Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle provisional license

• 17-06-2018 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I have a full car drivers license but I'm looking at getting a 125 cc bike. Do I need to do a theory test and a new eye sight test or can I just get it added on to my full license?
    I've been looking for the answers and it's not very clear so I thought I would ask here. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Largely depends on when you got your licence in the first place. Also, if you're over the age of 24 you can go straight for the A licence, there's no restriction on CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Damok72

Thanks for the reply. I got my full license around three years ago. I'm 46 years old now so age should not be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I think you'll need to do the Theory Test, I think it was pre-2013 that allowed it to carry over, but I'm sure someone else will correct that.

You'll need to do the IBT anyway. Personally I'd recommend going for a bike around 600cc or so to start off with. There's a world of difference between a 125 and 600cc bike, but they're still easy to handle for a learner.

When you do the IBT the instructor will have a range of bikes you can use, from 125 upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Damok72

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I think you'll need to do the Theory Test, I think it was pre-2013 that allowed it to carry over, but I'm sure someone else will correct that.

You'll need to do the IBT anyway. Personally I'd recommend going for a bike around 600cc or so to start off with. There's a world of difference between a 125 and 600cc bike, but they're still easy to handle for a learner.

When you do the IBT the instructor will have a range of bikes you can use, from 125 upwards.
    I only need the bike for a short run into work so a 125 would be enough as I'm only going into the city centre, but I would be better off taking the test on a bigger bike for in the future I could switch up in size.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Once you try a bigger bike then you won't want a 125.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Damok72 wrote: »
    I only need the bike for a short run into work so a 125 would be enough as I'm only going into the city centre, but I would be better off taking the test on a bigger bike for in the future I could switch up in size.

I'd definitely do the A test and as said you can try a few instructor bikes. 125 will be fine for going into the city but a 400+ will give you more options if you want to go somewhere other than the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

I recently got my learner permit through the pre 2006 loophole. Prior to October 2006 the theory test used to cover both bike and car.
    If you have a pre October 2006 theory test on file you do not need to do another theory test. Anything post October 2006 and you will need do do another theory test for the bike.
    If you call the NDLS they will tell you the date of your theory test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Also depending on your size, 125 can be very small and you'll look ridiculous.

There is also a lot to be said for road presence with a bigger bike.

95% of my bike is used for commuting into Dublin city centre and it's a 1200 cc bike, but for me the riding position, view and road presence is great, which I wouldn't get on a lot of smaller bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sparky85 wrote: »
    I recently got my learner permit through the pre 2006 loophole. Prior to October 2006 the theory test used to cover both bike and car.
    If you have a pre October 2006 theory test on file you do not need to do another theory test. Anything post October 2006 and you will need do do another theory test for the bike.

presumably if you got your full B licence before 2006 but never had to do a theory test because they didnt exist at the time that you would have to do one for a provisional A licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Damok72 wrote: »
    Hi I have a full car drivers license but I'm looking at getting a 125 cc bike. Do I need to do a theory test and a new eye sight test or can I just get it added on to my full license?
    I've been looking for the answers and it's not very clear so I thought I would ask here. Thanks.

What height and build are you ? I'm going to echo what a lot of the others have said and dont start on a 125.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

presumably if you got your full B licence before 2006 but never had to do a theory test because they didnt exist at the time that you would have to do one for a provisional A licence?

Correct, I was in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'd definitely do the A test and as said you can try a few instructor bikes. 125 will be fine for going into the city but a 400+ will give you more options if you want to go somewhere other than the city centre.

Get yourself a Honda MSX125

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Even if you only want a 125cc, you may as well go for the A license, just in case you want to go up in cc in the future. (you will, trust me.)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 insomniac32

Hi Im looking to get back onto a bike. Got a learner permit back in 2004 for both a car and a bike. Got the car licence but moved to Oz before taking the test for the bike. Where did you hear about this loophole? Cant find any infor anywhere but I would qualify for it. Otherwise looks like Ive to get a PSC in order to sit the theory test (Dont mind taking the test but the ID requirement is ridiculous. Dont know why I cant use my cat B licence as ID or my passport!?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

Hi Im looking to get back onto a bike. Got a learner permit back in 2004 for both a car and a bike. Got the car licence but moved to Oz before taking the test for the bike. Where did you hear about this loophole? Cant find any infor anywhere but I would qualify for it. Otherwise looks like Ive to get a PSC in order to sit the theory test (Dont mind taking the test but the ID requirement is ridiculous. Dont know why I cant use my cat B licence as ID or my passport!?)

The PSC was exactly the reason I wanted to avoid retaking a theory test!
    I read about others here on boards that had used the pre 2006 loophole. I then rang the NDLS and asked what theory test they had on file for me, did it cover car & bike? Straight away they said yes covers both so just apply for the learner permit. Did that few weeks ago and the lady at the counter asked for my recent theory test cert, I told her to check her system and she will see my previous one is still valid as it covered car and bike. Job done no issues at all.
    Start by ringing the NDLS and verify your previous theory test is on file and that it covers car and bike.

Start by ringing the NDLS and verify your previous theory test is on file and that it covers car and bike.

Sound Ill give them a call :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭woody84

I'm in the same boat but went into this ndls feckers today and tutned me down on the bike permit.

woody84 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat but went into this ndls feckers today and tutned me down on the bike permit.

I rang them last week and the said my theory test from 2004 covers me for the bike permit so I don't have to do another theory test. Saves me getting a PSC which is the only thing I was concerned about.

I did mine in 2001 I think. But I did another theory test for the truck permit in 05/06 and it may be that someone in ndls messed up my records

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The PSC requirement is no longer valid.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Lodged a complaint with the RSA. Might make someone sit up and see that I am entitled to the permit without a cert. Obviously someone did something wrong when they have no record of the first theory test I did.

Advertisement