Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

macOS Hight Sierra (MacBook Pro) and 5Ghz AP

• 17-06-2018 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi,

I have set two separate Access Points (different names) on my SuperHub (Virgin) for 2.4 and 5Ghz.

Since a few weeks I was not able to connect any more on my 5Ghz AP, more exactly I was able to connect but had no internet access... 2.4 was always fine.

After doing some testing at work were I never had any issues with the 5Ghz wireless, I found that they have their 5Ghz AP set to channel 44. Mine at home was on auto and set to ch 116.

I changed it manually to ch 44 and bingo! No internet problem any more when connected to the 5Ghz AP.

Can some one more technical gave me some explanation on what is happening?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It could be interference. From a wireless phone for example.

Also a lot of 5GHz WiFi computer/devices don't support the higher 5GHz channels. I have my hub set to channel 40 for this reason as I have several first gen Firesticks and other 5GHz devices in the house which won't work with the higher channels. Instead of separate SSIDs I use MAC filtering on the router to force my Macs to connect to the 5GHz radio because otherwise they'll just be lazy and use 2.4GHz. I blame the hub as I never had this problem with my old Airport Express.

i've never had much luck with auto settings on routers. Use your Mac's wireless diagnostics app to find the best channels for 2.4 and 5GHz. Or just pick one and see how it goes.

Advertisement