Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distractions at Gigs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Jgordo

I saw Jack white 3 nights in a row a fortnight ago and every single mobile phone in the audience was locked away in yondr pouches. Was glorious. People actually watched the gig.

Eddie Vedder at the 3 arena/ o2 last year was the same. Very strict no phones policy and security actively enforcing it. Was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

JaMarcus wrote: »
    See this would make me a bit apprehensive about going to The Gaslight Anthem next week. My fiancé got told she had to travel abroad with her job at short enough notice and another friend of mine is on holidays, and he would normally go.

I was going to go alone :o

I've gone to loads of concerts alone and nobody has said anything to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Rothko wrote: »
    I've gone to loads of concerts alone and nobody has said anything to me.

I go to gigs on my own all the time. Stand where you like, move around if you need to, no one talking to you during songs... And you can leave whenever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I go to gigs on my own all the time. Stand where you like, move around if you need to, no one talking to you during songs... And you can leave whenever you want.

Ya, but what about gloroius companionship; the friends you've bought along riling you that the band are s#it, just to get a reaction from you; and nagging that it's your round in the middle of one of your favourite songs; then wanting to leave early to get to a bar before closing time.

I go to nearly every gig on my own. It started off by friends, wife etc. not interested in going. But now even if they were, I'd rather go on my own. In all of the many gigs that I've been to, nobody has ever mocked as a loner. Mostly people don't even take any notice. But actually in some cases, people have gone out of their way to make some kind of chat, albeit drunken chat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

JaMarcus wrote: »
    See this would make me a bit apprehensive about going to The Gaslight Anthem next week. My fiancé got told she had to travel abroad with her job at short enough notice and another friend of mine is on holidays, and he would normally go.

I was going to go alone :o

It has only been a couple of times when I've heard people make comments, usually when waiting for the concert to start, when the crowd fills up noone knows you are alone anyway, I wouldn't let it stop me going. One moment that comes to mind is when I was walking out of a concert and walked past a group of people, one started singing one of the bands songs (which was about being alone) people may assume I was being paranoid but I highly doubt I was. I remember going to Leeds Festival in 2014 too, when I walked in the gates I heard as clear as day the girl behind me saying "He must not have any friends", I found it a bit odd as it is not like I was going to the festival (3 day), I was in the day ticket line going to watch the headliners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

o1s1n wrote: »
    Went to see Nine Inch Nails in Holland recently. Protip - don't go to Holland for standing gigs. Now I know what it's like to be a short person at an Irish show :(

They really are fecking giants aren't they?

Advertisement