop flight by an airliner during it delivery to Qantas flying from Heathrow to Sydney in 1989 taking 20hrs and 9 mins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement