Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal issue for online abuse

• 17-06-2018 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

I received word that someone had taken a picture of my page and my CHILDREN to post on a ban hunting with dogs site and I've gotten hate off people because I hunt etc. Now I don't care about me hunting etc but they have posted pictures of my children on it.
    Is this a legal issue because I have no permission for pictures of my children on it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

If it's face book your talking about and you can find the details of the group or post you can report to face book directly and claim harassment of you and your family.
    If you can access the page yourself then you can report it directly but other wise if it's closed then you'll need to get more info or a screen shot if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I dont know anything about nosebook or the likes but i do know if that was me and someone put up pictures of my kids like that id be straight round to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

I received word that someone had taken a picture of my page and my CHILDREN to post on a ban hunting with dogs site and I've gotten hate off people because I hunt etc. Now I don't care about me hunting etc but they have posted pictures of my children on it.
    Is this a legal issue because I have no permission for pictures of my children on it

Its harassment. Screenshot for evidence and you should report to Gardaí. Then report to Facebook to remove images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Depends also where and when the pic was taken.If it was in a public place,you have little or no expectation of privacy.If it was taken on private property without your consent or in an intrusive manner.IE a UAV or a telephoto lens,you have some case. Good point ,is, however, minors are involved without parental consent of their picture being used for harassment or intimidation of both them and you.. You also have good grounds to go after those pks legally.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Depends also where and when the pic was taken.If it was in a public place,you have little or no expectation of privacy.If it was taken on private property without your consent or in an intrusive manner.IE a UAV or a telephoto lens,you have some case. Good point ,is, however, minors are involved without parental consent of their picture being used for harassment or intimidation of both them and you.. You also have good grounds to go after those pks legally.

Couple of corrections as I wouldn't mix intent and location of the photo.

Yes, you can take a photo of anything you can see from a public space. You can take pictures of minors without permission in public.

You can take pictures from public space onto private property. There is no law forbidding that. You can not be on private property and take images without permission (though spaces like shopping centers are a grey area unless they explicitly state no photography) but to be clear its traspass is the crime or invasion of privacy.

Anyway, yes you cannot take pictures where you have expecation of privacy. Ie someone getting changed and you take picture through bedroom window. You cannot also harass someone to take a picture. For example, it can be argued that if you are in public and someone takes your photo, you can tell them to stop and walk away. They don't have to stop taking your photo as you walk away but if they start following you to do it, it's harassment.

In this case though, it sounds like the photos were lifted from Facebook and the pictures are being used to insight harassment (and you can argue hate laws too) so you should legally report this to the Gardaí.

Source: I'm a photographer and been at this for a long time lol.

• Advertisement

I would agree with Reati here, it is not the case of the photos themselves as I would suspect they are or where on a public domain but the way in which the pictures and associated material is been used in a negative abusive manner.

Subjects that are reportable to Facebook:
    Screenshot_20180618-014350.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I am not on Facebook but I had to join it to see it for myself. Screenshots were taken from my Instagram page and posted onto a ban hunting with dogs page on Facebook. I don't hunt with dogs for a start. And the screenshots were of myself and my children in my house and in the park etc. I had one fella send me a private message on Instagram saying he'd burn my house down with my children in it. TBH I'd rather go after him personally myself but there's a lot of them with these stupid threats that I'd rather go to the Garda over and have the page and its feeds taken down and its pages it shares with. How sad can someone be and there's plenty of other lads on it who have had the same happen to them aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Sounds like a hate crime to me. Let guards deal with it. That person has threatened your family let the law deal with it. No one is anonomous on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Print the screen shots and drop into the guards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

No matter what your viewpoint is on hunting, using photos of children in this manner is really inappropriate. Have you messaged the page administrators requesting they remove the photos with your children? Do this, document it, then make the same request to Facebook. If they continue to post photos with your children, take your evidence to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

I am not on Facebook but I had to join it to see it for myself. Screenshots were taken from my Instagram page and posted onto a ban hunting with dogs page on Facebook. I don't hunt with dogs for a start. And the screenshots were of myself and my children in my house and in the park etc. I had one fella send me a private message on Instagram saying he'd burn my house down with my children in it. TBH I'd rather go after him personally myself but there's a lot of them with these stupid threats that I'd rather go to the Garda over and have the page and its feeds taken down and its pages it shares with. How sad can someone be and there's plenty of other lads on it who have had the same happen to them aswell

that dude that threatened to burn your house down with your kids in it is in serious trouble.

Bring the screenshots to the guards he's looking at jail time

Even if it's a fake Instagram he can easily be tracked down

Unfortunately this sort of thing is not new, have a look through FB and you'll see this is a common tactic. You tube is a magnet l for haters as well, either hairy knuckled trolls or bigots.

I'm not condoning it in any shape or reason but most of these sad twats are nothing but key board warriors, either immature kids/ teenagers or fluffy bunny slipper whareing tree huggers who never set foot off the beaten track.

It is unfortunate that we have to guard every little thing nowadays, I hope you get satisfaction bit as said on here let the authorities deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I had one fella send me a private message on Instagram saying he'd burn my house down with my children in it.

Straight to the Gardaí with that one. Threats of violence against children, arson etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

It’s a UK based FBgroup <snip> with many Irish contributors. A lot of nasty individuals on that group and I have seen others asking for pictures of their kids to be removed, only to be jeered and mocked by the group admin and posters. A couple of individuals from your parish have made comments. I will send you screen shots if it’s any use to you

No matter what your viewpoint is on hunting, using photos of children in this manner is really inappropriate.

Absolutely. To be honest, I don't approve of hunting personally myself but this carry on is disgusting to me. It's crazy to put your kids online or target you like that. They deserve to be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Dodder, really sorry to hear you're going through this.

