Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distractions at Gigs

Options
  • 17-06-2018 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to put this out there for discussion to see if anybody else has noticed or feels the same.

We all know about the constant chatter at gigs these days, especially the outdoor summer gigs.

I have also noticed over the past few years that there are a lot of distractions on the stage itself. The crew are standing almost beside the musicians for some gigs and are 'too present' in my opinion. I get them coming on to change guitar etc. as required but in my opinion they should be off stage or behind a screen during the songs.

I also noticed at The National last night that they had a photographer on stage for the whole set. This guy was ants in his pants. hoping around and rolling on the stage over and back all night looking for dramatic angles. What happened the few pics for the first 3 songs policy and then photographers away. I don't even know how the band stuck him. they actually had a great system of static cameras in place for the big screen which worked really well but this guy was in my eyeline all night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Not an issue TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 38,409 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Latecomers arriving when the gig starts

People in the seating areas constantly going out to the bar/toliets.

Drunk dickheads standing up and blocking views people who won't shut up singing (I paid to listen to the band Not you lol)

People who get lost and go in the wrong row/section

Chatting during the quite/unknown songs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Chatting

2wPz.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I can see where you're coming from but it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is people holding their photos up and videoing every song. I can cope with people taking a 10 sec vid for their "story" or whatever. But when I look to the stage and all I can see are phones in the air, I despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

People who chat during a gig are selfish arseholes and should be removed from the venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

people who won't shut up singing (I paid to listen to the band Not you lol)

All on for giving out about people chatting and coming in late etc.

But this is too much... It's a concert, not a piano recital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I can understand why people might take videos, but I don't see the point a lot of the time. Ok, you post up a 10 second clip online and it'll be crap sound and crap video. These days, there are tonnes of live gigs professionally shot on youtube, so you can get to see live sets, gigs of most bands, or else someone else has already stuck videos up.
    Photos, fair enough, but the videos are the odd part. I don't necessarily disagree with people doing it around me, except if they have the light on. But I'd love to say "put down the phone! Enjoy the moment, the experience, there's already loads of videos online you can watch back!"

It's like the Louis CK video about parents filming their kids at school concerts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Choochtown wrote: »
    People who chat during a gig are selfish arseholes and should be removed from the venue.

Agreed. More people need to tell them to f*ck up or f*ck off out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Choochtown wrote: »

Some people think it's acceptable to chat during a gig but would never talk in the cinema.

The drink tray folk who put there tray down on the ground blocking the way out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The most annoying thing I find is the rush to applaud whenever it seems like the current piece might be ending.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If Im at a gig and I want to do the whole drunken energetic dancing stuff I move up towards the front. Or if I just want to stand and listen I hover at the back and sides. I dont understand why some people insist on doing crazy arm flailing dancing amongst the older, rhythmically challenged and/or pregnant/injured people at the back. The same applies to the people who barge their way to the front and then stand there stock still with gig-earplugs on. Some people act like theyre only there to ruin other peoples night.

If Im at a gig and I want to do the whole drunken energetic dancing stuff I move up towards the front. Or if I just want to stand and listen I hover at the back and sides. I dont understand why some people insist on doing crazy arm flailing dancing amongst the older, rhythmically challenged and/or pregnant/injured people at the back. The same applies to the people who barge their way to the front and then stand there stock still with gig-earplugs on. Some people act like theyre only there to ruin other peoples night.

The hit shouting people, will join in on the chants such as Ole ole ole and go to the bar every 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

This. The fkers who create a full golden circle all for themselves flapping their arms about.

Constant beer/toilet runs from seated areas. Sit the fk down if you've paid for a gig.

Right down the very front is the only place to be to avoid this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Mr.S wrote: »
    I can look past a lot of things at gigs, phones, chatting etc doesn't really phase me but I really hate when your at a very packaged gig / festival and just before the act comes on, you have these groups of friends who barge to the front. They always seem to be holding hands as well so they stick together. Grr

If you can spot them coming, a sly leg out around the 3rd/4th person usually leads to hilarity.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

People who lean back. Like, I get that you're into the music, but you aren't at home or in a lot of space, there's someone right behind you and it's usually me. I don't want a face full of your hair, so if you're singing along, do it without bending backwards!

https://www.facebook.com/officialaslan/videos/10156207448166609/

Check this out some of the people in the front have there backs to the stage and chatting away

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

On Friday night in Belfast at The The gig, halfway through the show, Matt Johnson said " we are an old fashioned kind of band, and I'm not mad at seeing all these mobile phones looking at me, so please put them away and enjoy yourselves".

It worked but shame he had to ask as I would say average age of the crowd was late 40s upwards. Thought they would have had more sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

People smoking at a concert does my f*cking head in

Ole ole ole ole ole ole

Low lie the fields of athenry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

NIMAN wrote: »
    On Friday night in Belfast at The The gig, halfway through the show, Matt Johnson said " we are an old fashioned kind of band, and I'm not mad at seeing all these mobile phones looking at me, so please put them away and enjoy yourselves".

It worked but shame he had to ask as I would say average age of the crowd was late 40s upwards. Thought they would have had more sense!

He did the same in Dublin, he said people should use their eyes and ears to enjoy the show. To be fair though where I was there was hardly anyone using their phone, bar the odd photo

Outdoor show, not a problem.

The people who smoke indoors are a special breed of people.

Does that happen? Wow

Sadly, you regularly see people smoking in the 3Arena in the standing section on the sly - now, without generalising, it's usually a certain type of clientele ;)

Tivoli is also a free for all at times.

That's nuts. Hard to believe they're allowed to get away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I went to a Mary Black concert in Vicar st once and the seat I was assigned was one of those folding ones near the main entrance. The show was good but my view was constantly blocked by people to and froing from the bar or toilets and having to stand up to let them go by when some asshat stood blocking the entrance.

Crowd seemed OK but this drinking and buying during the performance is not optimal. Should be like a theatre where there is a set time and place for drinks but the numbers probably do not allow this.

doolox wrote: »
    I went to a Mary Black concert in Vicar st once and the seat I was assigned was one of those folding ones near the main entrance. The show was good but my view was constantly blocked by people to and froing from the bar or toilets and having to stand up to let them go by when some asshat stood blocking the entrance.

Crowd seemed OK but this drinking and buying during the performance is not optimal. Should be like a theatre where there is a set time and place for drinks but the numbers probably do not allow this.

Christy Moore has the best thing ever for his shows. Closes the bar during his performance and if u don't have drink bought before curfew than tough **** but you get pricks bringing drinks in there other halfs bags etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

seachto7 wrote: »
    Enjoy the moment, the experience, there's already loads of videos online you can watch back!"

It's funny, for some people they prefer to watch the entire gig through their phone screen, never get that.

I still remember gigs from 20 years ago... didn't need to record it, it's stuck in me brain if it was memorable ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

doolox wrote: »
    I went to a Mary Black concert in Vicar st once.

That would do it yup

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I travel a lot and go to gigs in various countries but I’ve never found anything like the Irish for talking during gigs and for streaming to the bar constantly. I was at at sit down concert in the 3 arena last year and the number of people toing and froing out to the bar made it a very frustrating experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

dont mind talking singing etc but if some ****wit is holding up a tablet in front of my face to film the whole thing i will let them know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Christy Moore has the best thing ever for his shows. Closes the bar during his performance and if u don't have drink bought before curfew than tough **** but you get pricks bringing drinks in there other halfs bags etc
    The bar was also closed at Flight Of The Conchords in 3Arena a couple of weeks ago.

Advertisement