Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite Turbo Muin Smart Turbo Trainer - Anyone use one?

Options
  • 17-06-2018 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭

Moving house in the coming months and herself is not a fan of my old noisey turbo trainer for the winter months so I've been looking at other options.

The Elite Turbo Muin Smart Turbo Trainer is an affordable direct drive trainer which I'd like to move to which would get rid of one wheel around the spare room.

There's a few older threads on similar trainers, does anyone have reviews on this one? Would be using it with Zwift.

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Moving house in the coming months and herself is not a fan of my old noisey turbo trainer for the winter months so I've been looking at other options.

The Elite Turbo Muin Smart Turbo Trainer is an affordable direct drive trainer which I'd like to move to which would get rid of one wheel around the spare room.

There's a few older threads on similar trainers, does anyone have reviews on this one? Would be using it with Zwift.

Thanks
    J

Haven't used it myself but from what I read you would be better splashing out an extra 200 or so for an Elite Direto if you find a good deal on one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have one. It is very quiet, just the noise of the drive train really (so depends how well you have that set up/ maintained!). It's direct drive but not smart. I use TrainerRoad, so with the sensor it works fine with that (power meter in the post, so hoping to compare the virtual power of the sensor to actual power soon enough), but haven't used zwift as I don't have the PC hardware to run it. I think it comes with the miruso sensor now, where as that was an added extra cost when I went for it.

If I was going again, I'd probably try to stretch for the directo or flux. There wasn't the options in that price range when I was buying. But the directo is still double the price of the muin. Both available in halfords, so axa discount available. I spent a long time weighing up an upgrade to a smart direct drive versus keeping the muin and getting a transferable power meter, and ultimately have decided on the power meter.

fwiw the TrainerRoad guys would put direct drive as more important than "smart", as in they'd say a "dumb" direct drive is better than a "smart" wheel on, as there's less variables like tyre pressure, roller tightening etc with direct drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Farloo

I got this trainer last winter and thought it was great value. I used it with trainer road and was very good for training with power.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Fitted the power meter and did a ramp test last night. Now admittedly my personal prep probably wasn't the best going in, but a big difference in the result with actual power versus my last test with the miruso b+ sensor. Consistency with the readings is what matters for training, unless you're trying to compare between meters, but it was definitely an ego bruiser.

Advertisement