My advice is go the legal route. I have kids and I would not stand for these threats, however hollow they may look from our outside perspective.

AGS will try to fob you off, don't take any prevarications from them, push this and push it hard - find those keyboard warriors and make sure they never get the chance to carry out their threats on anyone.

Play them at their own game, and win.

Remember a certain anti hare coursing letter-writer who allegedly threatened people around 1990? He's all respectable now, but a court date was enough to mend his ways, even though the case fell because he was seen having a chat with a witness beforehand.

The 1980s more like...:p

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

homerhop wrote: »
    It’s a UK based FBgroup started by Judi Hewitt with many Irish contributors. A lot of nasty individuals on that group and I have seen others asking for pictures of their kids to be removed, only to be jeered and mocked by the group admin and posters. A couple of individuals from your parish have made comments. I will send you screen shots if it’s any use to you

Thank you but it's ok. The picture has been taken down apparently but god knows what other pages it was shared to.

Thanks to all who have commented with advice and help. Compared to the lads in work who said to find them and batter them😂 That'd only make it worse being a gun owner. I am only home from work so I'll have myself a shower and head up with the screenshots to show them.
    Thanks again to all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Perhaps something to think about : you can make your instagram page private which means you have to approve all followers...if it already is private then you may want to try to figure out who took the images from your instagram and shared them with these groups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

All your comments on their page have been removed. But the original screen shot is still up. What’s sad is their is some dickhead claiming to be in a gun club agreeing with them

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

These people tend to be complete and utter losers in life. The only reason those pictures were shared on Facebook was to get at you and the shooting community as a hole. Their all cowards but do keep in mind they are probably a little stunted mentally from a traumatic childhood and lack of socialization just like a bad Patterdale Terrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

First Gardai all the way make a complaint about the individuals and the organisation. Then the UK police force with the same complaints.
    I would not react in anyway but insist the Gardai deal with the harassment particularly if there are any local involved. Eg Get the Gardai to explain the harassment legistation and the misuse of telecoms legislation. Ditto the uk force. The uk had designate some of the nutters attacking the Scottish company Hunt... Life Science as terrorist so they may be "happy" to have a complaint against the group.
    The tech section may give you tips on what data can be mined from FB & IG and any other social media you can think of. Lock the data down on your side and let family know to be cautious about their settings.
    A sockpuppet ID and a throw away sim may be a good investment to research the otherside but don't use it as a weapon.
    Look to see if you, your partner or your childern's names or near family or home address come a google bing or other search engine.
    Apparently you can also do a data search for images I don't know how.
    If you can match any of the Facebook people to instagram report on both sites for the death threats.
    If the pictures were taken by an individual or stolen off your page I would contact Data Protection commissioner ireland and uk as it is personal data collected without your or your childern's consent, and see if anything can be done from that side.
    I would check if any of the images carry geo-location data and turn off this option on all tech in your household that can take a photo.

Thanks to all who have commented with advice and help. Compared to the lads in work who said to find them and batter them&#55357;&#56834; That'd only make it worse being a gun owner

Nah,do a Tommy Robinson on them, go with two uninvolved witnesses and a video to their address,and ask to speak to Mr/Mss Keyboard warrior /hunt sab. Tommy did that to a couple of muppets that threatened his family, and filmed it.No violence or threat of it, just wanting to know why you want to burn my house down and hurt my kids?I'm here now so now you have a chance to say your bit like a man to my face.FB the video then, nothing more ego deflating when your victim turns out to be a large wolf and has the moxxie to knock on your door.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Sorry to hear about this Dodder, must be a nightmare. That social media rubbish is a den of brain doner trolls, creepy stalkers and the like. I never seen the point of it and never went near it.

But this is unacceptable, threats of violence against your kids is beyond the pale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Print out the pages with the threats on them dodder and report it to the local garda station.bring the printed out pages with you and ask the guards to have a look at them.they are v serious threats that you outlined and should be reported to the guards immediately.best of luck with it.dont go after him personally.go straight to the guards with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Judy Hewitt AKA "screaming Judy" already has a criminal record and is a total nutter of 1st class order.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11188598/Anti-hunt-campaigner-guilty-of-assaulting-terrier-man.html

http://www.huntsabs.co.uk/hunt-sabs

Her homepage http://www.walesagainstanimalcruelty.org.uk/id8.html Seems to have about 5 FB pages as well.

So yeah good reasons to have this removed and also to have AGS inform the UK police as well.

LATER.
    Found the group and thread on FB, i think..delightful bunch of hypocrites.

All non-violence and double standards.

You forgot bullsh!t and lies there

Straight from that homepage, right in the middle of it :

CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING SONG BY SINGER SONG WRITER SARAH McLACHLAN.

Usual loopers stunt of trying to associate something famous with them

Jonathan Melvoin was the keyboardist for the Smashing Pumpkins before his death after a heroin overdose in 1996.

"I wrote "Angel" after being on the road for almost two years straight and was both mentally and physically drained," McLachlan wrote. "I went to a cottage north of Montreal to relax and write and read an article in Rolling Stone about the Smashing Pumpkins keyboard player who had OD'ed in a hotel room."

She continued, "the story shook me because though I have never done hard drugs like that, I felt a flood of empathy for him and that feeling of being lost an lonely an desperately searching for some kind of release."

Does anyone know if I can get the page taken down from Garda and all the others who shared it aswell? It's really getting out of hand now and my own other half is scared. She shouldn't be but she can't help it now she's not talking to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

What the gardai said ? I think the problem is, once its on the web, its on the web. Removing it from fakebook will only do so much.

Advertisement